Rate Dr. Kathleen B. Hurwitz

Dr. Kathleen B. Hurwitz's Ratings

I cannot say enough about Dr Hurwitz, her staff and her office. I have four children - the youngest is now 14, and she has doctored all of them from when the youngest was a toddler. She can seem abrupt at times (to address the folks below who needed more hand-holding), but she KNOWS her stuff, and I'd rather have her at my child's bed-side than any other doctor. She took the time to have a long talk with my teenaged daughter about an important personal medical decision, and then after referring to another doctor, called my daughter to see how things went. She answers the phone herself after hours, and always has time to squeeze in a sick child, same day. She is so experienced that she almost always diagnoses very quickly, and is usually pressed for time with an office bursting with children, but she is ALWAYS RIGHT. She called me at home to inform me that my other daughter had salmonella and explain how the CDC would contact me and how to handle it. She showed up on a Sunday morning when my son was rushed to the hospital with extreme nausea - the surgeon thought it was appendicitis and was ready to operate, but Dr Hurwitz came literally RUNNING when I called (the office number, which she ANSWERED herself on a Sunday) because she wanted to review the test results herself. Thank God she did - my son had a lymph node infection, NOT appendicitis, and she was the one who caught it. She prescribed antibiotics and he was better in hours. People who expect this busy and highly rated doctor to coo over their baby with a head-cold will likely find her a disappointment. But people who want the best possible medical care for their children will appreciate her and her amazing staff. The person who talked about misdiagnosis below gave no details, probably because there aren't any - I consider this type of review to be trolling. I have given several examples of proper diagnosis, excellent bedside manner and going beyond the expected with medical care, because my review is for real. I have never waited more than 15 minutes to be seen, no matter how busy the office. The office has handled records wonderfully, even through some difficult requirements by the school system and other needs. Dr. Hurwitz's hurses, admin gals, techs and PA and NPs are wonderful and highly competent. This is absolutely the best pediatrician within a 50 mile radius and I'm so grateful she is ours.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2513903].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 26, 2014

Hurwitz is rude and arrogant. She is super rushed and does not care. Will never take my children to her again. Maybe if she actually was polite and spent time with her patients, then she would not misdiagnose so much. She is a sad representation for Pediatricians. Go to someone else who spends time and doesn't flaunt her MD.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802891].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 3, 2013

Today was and will be my last visit to Dr. Hurwitz. I have given her many chances and today was the last. She never acknowledges my 5 year old and ALWAYS makes me feel like an over anxious mom with invalid concerns. She thought I had my daughter there for a cold, which was not the reason. She didn't even take time to read her chart to find out why we were there. She is always half way out the door before 2 minutes go by. My daughter deserves better care, a doctor who will actually listen. Dr. Hurwitz has no bedside manner and loves to talk about herself. You take your sick kid in for care and you end up hearing all about the doctor. That's the last time I leave in tears!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802890].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 21, 2012

Dr. Hurwitz is an AMAZING doctor to both of my boys, particularly with my infant, who has several health concerns. From the 1st visit on, she has gone above and beyond for my kids. She knew there was something wrong with my baby, not knowing exactly what it was, she had him admitted to Rady's immediately,followed up with me personally every day of the 14 day stay and continues to stay in close contact with all of his specialists as we work toward a diagnosis. She does go through appts quickly, but she ABSOLUTELY slows down when necessary and is EXTREMELY thorough. She may not be "lovey dovey" but its clear to both my boys (and to my husband & I) that she cares deeply for my boys' well being& she will not be satisfied until we have a solid diagnosis and treatment plan. If your child has any type of serious or chronic illness, this is the Dr. you want on their side, and she is highly regarded by her peers. Someone here suggested she bases care on ability to pay and that is SO UNTRUE!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802889].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2011

Dr. Hurwitz is the BEST doctor I have ever known! To her your kids are not just patients. She remembers the little things. When you call her office after hours, SHE answers the phone, not a call service. My sister has two girls that were patients of hers. They moved to Arizona and shortly after they got there, my niece got sick (nothing major, just common cold stuff). My sister called Dr. Hurwitz and she gave her some advice. She could have told her that she was no longer a patient, but she didn't. She is a great doctor and an amazing woman! I couldn't imagine taking my kids anywhere else. Not to mention her staff is out of this world!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802888].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 13, 2011

Dr. Hurwitz is so great! She alleviates any fears I may have. It can be a little difficult to get an appt. with her but she always has other staff ready to see you if she is booked. She has been a Godsend for me! Love her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802887].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 26, 2011

dr hurwits rushed us in and out of her office everytime we were there..her bedside manner is the worst..she doesnt even say hi to the kids most the time and i too felt like when i asked her a question i was being a bother/wasting her time. i took my kids to her for years before finally saying enough is enough..and she seemed to treat her patients differently based on their "insurance"..which is why im not surprised to have seen that most of her 5 star ratings were from "bluesheild/bluecross" patients! i was disgcusted by the way she acted with some of her medical patients! sometimes she almost comes off like she's yelling at you. i will not be going back there anymore! the only nice thing about her office was the staff! and i too noticed the messyness of the waiting rooms!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802886].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 23, 2011

Dr. Hurwitz staff is amazing; however, our experience with her was very disappointing. I took my son there for just over a year and decided to place him back with his original pediatrician after I had baby #2. I felt she gave the same spill with every well check. She doesn't take the time to talk to the kids or the parents. She rushes into the the room and rushes out. I'm a pretty laid back mom and have very few questions, but when I would ask her a question it felt as though I was wasting her time. I also felt she and her PA would just write a perscription to get you out of the office rather than take the time to see if the child was really sick. On the positive side, Dr. Hurwitz will answer her phone no matter what time of day or night it is, which is AMAZING!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802885].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 2, 2011

TOOK DAUGHTER TO HER 15 TO 20 TIMES FOR WAKEING UP AT NIGHT SCREAMING. AFTER MANY DIFFERENT AND WRONG DIAG. NOT SOLVEING PROBLEM I DEMANDED TO GO TO CHILDRENS HOSPITAL WHERE STAFF LAUGHED AT WHAT WAS WRITTEN ON HER CHARTS I GAVE THEM FROM HER. CHILDRENS HOSP. IS NOW MAKING TESTS TO FIND THE PROBLEM! I HAVE SPOKE WITH HER MANY TIMES AND SHE IS ALWAYS ON THE DEFENCE AND BLAMING THE GI DOCTORS NOT THE FACT SHE LOST REFERALS! WE CHANGED FROM HER OFFICE AND ARE NOW GETTING THE ONE ON ONE CARE MY CHILD NEEDS!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802884].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 8, 2011

I liked Dr.Hurwitz & the way she interacted with my kids,but I'm concerned w/ how fast we were in & out of her office. I do think that her PA is rude & doesn't communicate well w/ kids or parents. The first time my daughter saw her(the PA)she didn't introduce herself, she didn't talk to her, she didn't even look up from her file. She asked me the question, wrote some things down, clicked her pen,said she would send us for some test, and then left the room. The staff in the 2nd room(for physical's)are very rude. The staff in the sick office are nice and helpful. Overall I think Dr. Hurwitz & her staff make you feel as a rotating door. Get in, get out. She gets the higher rating because my kids were taken care of when seeing her. The office is messy & dirty,& some of the staff is rude,& her PA is very rude & not in touch. Not sure if I will ever go back. Both of my kids have seen her, my daughter has seen her 1 time & her PA twice. If I do go back I will not be seeing her PA.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][802883].votes_count ]]