Dr. Brian R. Apatoff

Grad. Year: 1984

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.2 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 39 reviews. Dr. Brian R. Apatoff has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurologist-related: nervous system, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, stroke, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, peripheral neuropathy, neuromuscular disorders, sleep disorders
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 3651368
08/01/14 5 5 5 5 ive been going to dr.apatoff for numerous years and he is a professional,courteous ,caring doctor as well as person.i feel lucky to have my care in his hands with this disgusting disease. his office staff are just as attentive and compassionate to me ,as well as other patients that are seen.ive recommended dr apatoff to numerous people in the past in which there were nothing but positive comments about him.  Respond
RID: 3631328
13/12/13 5 3 5 5 I have been going to Dr. Apatoff for 12 years. He is brilliant and kind and has the kind of openness and clarity that only a neurologist who's been engaged in all issues MS has. He brings a certain degree of flexibility to treatment, understanding that quality of life becomes a key issue, when treating MS. Bring a book to read; he's popular, so you'll probably want to wait. Then again, in the 20+ years that I've been diagnosed with MS, no neurologist worth her or his salt in the field of MS is going to be on time!!!!! They're popular and attentive.  Respond
RID: 3598307
07/11/13 1 1 1 3 He is not a nice man, and I didn't see any of that nice bedside manner that people talk about here. What I did get was a knowledgeable guy who was dismissive of my problems, had a confrontational attitude, and wasn't pleasant to deal with. What really makes me mad is his unprofessionalism. He actually had me tell him my symptoms while seated in the same room as a fellow patient. It was embarrassing and humiliating, and I should have said something, but that aside, he should never have asked me to do that in the first place. He's a weird guy, too. Yes, he knows his stuff, but no, he's not a good doctor.
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $40
See Responses

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Brian" to "Brian R."
RID: 2450874
18/10/12 2 1 2 4 I always have to wait for hours beyond my scheduled appointment time to see the doctor. This is stressful and exhausting. Dr. Apatoff always seems rushed and a little distracted. So far he really has not helped me at all. He gave me the wrong advice about a medication for one of my MS-related conditions. The staff gets things wrong frequently and is sometimes rude. Dr. Apatoff "keeps his own records" which I am pretty sure could means he does not keep any; after more than a year my primary has never been able to get any notes or reports from Dr. Apatoff's office despite repeated requests via phone and fax. This worries me.
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 1542755
21/09/11 3 4 5 5 I just started working with Dr. Apatoff but from first impressions am very pleased. His reputation and ranking as a world renowned doctors speaks for itself. When I met with him I felt like I was with a true professional and expert in the field. You can tell he loves what he does and that passion shines through. What really impressed me was his accessibility and he seems to have an "open door policy". I popped into his office late and unannounced because I was in the area and he was warm and happy to answer my questions. You can see he is a true multi-tasker and is always moving, shaking, being innovative and thinking a mile a minute. He makes his patients a priority and seems to be just a quick phone call away. You may wait for your appointment but that's just because he's busy and in demand, seems to be worth the wait.  Respond

22/05/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

RID: 1410993
08/04/11 2 3 5 5 Best. Doctor. Ever. He thinks outside the box and I truly believe he saved my life. Yes, it can be a wait in the waiting room to see him, but it is worth it.
RID: 1313459
13/12/10 5 4 5 5 oh, my gosh, run don't walk to see dr. apatoff. i was diagnosed with ms 19 years ago by, sort of, the pope of ms: barry arnason at the university of chicago. dr. apatoff was a student of his, which speaks to his caliber in and of itself. he is attentive. he is creative with his approach to treatment options, which in the world of ms, which seems to have so few options and so little control, is huge. it still bewilders me how easy it is to find him, if there's trouble going on. and it amazes me, too, how fast it is to get an appointment with him. really, go. and bring a book; he gives time to his patients, which may include the one before you.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1250863
15/09/10 3 3 5 5 This is one of the best doctors I had seen. He spent good amount of time with me to go over my illness. He did not try to make me go back for no reason or ask for unnecessary MRI. I feel better already.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1086372
22/01/10 5 4 5 5 I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Apatoff. Like a previous poster, I accidentally called his emergency number, thinking it was his office and that I could leave a message...and he answered at 12:30 at night!!! He was completely understanding, supportive, and invested from the start. He spoke with me for 10 minutes on the phone, and then fit me into his schedule within 36 hours. I spent about 1 1/2 hours in his office, and an hour of that was spent face-to-face with Dr. Apatoff. He listened carefully, asked great questions, conducted a thorough examination, and took time to review my MRI results himself. He is incredibly collaborative with the patient regarding treatment options, and provided me with literature to review before making my decision. In short - he is one of the very best doctors I have ever seen, and has made the process of being diagnosed with MS so much easier and less frightening.
