Dr. Andrew M. Casden

Grad. Year: 1983

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.3 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 33 reviews. Dr. Andrew M. Casden has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Does he accept Oxford Insurance?    Email me    Answer it

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

05/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.3
RID: 4291128
25/01/14 5 5 5 5 Dr Casden has performed two life changing operations on my back. The first was 9 years ago when I had spinal stenosis and was walking bent over in great pain. The day after the surgery all my pain was gone. Last June 2013 he operated on me again. I again was in great pain as my vertebrae was tilted up and was away from my spine. He had to insert a cage to keep the vertebrae in place by going thru both my front and back. I had heard many stories about the pain I would be in for many months. However by the end of the first month after the operation I was off pain killers and now I am totally fine. throughout my ordeals he patiently explained what was happening every step of the way and followed up my progress until he was satisfied that I was totally recovered.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 3649663
07/01/14 5 5 5 5 Brilliant surgeon and a wonderful man! Dr. Casden performed two surgeries on my spine in the same day! He fused a herniated disc at C6-C7 and another herniation at T12-L1. This was a pretty complicated surgery due to the fact that I already had C4-C6 fused 4 years prior and that he was performing both fusions during the same surgery. Dr. Casden was the 3rd doctor I saw before committing to surgery again. I felt the most comfortable with his approach and his ability to fuse the 3rd level in my cervical spine without having to remove the existing hardware. Both of the other surgeons that I saw prior wanted to remove the old hardware which would've been a longer, more evasive surgery. I am currently 2-1/2 months post op and doing fantastic. I started PT 2 weeks ago and the Therapists are thrilled with the range of motion I already have. I can't say enough about Dr. Casden and his staff. They're all committed to helping patients get better in a friendly environment.
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Andrew" to "Andrew M."
RID: 2895271
04/10/13 5 5 5 5 In 2007, I played in the US Senior Golf Amateur. In 2009, I thought my golf career was over due to a herniated disc. I was unable to lie down and slept in a chair for 3 months. Since then, Dr. Casden has performed 2 microdiscetomy operations, in 2009 and in 2012. In both cases my debilitating pain was immediately gone after the operations. I was able to resume golf both times within 6-8 weeks. Since 2009, I have won 4 Club Championships, 2 Long Island Senior Championships and this week won the New York MGA Masters Championship. How fortunate I was to have been operated on by Dr. Casden. His expertise is unparalleled. He fully explained the entire procedure and my recovery timetable. My recoveries were right on schedule. Thanks to Dr. Casden I have been able to continue my passion for playing golf and being pain free.  Respond
RID: 2818012
27/08/13 5 5 5 5 I rarely review anything let alone a medical experience but Dr. Casden has been exceptional from day one. He gave me an understandable diagnosis to my herniated L4/L5 disc (after failed epidural injections, PT, massage, etc., talked about the potential success/failure rate of a microdiscectomy, and has followed up ever since via email. I was in excruciating pain for six months prior to the surgery and wondered if I'd ever be the father I wanted to be to my two young daughters. Dr. Casden's deft hand eliminated 95% of the pain and now (six weeks later) through yoga, stretching and PT I expect to become 100%. Overall, a dramatic and profound difference. I have no hesitation recommending Dr. Casden and his team. (Thus far insurance coverage has not been an issue and I hope it remains that way.)
