Dr. F. Keith Busse

Grad. Year: 1988

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 04/10/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 24 reviews. Dr. F. Keith Busse has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Does Dr Busse operate people that are crossed eyes ?    Email me    Answer it

Ophthalmologist-related: eye treatment, eye diseases, vision, eye surgery, corneal surgery, oculoplastics and reconstruction surgery, intraocular lens implantation, refractive surgery, cataract surgery, corneal transplantation, glaucoma, low vision, uveitis, corneal infections, hereditary dystrophies, eye laser surgery, vision correction surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

24/07/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Keith" to "F. Keith"
RID: 2472225
12/11/12 1 1 1 1 I didn't get seen on time. 45min after my appointment.He did a brief check on my son's eyes. He didn't really explain and I didn't even know what he was talking about. I kept asking questions and all he could say is that things just happen. "it's just bad luck" Thanks, but I don't think a parent should hear those words when you're referring to your child. Days later I called to request for his medical history so I can see another MD and they would never answer or return my calls. He doesn't realase them easily. After almost 2 weeks someone called me back. But still took long to get the forms from him. He doesn't like for his patients to get a 2nd opinion. I would not recommend people going to this unprofessional and rude office. He makes insensitive comments to patients.
RID: 1465232
15/06/11 4 4 5 5 We went to get my 10mo son checked for cross-eyes. Dr. Busse was very forthcoming and explained us in detail about the actual condition & optical illusions giving relevant examples. He was very patient to our questions and answered them all very satisfactorily. The best part was the ways he used toys n lights to check my lo without getting him anxious at all. The ambience was great too with a whole lot of toys for infants & toddlers.
Paid (or co-pay): $305
Respond

