Rate Dr. Loretta B. Chou

Dr. Loretta B. Chou's Ratings

I was SHOCKED at some of the low ratings for Dr. Chou. I broke both leg bones right above the ankle in 2001 and was non-weight-bearing for 5 months as a result. She had me do 100+ PT appointments (twice a week for a year.) They were definitely worth it. Also, she did ankle surgery on two other people I work with. All 3 of us think she's excellent. Realize however, that she's working in a high pressure, high volume environment. YOU need to be organized. I remember seeing her clear a waiting room with 20 people in it in 90 minutes! I also remember feeling sheepish that day because I had NOT followed my usual practice and written down all of "bullet points" I wanted to talk to her about. That was MY mistake. This is a VERY Smart Lady who moves at High Speed. Be prepared. HIGHLY Recommended.

Submitted Feb. 1, 2010 | flag

I was literally crippled from a ruptured posterior tibial tendon and to add to the problem, I have distonia in the affected ankle which is a byproduct of my Parkinson's. I saw several surgeons who gave me a bleak outlook until Dave at Apex Physical therapy came to my rescue with two suggestions. He told me that there were only two great ankle surgeons, Dr Manning in Oakland and Dr. Chou at Stanford.I opted to see Dr. Chou. She is a professional, don't expect small talk but instead be ready for a no nonsense person who is honest and to the point...Very refreshing after dealing with the glitzy orthos at the other big mamed place on El Camino in Palo Alto where they have the big screen TV in the waiting room. Dr. Chou replaced my tendon and also performed bone surgery to restore my fallen arch. I followed her instructions to the letter and at 17 months am pain free, my ankle is 95% and I can walk 5 miles of hills and leg press 450 lbs pain free. I am 52 years old. Thank You Dr. Chou !!!!!!

Submitted March 1, 2009 | flag

This doctor is a specialist in non-communication. I would never go back to Stanford Foot and Ankle Clinic nor would I recommend that any friend or relative go to her. Even when she can see that her patient is very worried, she does nothing to alleviate anxiety. For example, it took more than 12 weeks for my fractured malleolus to heal and I was very worried about a non-union. Later, I learned there was nothing unusual in my fracture healing time--it was about the average time to healing and exactly what one would expect! Did she mention that fact? No! Also, she is extremely conservative and keeps patients in hard casts for a LONG time with no physical therapy without ever justifying her practices. To this day, I don't know if she's behind the times or whether it was actually the best possible treatment to keep me in a hard cast for 15+ weeks, but I can unequivocally state that the whole experience was incredibly difficult and made me bitter. I don't think she cared at all!

Submitted Jan. 18, 2009 | flag

Tries her hardest to communicate with you as little as possible. Terrible experience. She is quite smart though.

Submitted Jan. 6, 2009 | flag