RID: 2743548
01/08/13 5 5 5 5 As a 38 year old male, I was living with a degenerated L4-L5/L5-S1, for the past 15 years of my life. There were days I was bedridden for 7 to 10 days at a time. I had been to countless doctors and until recently, did not have confidence in one. After meeting with Dr Casden in April, 2013, we decided that a fusion was the best option for a life without pain. Dr Casden performed surgery on May 9th of this year and I can confidently say that the majority of my pain has subsided and I can see a dramatic difference even prior to my 'three month mark'. Prolonged sitting is no longer painful. I still have work to do on my end, i.e. physical therapy, swimming, stretching, etc, but I feel that Dr Casden has placed me on the path to life without pain. Dr Casden is a brilliant surgeon and one who I would highly recommend to anyone living with back issues. I am enormously grateful and excited for my future. Thank you Dr Casden
RID: 2698971
02/07/13 5 5 5 5 Dr Casden is a world class orthopedic surgeon affiliated with a world class hospital, MT Sinai in NYC. He has operated on my back twice in the past 22 years and i have had amazing results. Don't fool around with anyone else or look for quick fixes with other Docs who promise "quick fixes". Go see Dr Andy. He will tell you the truth and has the most integrity of any surgeon I have ever spoken with. He is the best orthopedic surgeon in the world!! I am 67 years old an I plan to run a marathon one day soon. Not bad for soemone who couldn't walk 100 feet a month ago. Dr Casden, I love you man.
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal
RID: 2545957
30/01/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Casden performed a spinal fusion surgery on my minor son last spring between the end of his high school varsity season and the start of his college varsity career. Our experience with him and his staff was terrific. They were caring, responsive and knowledgeable. The surgery was a success. The follow up was excellent. Dr. Casden treated us like we were family. After a debilitating year of pain, my son is back in the pool and pain-free.
RID: 2539011
23/01/13 5 5 5 5 My experience with Dr. Casden and his staff was superb. The staff was professional and attentive in every way. Dr. Casden performed a micrdiscectomy on me to address a herniated disc. His work was excellent as I am now pain free and have no residual post-operative pain. The high quality of his medical work was only exceeded by his exceptional bedside manner. He was always responsive and patient with me and my many (often mundane) questions. His care and attentiveness continued beyond the operation as I have had successful post-operative discussions. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Casden and his staff.
RID: 2528819
12/01/13 5 5 5 5 I had surgery for kyphosis with Dr. Casden on December 5, 2012. I cannot say enough good things about him and his staff. After the surgery, Dr. Casden personally informed my parents that the surgery was complete, a success and when they could visit me. I saw him later that night and the remaining weekdays in the hospital. During the weekends his staff visited and made sure I was as comfortable as could have been. Dr. Casden has been a huge part of my recovery and has answered all of my questions and concerns I had after the surgery. I would highly recommend him to anyone thinking of getting surgery. Not only did he do a great job fixing the curvature of my spine, the scar from the incision, which was a main concern of mine, is barely noticeable and has healed beautifully. My curvature measured 70 degrees originally and Dr. Casden was able to straighten it to 39-40 degrees. I could not have asked for a better surgeon and team. I was confident before the surgery, and have remained confident through my recovery. If you are looking for the best Dr. Casden is the best!!  Respond
RID: 2492554
06/12/12 5 5 5 5 There is no question that Dr. Casden and the physicians he works with are the best in the tri state area. I had three disc herniations over a three year period and after their treatment, I am fully functional without any pain. Unlike other surgeons, Dr. Casden was very thoughtful about whether to treat surgically or with therapy. The staff at his office went out of their way to make the process as easy and user friendly as possible.  Respond
RID: 2481772

24/11/12 2 1 1 1 Disappointing.I sent a 15 pg history with images.The staff lost it. Office manager, Sue,blamed it on problem with my mail.Compiled 2nd portfolio,sent certified.Drove 62 mi to Westchester. After Dr. Casden’s iphone call with family about using their boat that weekend,he came in late & unprepared for consult. He left to view material provided earlier.Dr gave a vague prognosis & quick nebulous range of possible surgeries. He insisted on a 7th CAT scan,cavalier to my concern of high radiation exposure again. Staff was uncooperative-refused help with file & could not provide co-pay receipt. Insurance billed for xrays not taken. I made 3 requests for copy of Dr’s notes. Sue again blamed “problems with YOUR mail.” Received 4th request. Visit left us the distinct feeling, supported by later calls soliciting surgery,that Dr.Casden’s focus is on quantity of billable surgeries rather than a patient’s quality of life.This seems all too similar to the Laser Spine Institute trunk show.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2126236

