Rate Dr. Christopher Awtrey

Dr. Christopher Awtrey's Ratings

Dr. Awtrey performed a surgery on me at the Lawrence General Hospital. Every step of the way from my first appointment to my last was complicated, time consuming and disorganized.
Initial Consultation: After an hour plus wait in the exam room, the doctor finally came in and said that he couldn’t give me a diagnosis because they hadn’t reviewed my pathology slides yet. Nevertheless, he gave me an exam and recommended surgery. His assistant told me that someone in his office would schedule my surgery to be done the Lawrence General Hospital. She also told me that the Dr. would call me once the pathology report came in, but neither of these things happened. I had to follow up on everything myself. When I tried calling to schedule my surgery, I discovered that there was serious miscommunication between Dr. Awtrey’s Boston & Lawrence offices. Each office said that they were not responsible for scheduling Lawrence surgeries. Lawrence told me that only person who does the scheduling works in Boston, and that she doesn’t work every day. When I spoke with the Boston staff on the phone, they seemed perturbed that Lawrence wouldn’t schedule it for me. One hand did not know what the other hand was doing, in every step of the way.
Prior to surgery, I was not notified about pre-operative care and was not told which medicines to avoid taking in the 7 days before surgery. I was finally alerted to these things at pre-testing which was only 48 hours prior to surgery. I did not even know what time to show up to the hospital for my surgery until the day-of. I received a phone call all at 7:45 that morning saying “Can you be there at 8:30?”… ummm I guess so! Once I arrived in the surgical unit at Lawrence General, not a single person there seemed to know who Dr. Awtrey was or where he was. They all seemed to think I was scheduled to have surgery with a completely different doctor. Surgery was scheduled at 10:00 (I got there at 8:30) and the surgical team finally came to greet me around at 11:00, at which point some of them were still scrambling to print out documents for the doctor to have in his file. The anesthesiologist initially told me I was going to have general anesthesia but once Dr. Awtrey got there, they changed it to sedation instead. I was happy to hear that but I shouldn’t have been given the wrong information to begin with.
Post-op: Not a single person from Dr. Awtrey’s team gave me a post-operative follow up call and they did not schedule a post-operative appointment for me to see him again. Like I said before, it is quite clear that one hand did not know what the other hand was doing. I just have to hope and pray that this surgeon did a good job and that I won’t have to go back for further work. The experience did not run very smoothly whatsoever. Overall, this practice needs some serious work. My patient satisfaction is at about a 1 out of 5, simply due to their extreme disorganization.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2627675].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2014

Knowledgable, compassionate and highly skilled, honest. Will not find a kinder, more able doctor in his field. Answers all your questions and phone calls. The Best of the best

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841716].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 27, 2013

There isn't a smarter, nicer doctor anywhere, period. Dr. Awtrey met with me several times before my surgery to answer all my questions - and I had a LOT of them. He is the best. Don't even bother seeing anyone else!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841715].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 3, 2011

Dr. Awtrey is probably one of the best doctors in the country, by far. He will call you back, always, and spend as much time on the phone with you as you need. I had a full hysterectomy at 43 and he has been kind, compassionate, as well as knowledgeable. I would refer him with no hesitation!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841714].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2010

This man is brilliant. His ability to communicate complex and scary medical information with compassion and understanding of the patient's point of view gives him a five-star rating in my book. You are in the very best hands with Dr. Awtrey.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841713].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 23, 2008

BEST DOCTOR I EVER HAD.........KIND CARING AND VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ...HE ANSWERED ALL OF MY PHONE CALLS HIMSELF.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841712].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 16, 2008

Dr Awtrey is the best! He takes the time to explain the medical situation to the patient. My aunt of 97 was recently treated by Dr. Awtrey. All went well and more importantly, he treated her with respect.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][841711].votes_count ]]