Rate Dr. Herbert M. Biel

Dr. Herbert M. Biel's Ratings

My first experience with Dr Biel was a year or so prior to my going to see him as a patient. I had been involved in an auto accident and had back surgery performed by another physician. The other persons insurance company sent me to Dr Biel for a medical evaluation. Dr Biel took xrays and told me that the surgery I had on my back did not heal properly and that he would have done things different. As I was still having pain, Dr Biel told me that he could correct the problem or I could go to any surgeon that I wanted. I went back to the original surgeon who concurred with Dr Biels evaluation and would be willing to perform another surgery on my back. I tried just dealing with the pain, which had been going on for 6 years. When I finally decided enough was enough I contacted Dr Biel. He explained everything he would be doing. I felt complete confidence in Dr Biel. Dr Biel performed revision surgery on my back along with repairing a nerve problem. He told me that walking was the best exercise. I walk one to two miles daily and the problems that I was having have been resolved. Dr Biel is thorough and concise. He expects you to follow his orders, which are to aid in your healing. I highly recommend Dr Biel if you have back issues.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2731672].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 23, 2015

I am very happy to give Dr. Biel an excellent rating of 5! After at least 10 years of excruciating back pain and 4 previous surgeries by another surgeon, I am 4 months out from my last surgery, performed by Dr. Biel. I had decided that I would not have one more surgery. However, I had 3 - 4 first person recommendations to see Dr. Biel and give him a chance to help me. He ordered all the right tests and showed all of them to me in his office. I could not believe some of the things I saw with my own eyes that were results of previous surgeries. Dr. Biel explained what he could do to help correct the very serious problems in my spine. My husband and I listened very carefully and believed I had to allow this doctor to try and help me. After two weeks in rehab I went home very unsure it was going to work. However, I began my exercises at home but was unable to walk like Dr. Biel recommended. Two months after my surgery and twice a day exercises as well as outpatient physical therapy I was still unsure it was going to work. As I continued with my routine I found there were small steps of progress each week. I was walking with a walker but in spite of the progress I felt I would never be able to give it up. When I saw Dr. Biel he seemed rather aloof and said I should be walking more. I did not have the opportunities I needed to walk as often as I should but I believed I had to keep trying as long as I could. By the end of three months after my surgery I was walking all the time with only a cane!!! My husband got me a classy pedometer and I started counting steps and recording them! Oh, and the pain!! Well, my pain is 95% less than it had been in 8 - 10 years!!! I do have a "drop foot" and I told Dr. Biel I wanted to give my exercises more time to correct it. He told me I should give a brace some time to help and gave me a prescription to get fitted for one. What am I going to do? I'm going to give the brace a chance!!! It turns out Dr. Biel was right about everything else!!!

By the way, as for his "aloofness", I realize now that Dr. Biel is a surgeon that says what he has to say and gives both of us time to see if it's going to work and me time to gain some confidence in myself and in him. And it's kind of amusing how suddenly he became a man I could talk to and even try to "make him proud" of me.

I'm 71 years old and was very nearly convinced my journey was not going to last as long as my Mom or my Dad's did (89 years). When my attitude changed and I began to trust Dr. Biel to know just what he was doing and what he was saying to me, I am feeling 100% better and believe that by the end of 2015 I will be walking much more and quite possibly without a cane! Do you need one of the very best orthopedic surgeons in the State of Indiana? I truly hope you will consider Dr. Herbert Biel! I am so thankful for the excellent recommendations I had received from people I knew. I do so wish I had started with him!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2728363].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2015

I amazed that this Dr is highly rated. No doubt! If he can falsify your records then off course he falsify his reviews. Online reviews, as we all know, can easily be mislead in rating. A Dr can easily have his friends and or relatives anonymously write good, bad and ugly, however, he/she wishes