RID: 1053833
09/12/09 2 3 5 5 I knew I was in the right hands with Dr Apatoff five minutes into my first appointment with him. I am a native NYer currently living overseas. My doctor there is one of the top specialists in Europe, but completely lacks Dr. Apatoff's caring and engaging nature. Although his voice might not suggest it, he is extremely kind, caring, and knowledgeable in all facets of the disease. He entertains ideas no matter what and makes you feel as if you're part of the team, rather than a "patient". When I brought some new research findings to him, he bent over backwards to make sure we could talk it through and decide on a course of action. Seven months from being diagnosed and five+ months from starting treatment and I received an excellent report. He was just as excited and delighted as my family. So much so that I cried. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Apatoff to someone either newly diagnosed, like myself, or someone looking to make a switch.
Paid (or co-pay): $180
RID: 988459
16/09/09 3 4 5 5 I accidentally called Dr. Apatoff's cell phone to make an appointment. Horrified that I actually had this number as the main number, I was apologetic and ready to get off the phone. He stopped me, asked what kind of problems I was having and LISTENED. We talked for about 5 minutes before he offered me an emergency appointment the following morning at 9am (FYI...our conversation was at 5:30pm.) When I met him, he was extremely thorough, did not rush the appointment and started to move me in a new direction with my MS treatment. I’ve had some really bad experiences with neurologists and this was certainly not one of them. I am quite happy with him and will continue to travel from Northern NJ to see him. Two thumbs up!
RID: 879827
06/05/09 4 4 5 5 When my MS doctor moved away, he recommended Dr. Apatoff as a replacement because of his impressive skills and nice personality. I am very happy to have found such a professional and competent MS specialist. Since I have to travel over 2 hours each way including buses to visit with him (and I really don't like bus travel), I must be impressed and feel very confident in his abilities. Judging by his busy office, many others feel the same way. Despite the pressures of serving many patients, he always listens carefully and gives me sound advice especially when I recently had to change MS medications. I am very happy to have found such a competent and professional MS specialist. Erica his receptionist is very friendly and warm. He probably could use another administrative assistant. Judging by other patients' comments, it seems many of us at times would welcome more of a Santa Claus type personality. But insurance companies limit time now, and I'm very grateful we have Dr. Apatoff.
RID: 710403
27/10/08 3 5 5 5 I was diagnosed with MS in 2005. My NYU neurologist recommended Dr. Apatoff and I’ve been his patient ever since. He’s a bright and attentive physician who analyzes every symptom (even some that I dismissed myself). He has treated my disease intelligently and aggressively. I’m a bit worried that his new office on 55th Street is suffering some growing pains: I’ve been accidentally hung up on twice. It’s also very concerning that the new number and address have not been updated on Directory Assistance. Of note, I’ve been able to contact the office with the following number (if/when they answer) 212-593-6227 401 East 55th Street (1st Ave & 55th Street)
Insurance: HIP
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 680862
08/09/08 1 5 5 5 Dr. Apatoff has been my doc since 2000. I very highly recommend him. He is knowledgeable, caring and on time! Unfortunately the completion and move into the new Judith Jaffe Center proved to be a lousy thing for me anyway. Dealing with the staff was a horror show. Everything from making appointments, talking with the reception, phoning in for prescriptions or questions proved to be frustrating. Hey folks— a fancy building by itself does not make for good health care. Give me back the old crowded dreary rooms across the street where we had human beings instead of droids. So, glad Dr. Apatoff left. I'll follow him. Only wish is that his patients were keep better informed as to his plans.
RID: 658231
06/08/08 1 4 1 1 Dr. A. is wonderful!!! He's caring, competant and tops in his field. He is working with pt's with a diagnosis in which there is no easy answer but he really tries hard to take care of his patients well. I hope he contacts everyone soon to let us know where he is re-locating. His staff was the problem in the clinic.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 643284
20/07/08 1 3 5 5 I just saw Dr. Apatoff. He is starting his own practice outside the hospital due to some internal conflict. Weil Cornell M.S. clinic will be lost without him. I agree that his staff are horrible. I sat in the waiting room for 45min before I heard receptionist call back and tell them that I was there. He is not interested in smalltalk, but once you mention something about your health, you have his full attention. My exams have always been extremely thorough and I never feel rushed. I wouldn't go to anyone else. He is the best of the best.
