Rate Dr. John S. Collis

Dr. John S. Collis's Ratings

Dr Collis took me in as a patient in the fall of 2012. I got in to see him rather quickly. I had been suffering with foot drop, and severe muscle atrophe in the left lower limb.Dr. Collis was very explaintve, and familiar with my situation. Dr. Collis offered to do a procedure called a bilateral L5 discectomy. Assured me that it is a very common, and rather simple procedure. I decided to wait almost a year only bevause I didnt want to miss 4 months of work. ( recovery time ). Fast forward to Sept 2013. Called the Collis group, got right in. Arranged for surgery within 2 weeks. Dr Collis spoke to me pre op, spoke with wife post op, he even left his cell no. With the nurses in recovery, and asked that I call him at home that night.that was very impressive !am now 10 weeks post surg. Recovering well. Feeling better. My wife says the scar is invisable. Am w in pt and am very greatful to dr. Collis and his staff !!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817278].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2013

I had surgery on 8/26/13 for l5 s1. I heard dr. Collis was the best. I had a bad case of ciatica. Or as u called it dead leg. It took me 4 weeks to get in to see him. Never knew him before my family doctor sent me to him. When I met him I was impressed and I did appreciate his directness. He educated me about my problem and got me into surgery 3 days after my visit. I was in the prep room with 7 other people and he was the only dr to come in and see anyone. Yes I did know he has other dr helping or doing surgery because I also met dr Siegel that morning as well. I just came home and I am in more pain than I thought I would be in or at least was led to believe but overall I am pleased with the outcome. As of right now I do not have dead leg. I will update this board as I progress. But yes u would send anybody to dr John he is an amazing man as I know so far.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817277].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 28, 2013

Dr Collis did my L5 S1 disc replacement 22 yrs ago and I did very well for the most part! I recently was diagnosed with 3 herniated discs above that fusion so I returned to him for a consultation. He spent more time praising his work 22 years ago than the herniated discs that I now have. He is a surgeon so he obviously recommended it. However his description of the surgery was not very good and my wife and I left very confused as nothing was ever mentioned of the 3 herniated discs the MRI report showed. He was 81 yrs old at the time and seemed very forgetful therefore I elected to see another group that has neurosurgeons and pain management along with PT. The surgeon there did not feel that surgery would be beneficial therefore I am having pain management treatments. Dr Collis's last words to me were "I can give you surgery or you can walk less and that is all I can do for you" and abruptly walked out. My opinion is once a excellent surgeon but time to retire!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817276].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 20, 2013

I had very bad pain in my back and down my right leg my doctor recomended dr colis I called for apt. soonest they had was 6 weeks he did surgey april 9 2010 i am now pain free and would recomend him to any one that has back pain

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817275].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 27, 2010

Excellent experience. Staff was great, Dr. was wonderful. I would and have recommended other to Dr. Collis.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817274].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2010

Terrible experience- outpatient procedure supposedly overnite- turned into a 1 yr ordeal and 3 surgeries in one day

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817273].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 8, 2009

I had previous surgery on my back in Canton, Oh. July 2006, The pain was worse after surgery. I was in pain 24/7 at level 10. I kept giving the previous Dr. a chance to correct the problem he couldn't or wouldn't. I went to Dr. Collis Feb 2008, surgery April 2008 and I am pain free. I want to Thank Dr. Collis & his staff for the excellent care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817272].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 10, 2008

I waited months to get in to consult with dr. Colis. I think the staff was very nice and thorough. I was extremely disappointed with the time and concern shown by him personally.He was brisk to the point of rudenness. I have always been informed he is THEE greatest neurosurgeon available and now need to once again go to a neurosurgeon. he comes STRONGLY recommended and I am fearful of the recent reviews. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks so much

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817271].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 25, 2008

He operated on me at age 17. I was supposedly one of his miracle surgeries. He was kind at the time, but I continued to be in much pain. Finally after approximately 20 years of pain, I returned because no other doctor was willing to treat his former patients. Now older and in much more pain, he did a second surgery which confined me to a wheelchair and placed me on disablity. He told me to get a husband to take care of me. It turns out the extreme pain I was having was due to adominal tumors. Now I am very healthy and without pain (thanks to another doctor), but suffered for over 30 years because of this **** pig who calls himself a doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817270].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 20, 2008

Dr. John Stanley Collis of "The Collis Group" located in Broadview Heights Ohio, claims to be the areas top ortho. surgeon, as he claims to have done over 6000 spinal fusions without a single case of infection and a 95% or better success rate in stability of the spine and pain relief. I am reporting today that this has been a complete and total lie as he has not seen me since my surgery which has been over three months ago, even though I now feel worse than before. I have come to find out that he didn't even perform the surgery, as he was there in name only to dictate notes as his staff did the work. He is a scam and a sham and anyone who might be considering having this man anywhere near thier body should be advised that he is what one might consider to be a quack. He will not be there for you unless that is you turn out to be one of the few patients that turn out to be a surgical miracle. This man should be considered for disbarrment by the AMA and I will see that he harms no one.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][817269].votes_count ]]