That said, in short, this Dr doesn't read patient history & records. When asked about in case of available online history, he blames the Community Hospital, the network system to which he belongs, computer system and management. He says, the computer system doesn't allow him to access. When asked why haven't their practice as a whole complains to upper management about the software. His exact words, they don't know care. In fact this Dr is the one who doesn't care. The software (Epic System) for his particular complain is bug free. To me he is not interested in the changing world as a whole, let alone the computer system. Rejection of adopting the changing world is the biggest drawback for professionals in any field, particularly in the field of science. In particular he has no knowledge of basics of treatment. For example, if you have had a partial tear in rotator cuff muscle and simultaneous clavicle fracture with no signs of nerve issue and you visit him with in next forty eight hours of your issue, he without looking into your records (CT Scans, X-rays,MRI, MRA) or checking you physically he will have his own X-rays taken (generates money for the practice) and worst the first thing he will ask you to go and have an EMG done which in my layman's term electromagnetic test for nerves. Why? No good Physician even outside of orthopedic specially would suggest that test: 1) because EMG is medically suggested only after couple weeks of your injury; 2) There is no evidence of nerve damage. May be he is getting kickbacks and or referrals from his EMG facility buddies. He doesn't remember or try to come up thoroughly on the patient's previous visit history thus making the patient go in circles. He is completely rude towards his patient and no empathy. On my first visit I gave him a second chance for the second visit but I may not be smart but common I am not that dumb either. Beside, but not giving any attention he leaves the office in less than one minute after seeing his patient and writes the progress report and problem list. To support this argument, his problem list contradicts with his progress report, at least in my case.

I am boggled, that the system above him has not even felt this or if felt then they only care how good the practice is generating the revenue. They say the buck stops here/there. I say "The buck ignores everything.

BTW, Dr Biel is associated with Community North at Clear Vista in Indianapolis. I have written the truth here, nothing more nothing less.

Thank you Dr Biel, making me to bring out your true side.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2517894].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 29, 2014

I had experienced severe leg pain for some time. After an MRI that showed bone spurs and scar tissue between L4 and L5 Dr Biel suggested surgery to clear out the bad stuff and reduce the presure on the nerves leading to the legs. Surgery was performed and all leg pain is gone. Dr. Biel was very professional thruout and I highly recommend him. Thank you Dr. Biel

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878527].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 12, 2013

I just passed my 1 year anniversary of my surgery. I am doing well. I have no pain when I walk or stand. Some pain in the morning when I first get up, but not like the original pain I experienced. I think exercise and stretching are vital for range of motion and less pain. Glad I had the surgery. Thank you Dr. Biel.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878526].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2012

Dr. Biel is awesome. After several years of pain, tingling, numbness I finally found relief with the all dreaded spinal fusion. I was absolutely terrified with the prospect of back surgery. For 5+ years I opted for pain management with multiple injections and "burning of nerves" !! This past December 2011 I was fortunate enough to have found Dr. Biel to perform the spinal fusion after all options failed. Today 3 months out I celebrate a healthy back and resuming all normal activities. Dr. Biel and his entire staff are professionally sincere and genuine in their skilled approach to aid in my overall wellness. All of my friends all overwhelmed with my progress and rapid recovery ! Thank you again Dr. Biel and bless you !

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878525].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 21, 2012

I feel that Dr Biel is perhaps the finest orthopedic sugeon in the country. Considering the major problems I have experiencd for many years, the relief I have experienced after my surgery was nothing short of miraculous. From the moment I met Dr Biel, I found nothing but an extremely compassionate man with my best interests at heart. His skills as a surgeon surpassed my wildest expectations, as my now being completely pain free will attest. Thank you, Dr Biel, from the bottom of my heart. You are one amazing man.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878524].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 5, 2012

Dr. Biel is great. He listened to me from the first minute I walked in his door. He requested the correct tests the first time to be able to diagnose my back pain. He has been friendly, supportive and helpful to not only me but also my husband. I will highly recommend him to anyone who asks me if I know a great back surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878523].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 17, 2012

I can not believe he is rated this high. Do not go to this doctor! He will mess your back up, actually worse than before and say that there was a chance of failed back surgery. But 3 times? Stay away.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878522].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 4, 2011

I'm so surprised by the high ratings given to Dr. Biel! I visited him on three occasions, once for myself and two times for my daughter. On each occasion, he was obviously indifferent to our situations. He clearly thought that I was questioning his authority when I asked questions about our health. For example, when I asked if he would show me what he was describing on my daughter's x-rays, he said that not even he had seen them. When I asked why, he rolled his eyes and told me "that's not how it’s done anymore." His responses were generally curt and borderline condescending, and once he even gave directly contradictory answers. He avoided speaking directly to my 8-yr-old daughter to whom he was supposedly there to help, and was clearly impatient when she felt inclined to speak to him about her condition. In the end, Dr. Biel rushed out without spending even five minutes with us on any of the three occasions. I am shocked and hurt that he was so unprofessional and uncaring.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][878521].votes_count ]]