Rate Dr. Joseph G. Jemsek

Dr. Joseph G. Jemsek's Ratings

My entire family has Lyme. It took me years to get a diagnosis. We finally made our way to him after seeing many doctors (in Canada and the US) and 3 LLMD's because we were not seeing much progress and had been referred to him many times (by other doctors who thought we needed more specialized care and fellow Lyme patients alike), but the wait list and cost of the initial visit were deterrents since 5 are in treatment. His office is one of the few that will see children, and after the kids had not improved elsewhere, we bit the bullet, (which is really not any higher than any other LLMD really) and were seen right away. They send detailed written copies of each visit, pages in length, which is worth its weight in gold if you have Lyme. Keep in mind, they like to see you stable before starting treatment, so do what you can to get yourself somewhat balanced, since treatment is aggressive (but WORKS!!) but they don't want to start it if your body is not ready. So you should start getting things under control, if possible, while you wait for a visit. Take your supplements, start getting your sleep improved, body detoxed so it can handle Herxheimer reactions. It will save you some time if you have those things in place the first visit. I have to say, for the first time ever we are improving, and not backsliding. Many LLMD's try to replicate his approach, but he is cutting edge and is forever tweaking your treatment with the latest protocols to treat biofilms and nasty coinfections, and trust me, we have seen a LOT of different approaches. This is the first time we do not feel like we are one step forward, two steps back, but a steady improvement. We adore all of the staff, and love Tara, she is truly amazing. Just saw Rachel for the first time this summer and think she is incredible too. I finally decided to see Dr Jemsek himself because I needed to hear his prognosis because I have had this for 40 years, and completely trust him. He is not phased by the level of disability we have, and know we are in the best hands... finally. I cannot tell you how good that feels. My only regret is that we did not get to see him sooner, thinking that all LLMDS are the same, even the good ones, or that we had treatment that was pointless for so many years. We wasted SO much money by NOT seeing him first. And if I was just speaking as one patient, my opinion would be far less weighted but I speak for 5 of us, and have seen remarkable improvement in 1 year as opposed to 5 years elsewhere. The entire office is supportive, and understand the challenges of Lyme, no one makes you feel stupid or scattered, and every attempt to help you is made, walking you through this maze of treatment, nutrition, detox, and resources. They are all very knowledgeable and incredibly talented healers who listen carefully and cure the sickest of all people. I am living a mother's nightmare, having her kids close to death on many occasions, and battling this myself as well, and for the first time ever, I think my kids will have a life, and my fear for their futures has settled into a knowledge that they have a avenue to health and advocacy even if I am not hear to blaze the trail for them. I feel like we have found "the" right doctors.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2623639].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 18, 2014

I join the other patients here and wish to thank Dr J and most especially Kim Fogarty for giving me back life and joy and peace and freedom. Kim Fogarty is exceptionally smart and her treatment plans are well thought out. She listens very well and probes with questions to really understand symptoms and as you go further into treatment, she is very understanding of antibiotic side effects and works towards a balance between progress and comfort. She really did save my life

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2547911].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2014

This man, with God's help, saved my life. Yes, I'm still in treatment, but he helped me get from almost perpetually immobile, routinely blind, deaf, dumb, in seizures, paralyzed, and sometimes *clinically dead* to a level of recovery-in-progress that literally makes my family and friends (not to mention me!) weep for joy! We still have *much* to do, but he is brilliant, dedicated, personable, and extraordinarily creative when it comes to finding solutions to seemingly unsolvable problems. His thoughts as a researcher, scribbled on an envelope, are worth more than many major scientific publications! As one might expect with anyone operating a huge practice, sometimes new staff can take awhile to learn how things work, so be sure to get to know his core staff, who are extraordinary, also brilliant, and very compassionate people!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2543391].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 19, 2014

There is absolutely no one else like him....... He is brilliant, he is very busy and you should call during office hours and go; you will not regret it---I was a former IV nurse for him in Charlotte and witnessed miracles.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2538993].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 16, 2014

Saved my life.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2509794].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 22, 2014

I had been limping through the last 3 decades with an increasing number of ailments, trying my best to deal with the symptoms individually - then a year ago, my health took a sudden and severe dive. i could feel my body shutting down, but local docs could not figure out what was wrong. My husband and I finally found our way to the Jemsek Specialty Clinic in DC. Marjan Ameri (our PA) & Dr. Jemsek diagnosed me with Late-Stage Lyme Disease at my initial consultation. The follow-up Brain SPECT Scan supported my clinical diagnosis: "Neuroborreliosis / Lyme Encephalopathy". At this point, Marjan & Dr.J strongly recommended IV antibiotic treatment. Now understanding the severity of my diagnosis & the urgency for treatment, we immediately signed up. Money was no object, as this was a life/death situation - the "rainy day" that you save for. So far, i have progressed according to Dr.J's projections. I have hope again - I literally owe Dr.J my life... not sure if there is a rating that would be high enough for that. :)

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2067424].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 23, 2013

Staff in the office helpful. Dealing over the phone or on-line maybe not. DO NOT confuse minor or office staff with the real-care-givers. Ms. Ballas and Ms. Walsh have been most helpful in the past. My problem now is their Patient Portal which appears to allow the website to access any medical records and I do not allow mine to be public. That being said, Dr. J and Anne W. are, in a word, superb. At my first appointment in November 2010 (after Dr. Susan Marra, ND diagnosed my Lyme while I was in Seattle and probably saved my life) I received the most thorough exam I have ever, in some 50 years, had. Plus they ordered extensive bloodwork. I did not have to have IV and the regimen of supplements and antibiotics (yes, they ARE tough at times) has worked. I am now on maintenance and have the energy to hike, dance, and run a 7 day a week business. The best thing - Dr. J EXPECTS you to use your commonsense and intelligence. If you don't want to do that, he is not the doctor for you

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2067423].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 9, 2013

I would like to say he is an amazing doctor. I honestly think he is. His staff is a nightmare, and I think his staff run the clinic, make all the major decisions, and are who you see and talk to after your one visit with him. He diagnosed me with late stage chronic Lyme which I have probably have had all my life. Oral meds are not helping me. I feel myself fading more and more everyday. When he saw me he wanted me on IV meds asap, which is what I wanted. His staff dilly-dallied for weeks. And would never tell me a price for IV therapy. I kept asking, and the "financial deparpartment" would never call. I finally spoke to the one woman that is the "Financial Department". IV therapy is $35,000. Or, they will generously divide it up for you into monthly payments of $6000 a month. I am so hopeless right now I don't even know what the point is soy even taking the medicine I am on that is barely helping me. Do they not understand that people are not rich? I don't recommend him

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2067422].votes_count ]]

Submitted March 23, 2012

My ratings are based on the fact that this doctor does not order blood work for my friend who is a patient of his. Instead he tells her that he knows she has Lyme Disease, so the blood tests are not necessary. I suppose this is one way to keep her coming back, cash in hand.I have been with her for her appointments and seen this happen.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2067421].votes_count ]]

Submitted March 19, 2012

Was able to diagnose me after going to several other doctors. He was very attentive and spent plenty of time with me. He has so much knowledge about his specialty. Would not change doctors for the world.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2067420].votes_count ]]