10/05/12 1 3 1 1   Respond
RID: 1572357
27/10/11 5 5 5 5 I wanted to check in.I just had my six month check up with Dr. Casden after a pretty major surgery a spinal fusion including levels L4,L5 & S1. I really want to thank everyone from X-ray techs,to the office manager,Donna Kennedy and nurse practitioner, Ed Butler. Dr. Casden is an amazing orthopedic surgeon that cares for his patience. Dr. Casden takes the time to listen and has compassion. Dr. Casden does his part and it is up to the individual to put the hard work in and get well. You really have to want it. Dr. Casden is a class act from start to finish and I will continue to recommend him to anyone. Thank You Dr. Casden.  Respond
RID: 1557022

09/10/11 3 3 2 3 When you go to Beth-Israel you assume you are seeing the cream of the crop. I spent more time being examined by a nurse name Gilda whose bedside manner was lacking. She was curt, rude and obnoxious and assumes you are a twit. Get over yourself you witch! I made an appointment for a consult to see if I was a surgical candidate. Dr Casden came in and out of the room. My visit with him was not even a generous 5 minutes. It consisted of Gilda spewing the results of the exam like I was on medical rounds. He didn't even exam me. All he said was I wouldn't operate on you and that's it. And off he was.What a waste of my time, my insurance being billed, my copay and what a lack of empathy, compassion, and HUMANISM.I rate you and your twit of a tart nurse Gilda an F. And I'm being nice.
RID: 1504040
04/08/11 5 5 5 5 Wanted to give an update on 1/09 sugery and also address how Dr. Casden may have not recommended surgery on previous reviewers who are frustrated or were told to lose weight. I too was given about 3 mintues of time by Dr. Casden a year before my disk broke. I would rather not have a back surgeon cut me than do an unnecessary surgery. After my disk broke and surgery was done 2 days later, Gilda took my calls for months to help with my healing after my surgery (and other buldging disk). Dr. Casden was one of the most caring doctors I have ever been to. I would recommend my kids, my mother etc. to see this wonderful caring doctor (and staff).
RID: 1500359
31/07/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Casden was amazing! He spent so much time with me answering all my questions and was so gentle and Caring through the entire experience. I've suffered with cord impingement and chronic pain for 6 years and the moment I came out of surgery, all of my symptoms were IMMEDIATELY GONE!! No numbness in arms and hands, no pain, no fire in my back, no knotted muscles and spasms... I feel like I was given my life back! After being on pain killers for 6 years I didn't need any after the surgery and haven't touched them since! I'm no longer a slave to these pills and feel like I'm 25 again!! Dr. Casden thank you!! You are amazing and I am eternally grateful to you for giving me my life back!!! I highly recommend dr casden and could not be happier with my results!!!!
RID: 1472693
25/06/11 5 4 5 5 Dr Casden is one of the best in the area. He will not operate on you unless he feels he can help you. This can be frustrating to someone when they desperately want relief, but if he says no its because at that time he doesn't see surgery making you better. He personally calls to discuss and review test results (not the nurse or his assistant). I would definitely take the time to see him and seriously take his advice into consideration.
Paid (or co-pay): $250
RID: 1447086
22/05/11 5 5 5 5 I had 2 surgeries with Dr. Casden. To this day we are not 100% sure what went wrong after my 2nd surgery but Dr. Casden is a great surgeon. Knowledgeable and professional. He cares for his patients and makes sure they are taken care of. I would recommend Dr. Casden to future back patients. He is more then just a surgeon he is someone you can trust and feel comfortable with.
RID: 1287846
06/11/10 4 5 4 4 I had a laminectomy and fusion L4-5 in August and I was very nervous because of all the online horror stories. The whole experience was seamless and easier than I ever could have hoped for. Beth Israel staff was top notch and the pain medication they had me on worked perfectly. I spent three days in the hospital and they had me walking the day after surgery. I took the pain medication they prescribed and got around easily when I got home. I walked every day and didn't need any pain meds after four weeks. The only problem was being very tired for the first few weeks after surgery, which is probably good because it kept me from trying to do to much. I am almost at my three month mark and looking forward to getting back to tennis and yoga. Dr. Casden did a fantastic job...
