Dr. G. Arun Kumar

Grad. Year:

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 13/08/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 2.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. G. Arun Kumar has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: What was his Academic training?    Email me    Answer it

Neurologist-related: nervous system, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, stroke, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, peripheral neuropathy, neuromuscular disorders, sleep disorders
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5492183
23/05/14 5 5 5 4 I approached my first appointment with Dr. Kumar with some trepidation as I had read some ugly reviews about him and his office. Much to my surprise I found a well organized office staff who was very pleasant and very helpful. I am a night person and prefer my appointments in the late afternoon and they did everything in their power to accommodate me. As for Dr. Kumar, I found him to be a very concerned, very thorough and very pleasant physician. I was accompanied by my male significant other who is a Ph.D. but Dr. Kumar addressed himself to me and my concerns. He ordered the appropriate tests he felt I needed and told me to make a follow-up appointment. He even helped me put my shoes back on which I have never had another physician do. Needless to say, I will consult with Dr. Kumar anytime I need to see a neurologist in the future.
RID: 5228938
07/03/14 1 1 4 4 Charged us a $25.00 fee for 3 missed appointments we never knew we had. His staff is apparently incompetent as well as rude. In all fairness he did discover the anuerism. He will never win the Mr. congeniality award. He should fire his staff and hire some kids.
RID: 4288850

23/01/14 1 1 1 1 Dr Kumar and his staff are incompetent. We were already upset with the fact that Kumar didn't seem to care about anything other than writing another prescription for my fiancĂ© who is having inexplicable seizures. Dr Kumar is short and unsympathetic with his patients. He didn't seem very familiar with the type of medication she was taking or the side effects of it. We literally had to come to our own conclusions on why they were happening. Meanwhile we played constant phone tag with the incredible excuse for an office that lost their own lab work. It would see a specialist who seemed to give a damn about the well being of their patients. This is truly the worst experience I've ever had with any medical specialist. The lack of communication between the office, the doctors, and their inability to cooperate with other offices made this medical nightmare even worse. Pick a different neurologist.  Respond
RID: 3653325
11/01/14 4 5 5 5 Possibly the office manager, who greeted me seemed quirt, but knowledgable; might be because I was late. Parking was packed. The receptionist was very polite and helpful. The nurse was cheerful and even funny (appropriately). Dr Kumar was pleasant, as well, listened and made notes when I told him why I was there. He looked straight at me and made sure that he understood, by rephrasing and repeating back to me, what I had told him. He did some testing of my nervous system reactions, some I had never seen before. Told me what he believes is the problem; told me what kind of testing he would need to do at my next appointment, walked me to the receptionist, told her what kind of testing I needed, and asked her to set up the appropriate test and explanation dates. All of them, including Dr. Kumar, were pleasant, courteous, and nice. A GREAT first time visit. Not at all what I expected after seeing the comments here.
RID: 2717315
24/07/13 1 2 1 2 DR. KUMAR ACTS UNINTERESTED AND RUSHED. HE BARELY MAKES EYE CONTACT, RUSHES INTO ROOM AND DISMISSES ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE. WHEN HE REALIZED I WORKED FOR A PCP OFFICE (MY MOTHER IS THE PT SEEN FOR DEMENTIA) HE COMPLETELY CHANGED HIS ATTITUDE AND "BEDSIDE MANNER". UPON FOLLOW-UP 6 MONTHS LATER WE ASSUME HE FORGOT THIS BECAUSE WAS RIGHT BACK TO BEING RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS. SPENT A TOTAL OF 5 MINUTES SEEING MY MOTHER WHILE RUSHING HER THROUGH HER EXAM. BY THE TIME HE WALKED OUT OF THE EXAM ROOM SHE WAS TEARFUL AND SHAKING. NEEDLESS TO SAY WE WILL NOT BE BACK NOR WOULD WE EVER RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE. HIS WIFE WORKS IN THE OFFICE AT TIMES AND SHE IS HORRIBLY RUDE NOT ONLY TO PATIENTS BUT TO STAFF. NO WONDER HE HAS SUCH A HIGH TURNOVER RATE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A KIND, COMPASSIONATE PHYSICIAN WHO CARES THIS IS NOT THE PHYSICIAN FOR YOU!!!!
RID: 2653013
20/05/13 4 5 5 5 I have been going to Dr. Kumar for two years. He always takes his time and checks the effectiveness of my medication. (I have an essential tremor)His staff is friendly and helpful. The always answer the phone during business hours. I suspect many of the complaints are old as he is ware of the negative feed back and has improved. I recommend him for those with my condition.
RID: 2524299
07/01/13 3 5 5 5 I found Dr Kumar to be a very good doctor, he tested me for every known auto immune disease and did not dismiss me in anyway, he was very patient and caring, I was finally diagnosed with MS and Sarcoidosis My only problem with this office was rudeness on the part of the receptionist i kept calling the office to talk with dr Kumar and kept being put through to prescriptions, i eventually gave up and have not been back to see this doc, though i would love to still be his patient, his receptionist has put me off as no matter how many times i called the office and asked for a call back, the call back never came,
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 2430252
21/09/12 2 3 1 3 I had an MS episode in February, first one since 2001 and was referred to Dr. Kumar by my PCP. He is very curt, asked me no questions, and told me that the MRI I had just done showed lesions on my brain. He asked the front desk staff if I had good insurance and then gave me a prescription for injections. After 6 weeks, I increased the dosage, as ordered, to maximum dosage and had severe reactions. I tried calling the office for days on end, with no answer. I left several messages, with no return calls. Finally, I decided to cut back on the dosage without his approval. Another week went by, and then I got a call from the office and made an appointment for the following day. I told him about calling the office and getting no response, and his answer was "I was on vacation." Now, I am having other problems, and can't get the office to answer again. I have an appointment with a new doctor
RID: 2411975
27/08/12 4 4 5 5 excellent , knowledable Doctor, friendly staff.was apprehensive at first after reading the comments on this site. But my PCP wanted me to see him.Glad I did.
Insurance: Banner Health
RID: 2161624
28/05/12 1 2 1 4 Named Best of AZ Neurologist. This may be so, but his bedside manners were difficult to get past. There are cultural barriers (I believe he is from India or that region). He is condescending towards women, does not make eye contact and when my husband accompanied me on visits, he would only speak to my husband.
RID: 1709073
08/02/12 1 1 1 1 Has a very poor attitude towards women.Does not have the best interest of his patients first in mind.
RID: 1574383
30/10/11 1 1 1 1 The office staff was very rude. The nurse was impatient with me. Dr.Kumar received my file with all the tests from my other Dr. He didn't do an examination, just prescribed medications. Ordered another MRI after I had one in my file that was only a month old. On my last visit with him he decided to send me to a pain management Doctor, then I never saw him again. I never heard from him. Many months later, I found that I had bone spurring on my femoral heads, moderate to severe. He did not send that information to the pain management Doctor. After doing my research I found that I could have had surgery if he would have sent me to a Orthopedic surgeon. This was all back in June-August 2010. I never found out where the pain was coming from until September of 2011. I was at a level 9 to 10 on a daily basis and ended up having to use a cane to walk and couldn't sit for more than 5 minutes. When I was filing an appeal with disability he faxed back blank pages.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 1455794
02/06/11 1 1 1 2 Kumar's staff is ATROCIOUS. Some of the rudest, most uncaring people I've ever met. My mom's been seeing him for a few months...first they refused to see her last week to go over her Spinal Tap results, due to an insurance mix-up outside of our control (which has since been resolved yet they STILL won't schedule her! we've filed a complain with BC/BS). Because of this, we asked them to send her test results to another doctor. It took them forever, we finally got them, then found out yesterday that they sent the WRONG TEST results! We were all SO relieved the last few days thinking she had Lyme Disease. Well, turns out she actually has PML. NOT LYME. The test they sent over was completely irrelevant and not even accurate! needless to say, we are all devastated, especially after being made to believe it was something so curable (PML is not and is quite awful, actually). They never apologized for this, in fact seemed mad at US for daring to call them out on their awful mistake. STAY AWAY!
Respond

