You may also like

Rate Dr. Terry P. Phang

Dr. Terry P. Phang's Ratings

I read some reviews on Dr. Phang and the negative ones scared me and made me nervous to the point that if surgery was needed to correct a problem I was considering not going ahead with it. Seeing as my first appointment was only for testing I kept those appointments and thought I would leave the decision of having surgery if needed after my meeting with Dr. Phang. I found him to be very professional, helpful & informative and gave suggestions of what to try first to correct the problem before surgery was considered. He definitely was not the clown that some of the reviews had labeled him to be, though he did laugh, his laugh put me at ease, definitely not a straight jacket type of guy as some people seem to think he should be but a normal down to earth type of guy who puts his patients at ease. I don't judge a person by how others judge them and like to find out my own opinion of a person and I found this guy to be terrific! Glad I went ahead with the appointment, and those negative comments about surgery complications I have found that complications happen to any Doctor, they are only human.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2787968].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 24, 2015

Had really bad experience with him. Very bad bedside manner, he was non empathetic when delivering cancer news to my dad, seems very uncaring, rushed and did not answer questions, always seems to be in a rush. My dad had 3 surgeries by him and he always ended up worst with each surgery. Needless to say, my dad passed away. I'm not faulting this doctor for my dad's death but I didn't feel he tried his best and his attitude was very uncaring.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2749153].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

I was diagnosed with colon cancer at Penticton bc and the surgeon there wanted to remove my entire colon so I asked for a second opinion. H e sent me to Dr Phang and the same day that I saw him he looked with a camera and did a colonoscopy . He discovered thatI had stage two cancer one and a half inches away from the sphincter. He sent me for 5 days of intense radiation mid December and removed 6 inches of my lower bowel on the 6th of the following January and installed a ileostomy bag . The following Sep I was tested for no leaks and he removed the bag. After 14 years with several colonoscopies I have had no reoccurance of cancer and I am back to normal bowel movement and I feel that Dr Phang saved my life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2661483].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 23, 2014

Had a colon surgery 2014 to remove a tumour. From start to finish it was better then I could have ever expected. Dr Phang is an artist with the scalpel. When I went in to get the staples out my GP said that he did an awesome job. I loved his attitude. and his staff was wonderful

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2481220].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 17, 2014

I had a rectopexy 7 years ago to repair damages from childbirth. The surgery to lift the pressure off of the anal area was helpful temporarily. However he damaged the nerves that cause bowel movements and I have never been able to have a bowel movement naturally again. They kept me in the hospital for 10 days because I had not had a bowel movement but after 10 days with no bowel movement they said maybe I would be more relaxed at home and sent me home. I went back to him and told him about my problem. He just said "So, you can't poop hey" and laughed. I was traumatized and very upset about his response. He just told me to keep taking laxatives and maybe the nerves would regrow. They never improved and now the rectopexy has failed and I am in the same discomfort as before plus the big issue of the cut nerves for bowel movements. It has been life changing for me, very upsetting.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2427422].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 25, 2014

Dr. Phang performed a surgery on me that I later found out he was not qualified to perform. It broke down and I had to endure about 8 years of pain until I was finally healed through much of my own research and effort. He also performed a colonoscopy on me without sedation when I was having a flare up and in extreme pain. I passed out during the test due to pain. His incessant smiling when he was giving me bad news was rather disconcerting as well. I would not recommend this doctor to my worst enemy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][829591].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2014

This professional did not correctly diagnosis complications after surgery he performed and put my daughters life at risk. She is currently still in hospital and will have a lengthy healing process due to her new complex situation. This all could have been avoided if just one simple test had been ordered, instead of an assumption on his part. He is very detached and has a strange sense of humour which at times is inappropriate

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][829590].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 8, 2014

I had Dr. Phang perform surgery on me to remove rectal cancer. I am not old and ended up with a leak in the rectum area, and an emergency surgery within four days of the first operation which put me in intensive care for two days as my lungs collapsed during surgery. I still have complications and inflammation of the bowel some 18 months later. Dr. Phang does not share much knowledge and I have my doubts about his memory. As others have reviewed he also laughs and giggles like a clown when serious questions are asked. From my experiences I am not impressed and have my doubts of his abilities.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][829588].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2013

He returns the phone calls, polite, confidence, relax. He has excellent knowledge and experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][829587].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 5, 2013

LeVan's salary should be doubled. Dr. Phang is talented and in demand and I've waited months even on the cancellation list. For post-operative care I would suggest he refer me to a colleague who can see me at least once a month rather than once every 2-3 months so I feel looked after. I just can't be digging around by myself trying to figure out with mirror and finger how it's coming along as blood drips into toilet bowl or get the b/f to cut the dangling stitches stuck between my skin and panty and tugging on the healing hemorhoid. Dr. Phang is very generous in his belief that no insurance company or workplace can rush you back to work. There is no time limit. Each patient's healing process is unique to that person and he will do whatever he can to make sure you recover in good time, no matter how long that is. No corporate bully will make him push his patients back to work before their time. He's a small frame but this one has backbone and your best interest at heart.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][829586].votes_count ]]