RID: 1238280
27/08/10 2 3 3 5 I recently had a cervical discectomy and fusion with Dr. Casden. He's clearly an excellent surgeon and I was impressed from the start: he and an assistant gave me an extremely thorough physical examination, more so than any other dr., and he was quite willing to discuss issues raised by my 2nd-opinion visit. My surgery went extremely well and the Beth Israel nursing staff was fantastic. However, when it comes to dealing with the human being undergoing surgery, he's sadly lacking! He was unrealistic about the amount of time it would take me to start working again; and when I was kept in hospital an extra day due to complications, he was clearly disappointed-in me! On follow-up, his nurse practitioner Gilda was curt, unhelpful, and unsympathetic; at one point I even had to involve my GP. Dr. Casden also seemed peeved by my questions at my last visit, which upset me. Surgeons aren't renowned for empathy, but it would make the experience so much better if he developed some!
RID: 1187259
10/06/10 5 5 5 5 GREAT GREAT Doctor. Has hands that are magic. If the Doc feels he can make you better, you can go to the bank with it
RID: 1141973
02/04/10 5 4 5 5 Due to Spondylolisthesis I had a Anterior/posterior lumbar fusion. Dr Casden was my surgeon. My surgery was 4 years ago. I feel great! He fixed me, and I would recommend him to anyone! I am basically pain free just the occasional Advil. Beth Israel is a wonderful hospital to have surgery in. The care was top notch.
RID: 1127007
13/03/10 4 5 5 5 Deciding to have surgery is a vigorous and life changing process. I have visited many doctors and reviewed many blogs and rating scales to determine what would be the best for me. When I was first introduced to Dr. Casden and staff, I was definitely on the defense and questioned everything they had suggested. Dr. Casden and his nurse practitioner Gilda were both very helpful and patient with me and my husband. They answered every question with great knowledge. To make a long story short, I felt very comfortable with him and decided to choose Dr. Casden as my surgeon. On Dec. 14th, I went to Beth Israel Hospital to have a discectomy on my lower spine. The hospital staff was very professional and extremely helpful. Still undergoing the healing process, I am feeling much better than before, and I am starting to get my life back to normal. Overall, I was very pleased with Dr. Casden and the hospital staff. I would recommend him to anyone.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1032753
12/11/09 3 5 1 2 Saw Dr. Casden yesterday or should I say I saw his assistant. Was with assistant a good 15 minutes and then Casden flew in leaned over the comp. to look at the MRI, then put his hand on the door knob, smiled and said he could do nothing for me except that I should lose weight. He said he cant do anything because it is arthritis. He left the room. Two years ago, I was in a struggle with a violent student that left me with 3 herniated discs. I have not been able to return to work. I have gained weight as a result of not being able to move or walk very much. I used to be very physically active as all teachers have to be. He did not examine me. This was a very expensive "New York minute". I came all the way from Canada, stayed 2 nights at a hotel because I thought American doctors were better. I was wrong!  Respond
RID: 986020
13/09/09 5 4 5 5 I am 40 yr mother, 2 small kids and saw Dr. Casden 1/09 unable to stand/walk for 2.5 weeks, (epidural, pain meds given from other local Dr's) I arrived in a wheelchair in extreme pain from piece of disk broken off L-5. Options explained: disk would eventually move off nerve or surgery. No pressure AT ALL. Microdiskectomy 2 days later (squeezed me in), no brainer for surgery. Was 110% in June, long recovery for me after surgery and PT (he did surgery on L-5 but L-4 was also herniated so please take that into mind. Flare up in mid August due to too much yard work (could have been my L-4 disk I don't know). Dr. Casden is AMAZING doctor and staff is incredible. I recommend him to EVERYONE. I saw him a year prior for L4 & L5 herniation and he told me I didn't need surgery & to see pain mgmt (PT, Epidural etc.).