RID: 630152
03/07/08 2 4 5 5 I have been w/Dr. A since 1999, I think he is the best doctor, I have seen others but I think that when it comes to who is best equipped to help me it is hands down Dr. A. I have never had trouble getting him on the phone, maybe his staff is not easy to deal with, but whenever I have been in the emergency room or on the phone after hours he has always been there. In fact I was recently in FL on vacation and had a high fever I called him at 9pm and he was paged and called me back in 10 minutes and told me what to do. He has always listened to me and I trust his knowledge and would love to keep him as my doctor. If you know where he is going please let me know. thank you.  Respond
RID: 614538
16/06/08 2 1 1 2 Dr. Apatoff misdiagnosed me. He failed to inform me of abnormal lab results that would have lead to the correct diagnosis. It took several months to get him to release my medical records to me and my new doctor. For the 2+ years of my interaction with Dr. Apatoff, he was rude and dismissive of my concerns.
RID: 600007
27/05/08 2 4 5 5 Punctuality is not an issue when a doctor is thorough with patients and may run a bit overtime with a patient. I've found this person very expert in his field, and very rofessional, both of which are a blessing.  Respond
RID: 594484
20/05/08 4 2 4 5 Dr. Aptoff is a good doctor and a leading specialist in MS. He has his quirks and may seem very indifferent at times but is very sharp and pays attention to everything the patient says and responds to the point. He doesn't waste time in small talk or trying to socialize. He is sometimes curt but always professional. Overall if all you care is a getting an expert opinion and not looking for a shoulder to cry on, Aptoff is your guy.
RID: 594048
20/05/08 5 5 5 5 Regarding the previous comment about waiting time being a sign of a great doctor- well, that's pretty absurd. My Spinal Surgeon is considered one of the best in the Country, and I've never waited more than 10 minutes. Should I check his credentials?  Respond
RID: 593956
20/05/08 4 3 5 5 Diagnosed 12 years ago by Dr.A after having gone to a real quack. Not sure what you all mean about bedside manner, He sat with his hand on my shoulder when I began to cry and comforted me. He was great in helping me plan my course of medication, which I refused until after I had children. Instead of Meds, he helped explained that I neededt to deal with the stressors in my life. He is amazing in his field, has a very dry sense of humor, but then again so do I, which is why he joked with me often. Whenever I called he was always right there. In regards to having to wait a long time to see him, That’s a sign of a great doctor. If you go to a specialist and don’t have to wait, you should really check the credentials.
Paid (or co-pay): $5
RID: 580170
01/05/08 3 2 4 5 I have been seeing Dr. Apatoff for over 10 years, he is the doctor who diagnosede me. I have always found him to be VERY knowledgeable and yes, at times a little weird. However, over the years I have checked out other neurologists and have never been able to find anyone who I thought was better. I do have his pager number and when I have needed him he has always been available for me. I no longer live in NY and yet I still use him as my neurologist because I am lucky enough to come to NY often enough for business that I can do this. If my symptoms got bad enough that I needed a local neuro I would get one but so far I'm sticking with Dr. A. And I will continue to do so even after he moves.
Paid (or co-pay): $12
RID: 577282
28/04/08 1 3 1 5 Dr. Apatoff seems to be very knowledgeable about MS, but as a previous review stated, it only goes so far. It was a very difficult for me to get an appointment with him and getting phone calls back were impossible. He never called me with my MRI results nor returned my phone calls asking for the results. I left 4 messages. I eventually had to have my internist get the results faxed and interpret them for me. I was not thrilled with his bed side manner, either. He was not at all understanding with how overwhelming a diagnosis can be and seemed bothered by me asking questions.
RID: 570565
19/04/08 4 5 5 5 When I first began seeing Apatoff I was in terrible shape; he has helped me enormously over the years. Yes, he can be brusque, but I'm not seeing him for his bedside manner: I'm seeing him because he is the first neurologist who has actually helped stem the progress of my ms and make me better. I have found that it helps to hand him a typed sheet listing the medications I take, their dosages, and what I need refills of, as well as, in order of importance, the problems I need addressed during the visit. Yes, he can be rushed. But I have been the emergency patient in his office, the one who causes the waiting room to back up, and I can tell you he has been unstinting with his time and his care in those situations. I'm devastated to learn that he's leaving Cornell Weill and only hope he's going to another New York hospital. Patients with ms could not hope for a better doctor.
RID: 564922
13/04/08 5 4 5 5 Been going to him for about 10 years and have been pleased. He does return my calls and was always there when I needed him. I was just informed that he will be leaving the present position. Anyone know where he will be going? Would like to continue with him.
