Rate Dr. John T. B. Houston

Dr. John T. B. Houston's Ratings

9 years ago, Dr. Houston saved my 3 year old son's life & ended his pain. We thank God for Dr. Houston & pray that other families will be blessed with his gift. We spent 2 years desperately trying to find a doctor willing to risk their workers comp to perform the surgery needed to correct my son's severe bilateral reflux causing constant UTIs & scarring of his kidneys. We were warned our baby would need dialyses if we didn't find help, but no docs would help due to his age. We decided to give one more urologist a try & found Dr. Houston. When Dr. Houston reviewed our son's radiology results with us, he paused, looked me in the eyes and said "this baby has to have surgery, I WILL DO IT." Dr. Houston was always generous with his time & explained everything thoroughly. The surgery was long & hard but done PERFECTLY, ending with a big hug. Now my son is 12 years old & has had no issues besides normal constipation. He will tell you Dr. Houston is his hero. We love and thank you Dr. Houston!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887387].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 17, 2013

It can be determined in some infants which ones do not follow the 75% mentioned and early intervention is reasonable in experienced institutions. Second opinion is reasonable if needed. Some parents simply need more time to accept the inevitable or the surgeon may not have the experience in that age group and prefers to wait. I follow the highest standards of care and ethics in our profession and take great pride in caring for our infants and children who are all not the same and nor are our families. Our care is therefore very specialized and is conducted within reasonable medical necessity and within the experience and skill of the Practice. Reducing family stress is a common theme important to our work. When you have lingering questions it is best to ask to gain clarification of the concern rather than assume the Doctor is unethical. Therefore speaking with the Doctor may help answer your questions.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887386].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 27, 2012

We brought my then 5 month old son to see Dr. Houston because our primary care doctor was concerned about his enlarged testicle. We had to wait in the waiting room for an hour, and when I asked his nurses where I could breastfeed my son, they suggested I go to the bathroom. Once we finally got in to see Dr. Houston, he examined my son for about 30 seconds before he declared that my son was going to require surgery. Needless to say, this terrified us but he seemed convincing with his reasons why it was a necessity. Before we opted to slice into our infant son, we got a second opinion and that doctor told us that we should wait another 6 months because 75% of the time, the condition corrects itself and does not require any surgery. It baffles me why Dr. Houston would choose to perform surgery when a simple Google search will tell you that the condition usually corrects itself in time. I was truly shocked and confused as to why someone who seemed so trustworthy would be so unethical

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887388].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2012

I can not say enough good things about Dr. Houston. He totally saved my daughter's kidneys/life. He is loving, kind, honest and just an AWESOME human being. His life is his patients. You do have to wait a little bit to see him but it is totally worth it. I am so glad we were referred to him. If I would have went with the other dr and waited to see if my daughter got more "true UTI" it could have damaged her kidneys. Once again I am so happy that he is our child's doctor. We could have not asked for a better doctor!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887385].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 5, 2012

I recommend Dr. Houston to everyone I know. He is brilliant and takes the time to carefully and thoroughly explain everything. He is one of a three doctors to take the time and effort to make sure you are fully comfortable with everything happening. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887384].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 29, 2011

Dr. Houston is very knowlegible, and understanding. We were 15 min late for the appointment, but they still take my son, and we out of the office in an hour, and half of that time we spent with the doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887383].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 1, 2011

Hands down (without a sliver of doubt) I would not trust another Doctor with my Daughter's care. My wife and I have been through a lot over the past 9 years with my Daughters Kidney and Bladder challenges. This past month my 9 year old daughter needed her 2nd surgery. Dr. Houston performed her 1st surgery when she was 1 years of age. It was a great success. Overall, he has followed her ever since - 8 years. I could not say that for very many other Docs. He has taken a personal interest in making sure that we have received the best care. Dr. Houston is an unbelievably compassionate, competent, and understanding Doctor. The best of the best in his profession. Phil Hickmon

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887382].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 13, 2011

Great Man !!! My son was born with hydronephrosis and a malrotated kidney. He took care of him very well. Dr Houston treated us like normal people knowing we didnt go to med school he told us what was wrong wihtout us even asking a question. He gave up "detailed" drawing of his problem as well without us asking for a copy. My son had surgery at 10 months old and Dr Houston did a great job. I was scared at frist about the surgery but after talking with him about it and how much time he spent with us talking about what he was going to do... Just a great man. I would tell anyone if not everyone who need Urologist he is it. You will not go wrong seeing him!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887381].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 29, 2009

My daughter had her second visit with Dr. Houston. He was patient, gentle, and took great care to inform us of how her condition was progressing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887380].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2009

Dr. Houston helped diagnose newborn daughter with hydronephrosis. He took the time to carefully explain the condition and our treatment options. His experience and knowledge immediately put my wife and I at ease. Dr. Houston has outstanding bedside manner a knows how to build trust.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][887379].votes_count ]]