RID: 794947
19/02/09 5 4 4 5 I should have rated Dr. Casden a long time ago for I realize that people do read these reviews which sometimes help in making a decision. I had a lower back surgery last summer (June 2008).Needless to say that the team of doctors at Spine Institute of NY (Beth Israel Hospital) is wonderful.I was actually recommended to Dr. Casden by my spine specialist who's also at the same institute (again wonderful doc- Dr. Alex Lee). I was told that it's not mandatory for me to have the surgery but it would improve my lifestyle and I can finally stop depending on epidurals and vicodin. The amount of pain I was in, it didnt take me long to decide and go ahead with the surgery. I haven't regretted it a single day. I wouldn't lie and say that the problem's gone 100%...it never does with things like backs/knees. But it has improved to an extent that I almost feel like my old self- a healthy 28yrs old. =)
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 753840
02/01/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Casden performed surgery on me three weeks ago. When I first saw him he explained that the surgery was not an emergency but for me it was more a matter of quality of life. I am an extremely physical person so having surgery was a huge deal for me. I met with him several times before deciding to have the surgery and not once did he pressure me. He called me the very next day to make sure that I was comfortable with what he was going to do. I highly reccommend him as a surgeon. He addressed all my concerns with the surgery. His office is very nice and polite.
RID: 732799
30/11/08 3 1 1 1 Dr. Casden was one of the worst doctors I have ever seen. As a chronic back pain sufferer for nearly 20 years,I went to Dr. Casden to understand my surgical options. Without even examining me, he informed me that he doesn't do surgery on "episodic" patients. When asked for advice on how to handle the constant pain, he responded that I should "take anti-inflammatories and exercise". No help was provided on what type of exercise, how much, etc. I followed up with my referring physician, who contacted Dr. Casden, and I subsequently received a contrite e-mail from Dr. Casdent that perhaps he didn't understand my condition, although I had provided all of the factors he listed in his e-mail. He followed up with a call where my clear impression was that all he was interested in was that I contact my referring physician to say I didn't want surgery, which was only in his best interests, not the patient's. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone under any circumstances.
Paid (or co-pay): $35
RID: 587252
08/05/08 5 5 5 5 I had a four level spinal fusion with anterior and posterior instrumentation done by Dr. Casden in June of 2007. The recovery was long and painful, but I'm now back to where I was ten years ago; able to do almost anything I did before my back became so dibilitating. I was on pain medication for over 20 years. I lived in agony over the last five years and now am just about pain free. It is a true miracle and Dr. Casden is the miracle worker.  Respond
RID: 51781
21/10/06 3 5 5 He is wonderful and caring and seems to lack the huge ego so many great doctors (esp. suregeons) have.  Respond
RID: 36404
17/07/06 1 1 1 five years ago i needed emergency surgery on my lower back. i interviewed dr. casden and a neurosurgeon. they both seemed fine but I chose neuro based on recommendation from a nurse my mom knew. turned out not to be the best choice. fast forward to now - problem in cervical spine, decided to try casden again. the day before my appt his assist called to say he was cancelling and that i should go see my previous surgeon because the problems were related. i emailed casden saying we both knew the problems weren't related and would he tell me the real reason for cancelling. he responded that i clearly had not had confidence in him before and so he didn't see why i would now and that i should go back to previous surgeon or find new one. i responded that there are other possible reasons for not choosing him besides lack of confidence and explained what had happened. he did not respond.  Respond
RID: 24581
07/03/06 5 5 5 Dr. Casden is an amazing surgeon. He helped me greatly and I am forever thankful.
RID: 12477
17/09/05 5 5 5 Excellent spine surgeon, diagnostician, prognostician. A warm, personable, caring, humble, brilliant doctor. Listens with sincere concern to patients' distress. A truly wonderful doctor and human being. Not a UHC Choice Plus participating doctor but agreed to accept their fee for surgery.
Insurance: United Healthcare