18/04/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1414078
12/04/11 3 1 5 5 took my son in for stye treatment. he's goofy and smart. sort of a BIG kid, i guess you could say. i don't mind his bedside manners. what is extremely frustrating, is waiting one hour past your appointment time (not including being 30 minutes early, and leaving work another 45 minutes earlier), and not a word/update from anyone! maybe just getting an updated calendar system could be the solution. but otherwise, i do like him. i can TALK to him, unlike other doctors out there. i would still recommend him.
RID: 1352928
02/02/11 4 2 5 5 My son has been seeing him since he was 5 months old. He's the best in the Austin area as we have seen other ophthalmologists for the same problem my son had. My son is now 8 years old and has been seeing him all his life basically. He said Dr. Busse is the coolest doctor he's ever seen. His bedside manner is not strange because he needs to do several things at a time while he checks the kids. He needs to be fast otherwise the kids will move around and get distracted. So he needs to distract them and concentrate on his check up on the kids at the same time. That's why he always asks kids questions or plays the toys and performs his job at the same time. That might look strange to some parents. He is a good doctor because my son has seen him for 8 years now. If he's not good, I would have changed to other ophthalmologists already.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1289570
09/11/10 1 1 1 2 Dr. Busse evaluated our daughter for a stenosis of the tear duct with a flashlight that was broken (no light) and moved across the room to instruct us almost immediately that she need surgery. It was only after I asked for a more comprehensive exam that he complied but I did not feel comfortable with his inadequate assessment. He wanted to keep his "options open" for surgery and gave us one of three options that he "may" do when he's in there. He may be a very good surgeon but his bedside manner is lacking and his approach is unorthodox to say the least.
RID: 1242140
02/09/10 3 2 3 4 He was the first to diagnose my daughter with CVI, we had taken who to 3 top doctors in the Bay Area and nobody correctly diagnosed her. He is great at diagnosis, not so good at treatment plans, follow up on a diagnosis, not very good at answering questions and very strange 'bedside manner'. He always makes me nervous. But there is nobody better than him in the area so we end up going to him.
RID: 1236039
24/08/10 5 3 5 5 We have 3 children who see Dr. Busse including one child with a disability . He is an excellent surgeon and has been an invaluable resource for our family!  Respond
RID: 1224075
07/08/10 5 3 5 5 My daughter sees the Dr in his Waco office, and if not for him she may very well be blind, we had been to others but he was the first to diagnose her accurately. He has always been the most respectful and courteous, and his brother is always polite and knowledgeable. My child loves him, yes he always runs behind schedule, but if you wanted to ask him a question would you want him to say times up, I gotta be on time. Thank goodness he takes the time to answer kids and moms too
RID: 1213055
21/07/10 5 3 5 5 We've been using Dr. Busse for about four years now and have never experienced him or his staff being rude or arrogant to us or our son. He is very knowledgeable and his treatment for our son is working very well. (I received a 2nd opinion from my cousin's husband - a WV-based ophthalmologist - just to be sure since we had a bad experience with another eye doctor before we began using Dr. Busse.) My son likes going to his office. He does run behind schedule, but that is because he takes the time to answer all of our questions and concerns. He even did a free eye exam on our four-year-old daughter since we home-school and can't get this done via a public school. His staff is friendly and helpful. I have to wonder if the people who are experiencing a "rude beside manner" are being rude first. I would (and have) recommend Dr. Busse to anyone who has a child in need of his services.  Respond
RID: 1160911
01/05/10 1 5 3 5 Office staff was very rude & so unprofessional. Receptionist was dressed like she was going to a bar or keg party. They asked me to fax something & I said I didn't have a fax could I email it. She got snotty & said can't you use the one where you work. I replied I am a stay-at-home mom & I said we do not have one. She got even more nasty. But I do need to go back for a check up as he is the best & most knowledgeable doctor of his kind in the area.
Insurance: Scott & White
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1143779
06/04/10 2 2 2 2 Very poor performance. Accurately diagnosed a problem my child had, failed to treat it correctly.  Respond
RID: 1140919
31/03/10 3 3 4 5 Dr. Busse is great with children and explains everything in a very easy way to understand. I did see a second doctor (dr. Onan) and I like Dr. Busse better.
Insurance: CIGNA
Paid (or co-pay): $30
RID: 1135852
25/03/10 1 2 3 5 He's a good doctor. His business is hurt by "keeping it in the family" It would be better to hire a courteous, helpful staff rather than your family. RUDE RUDE office staff!
RID: 1097523
04/02/10 5 2 5 5 My son has been seeing Dr. Busse for 5 years, had a surgery with him and all. he is very imformative and his staff has always been nice and very helpfull. I have personaly delt with Kristen and June and they are both very sweet. My 7 year old son loves the gameboys and all the diffrent toys too. he always leaves happy and loves to joke with Dr. Busse
RID: 1087267
24/01/10 1 1 1 3 His staff is very rude (most are family). Does not like to answer ?'s. Money seems to be on top of list. Get tired on him telling you how great he is. He is rude and arrogant.
RID: 1046534
30/11/09 1 1 1 3 Very awkward family-run business. They were searching for something "wrong" with my little girl in spite of her testing 20/20, 20/15 (insisted on additional testing). When I refused additional testing, the technician (Dr. Busse's brother) said to me that I do not care about my daughter's health. At that point, I smiled and left.
Paid (or co-pay): $206
RID: 1001197
02/10/09 5 3 5 5 My twins have seen Dr Busse since they were 13 months old. One required surgery to correct a lazy eye. He was wonderful with both of them. They love going to see him and he talks to them so that they know what is going on. He answers all my questions and their questions too. He has a great relationship with his patients. Wait time in clinic can be lengthly sometimes. But we see him at a clinic in Waco because he comes to us. On clinic days, they schedule so many kids to see him that I am sure by day end he is past exhaustion but he always takes the time to make the kids comfortable. I highly recommend him.  Respond
RID: 896971
26/05/09 3 3 5 5 Dr. Busse is very knowledgeable about eye problems with children with Down Syndrome. He takes the time to explain things. I have every confidence in his assessments and the assessments of his assistants. I haven't had a problem with his staff even when we changed insurance. I think they might have been a little curt.
RID: 842772
26/03/09 4 4 5 5 extremely knowledgeable in his field. The best pediatric ophthalmologist I have ever taken my child to. very thorough in his diagnosis and takes his time to explain things in normal daily terms rather than fancy medical terms. I highly recommend him.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 785944
09/02/09 4 3 5 5 I have been going to Dr. Busse for 13 years, after previously having gone to his mentor in California. He is without one of the two best Specialists in his field, the other best being his mentor. He performed eye muscle rebalancing surgery on me when I was 6 years old. He treats my family as his own, and is always willing to try whatever he can to help us out. He was especially helpful when we had no insurance, and has always made sure my visits and contact replacements are affordable. He also is more than willing to help recommend a great place to find glasses that will do an excellent job on lenses, which can be very hard to find for a Rx as high as mine. He very rarely runs on-schedule for his appointments, but this is because he wants to make sure he gives the patient all they need. He is also a very genuine and caring person, and even if I move away from Austin, I will still make it a point to return once a year for a check-up. He is truly a remarkable doctor.
RID: 727768
22/11/08 1 1 1 1 Does not like patients getting a 2nd opinion. Staff is rude. Makes insensitive comments to patients.
RID: 685875
17/09/08 1 1 1 3 Our insurance changed to deductible isntead of an office visit copay. His office was going to require we pay full price as if we did not have insurance and stated they would not refund us the amount over the "allowed" amount they could charger per BCBSTX. We had BCBSTX call them to educate them on their contract. When we called back, they stated they were cancelling our appointment and that we needed to pay them $25 to get our child's medical records before they would transfer them to another doctor.
RID: 565695
14/04/08 3 3 5 5 Dr Busse is very knowledgeable and kind. He often runs behind schedule, but this is because he takes the time to answer any and all questions and do a very thorough exam. My daughter has been a patient of his for over 3 years and we have been very pleased with the level of care.
RID: 565140
14/04/08 1 1 1 1 Unhelpful,Rude & Arrogant won't let you take a second opinion with another doctor,he won't easily realease your medical records to another doctor.
Insurance: Medicare