18/04/11 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1278724
25/10/10 4 5 5 5 He's an excellent doctor; he listens; he cares and I recommend him.
Insurance: Secure Horizons
RID: 1152958

20/04/10 1 1 1 1 Dr. Kumar and his staff are dismissive. My family and I got the impression we were wasting their time. Our mother/grandmother is dying and he will not even give us the results of the MRI. He is always in a rush. The office phone is NEVER answered by a human being, you can only leave a message. My family and I will hopefully never have to deal with these seemingly uncaring people again.
RID: 1067899
02/01/10 1 2 2 4 The first time I went to Dr Kumar he was very helpful. He spent and hour with my husband and I explaining my condition (epilepsy). I had not had a seizure in over 15 years so having things explained to me as an adult was good. However his bedside manor was awful. After leaving my previous neurologist for being rude and condescending, believe it or not Dr. Kumar was better. Since then however, I have had more problems. I feel that he doesn't have the time for me and is distracted when I am in the office. He recently increased my dosages and wrote the prescription wrong. After a week of fighting, I gave up and ended up paying double for my prescription. The following month I had problems again and the receptionist was RUDE (I called three times and was put on hold every time for 15 minutes). I am thinking about changing doctors since this office doesn't seem to have time for me.
Paid (or co-pay): $60
RID: 932259
08/07/09 3 3 2 3 I took my husband to DR Kumar..a few times ..He diagnosed him as having "dementia",,The last time we went he was extremly rude to me when i went in with my husband and questioned what I had said in that my husband and I did not agree on the subject..He said he had dementia 2 yrs before ..but couldn't understand that my husband was not remembering.. A very rude man in my opinion.I refused to go to him any more..His people skills could use some work.,
RID: 911820
12/06/09 2 4 3 4 I observed office staff being very rude to other patients, although they were fine with me. The office employs no RNs & one employee confided that she must find another job because the get no health benefits. They all look miserable! Getting scrips refilled is not a problem. The doctor was brief & rushed & gave me what felt like a canned speech re my dianosis. At one point he turned his back to me & spoke to the wall for time. Very odd. Smart, but few people skills. When I expressed anxiety re my diagnosis, he quickly stated there was nothing he could do & I should see a psych MD, besides, I could be worse. Not helpful in that respect.
Insurance: Banner Health
RID: 360002
05/07/07 3 3 1 3 thought he treated me (patient wife) very rudely..he diagnosed him with memory problems..then resented me coming into exam room...
RID: 74588

28/12/06 3 1 2 This Dr. has NO bedside manner. He based his QUICK diagnosis of MS on what he claimed to have seen overseas (no testing had been done) and wanted to start treating my 20yr old daughter with injections. His diagnosis was not correct.  Respond
RID: 56719
16/11/06 2 2 4 it is difficult to diagnose parkinsons disease. we found this doctor to know his business. he can seem abrupt but if you can get past that he is a good doctor
RID: 12313
14/09/05 1 1 1 if you are not text book diagonis, he sends you to a phyciariest (sp) because you have "issues"  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user