RID: 483249
14/01/08 3 3 2 5 May be the tops in his field, but rarely, if ever, returns your calls. Very brisk, spends very little time with the patient. My wife was in the emergency room with an exacerbation for about twenty-eight hours and, despite my pleas to his office which was in the same building, he never personally acknowledged her. Members of his staff did come down eventually, but were not very comforting. We have since changed physicians and could not be happier with her new neurologist and his staff,
RID: 476486
04/01/08 5 4 4 5 Dr. Appatoff is an extremely helpful doctor. I have been seeing him since i was 14 year old. He is one of the best doctors in his field. He always take the time during the appointment to listen to your concerns.  Respond
RID: 440898
07/11/07 5 5 5 5 WOW I AM SHOCKED BY SOME OF THE REVIEWS. I HAVE NOTHING BUT POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY. HE TOOK HIS TIME AND WAS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE. I REALIZE IN ORDER TO GET THIS KIND OF SPECIALIST I WILL HAVE TO WAIT SOME TIME. I THINK HE IS ONE OF THE BEST AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM. I DON'T WANT A FRIENDLY GUY WHO WILL READ ABOUT THE LATEST STUDY IN A MAGAZINE AND THEN TELL ME WEEKS LATER - I WANT THE GUY WHO IS DOING THE STUDY. DR APATOFF IS THE TOPS IN HIS FIELD!!!
Insurance: HealthPartners
Paid (or co-pay): $10
RID: 429206
15/10/07 2 1 2 5 always makes you wait, always seems rushed. Really seems like you are just a project not a person. No sensitivity lacks warmth
RID: 384418
12/08/07 4 3 3 5 Very rushed - he leaves most of the patient contact to his PA, and will stop in to scan the chart and sign off on the visit. The PAs here are very helpful and knowledgeable, and will summarize the exam results for his visit.  Respond
RID: 329397
26/05/07 5 5 5 Dr. Apatoff is and outstanding doctor. After having gone through two different neurologists, who were often curt, unsupportive and uninformative, I finally consulted with Dr. Apatoff and have been his patient for 3 years. As I was living out of the US the first of these three 3 years I often had to get his guidance via telephone but he was always available and caring. He would consult with local doctors if necessary to help them treat my illness. Dr. Apatoff is concise, knowledgeable and professional at all times. Given his high workload and responsibilities I believe he makes a superhuman effort to juggle all tasks at hand.I wish you continued success in his efforts to finding a cure for this terrible disease.
RID: 309826
05/05/07 5 5 5 Excellent information, attention and response. Immediate and thorough answers to questions and concerns. Extremely busy Doctor, constantly juggling medical, professional, administrative and patient demands. Concern for patient is apparent, but overriding quest to resolve disease is foremost, as it should be.
Insurance: Oxford
RID: 51578
20/10/06 3 3 4 Dr. Apatoff is an ace when is comes to knowing his business, but these reviews are very accurate. He does not return phone calls promptly or not at all. It appears he is very interested in the research end of his business and less so dedicated to his patients. Overall, if you want the best knowledge and can live with his relationship and bedside manor flaws..He is the best you will find. If you have to have a deep relationship with your doc. you will be left wanting...
Paid (or co-pay): $3000
RID: 39588
07/08/06 2 1 4 His practice is too large for comphrehensive care. I am often rushed in and out without feeling comfortable with an explanation. His nurse is rude and obnoxious. Looking for a new doctor now who I can build a relationship with to manage my disease.  Respond
RID: 37285
23/07/06 1 1 4 A very insensitive individual. Great credentials only go so far.  Respond
RID: 18352
06/12/05 1 3 5 He is incredibly knowledgeable about MS and once he is focussed on you, he is very understanding. However, it takes months to get an appt., and then you wait about an hour in the waiting room, and then you wait again in the exam room. Does not return calls timely- even when you say it is urgent it takes a couple of days for a call back.However, despite that, he knows how to treat MS!
Insurance: United Healthcare
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 16628
30/11/05 1 1 5 Not punctual. Doesn't return phone calls. Doesn't call you with results from MRI and other tests, even if you call the office to have him call you, he doesn't respond. Wait for hours to see him and he rushes you out. Not very helpful or caring.
RID: 12667
22/09/05 1 4 5 A clearly knowledegable doctor with keen and thorough grasp of his specialty. However, his staff is rude as all getout and the office makes you wait for two hours or more routinely--seems like they overbook patients.
* - Rating left by a registered user