Dr. Jon E. Berner

Rate Dr. Jon E. Berner

Dr. Jon E. Berner's Ratings

I took my son with disabilities to see Dr. Berner as my son is dealing with substance abuse. He explained to us both that Rehab doesn't work in a very arrogant manner. My son has been fighting rehab because of this advice from him. He is now heading to rehab because his addiction only got worse. This doctor gives very dangerous advice.

Submitted June 25, 2014 | flag

If it wasn't for Dr. Jon Berner, I truly believe I would not be alive today! Dr. Berner has been my daughters Psychiatrist for about 8 yrs. She is 19 now and diagnosed Aspergers, Schitzo Effect Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, O.C.D. Oppositional defiant Disorder... Basically a mess! He has worked with her non stop looking for just the right combination of meds to make life as best as he can for her and I. He is VERY compassionate and caring! ALWAYS making me feel at ease and comfortable. Because of my child he eventually took me as a patient too. I couldn't find a Pychiatrist for myself and when he finally accepted me I was elated. I can only give praise and approval for this wonderful man. Thank You Dr. Jon Berner! You Care!

Submitted June 20, 2014 | flag

Ok, I will say that Dr. Berner is an excellent physician in the field of psychiatry in my experience. Some people may not like the fact that he is blunt & honest(if you are very easily offended), but I find that helpful if you are serious about treating an illness. He also tends to keep up to date on the latest research in psychiatry instead of just going with what they learned decades ago, which some do. However, his staffperson/secretary is one of the worst/unempathetic people I have had the displeasure of dealing with in the entire medical system & have suffered days of tormented withdrawals as a result of her willfull indifference. An example is how relieved I was when she was gone & the secretary of another doctor offered to help me deal w/ Dr. Berner. She was far more humane than the Dr's reg secretary was. This is not a criticism of the Dr. & in the end it is worth it as he is excellent.

Submitted May 21, 2014 | flag

So I wrote on here before that Dr Berner is an amazing physician. I still maintain that point but I would like to point out that his staff is horrid. I asked them to send the prescription to Medco and they said that I had to provide the form. So I found the form and faxed it to them. Then they told me that they dont deal with insurance companies. They did not tell me up front what their policy was on this and it isn't even written in ANY of their forms/paperwork they give you! I am seriously considering no longer coming to him because of the extreme lack of customer service and the inconsistency. The only reason I am staying is because Dr Berner is good at what he does. But I will leave if there are any more problems like this as it is extremely disrespectful and a waste of my time.

Submitted Feb. 23, 2012 | flag

I read another post on here about how someone had a bad experience with Jon Berner. I can see how this might have come about. After seeing Jon myself, I learned that he tends to discuss possible causes and diagnosis with you. He treats you as an equal and tries to provide his sometimes very complex knowledge to you in the hopes that you will understand why it is a possibility, or why he is lead to believe that. In many cases even suggesting things like Schizophrenia would send up alarm as mental illnesses carry a large amount of stigma. In all honesty, he has a practical approach. He doesn't hide anything from you. Some doctors will hide everything in their charts. Jon Berner doesn't. If you want an honest doctor come to him. In addition when I brought up my unique situation he pulled out a recent study and showed it to me. He is fully versed in even new developments in the field. I HIGHLY recommend him because you will never be left in the dark and you will learn about your health.

Submitted Feb. 17, 2012 | flag

This is a great doctor. He is concerned about his patients and does not rush you. Dr. Berner seemed to always be on top of all the latest medical information & options. His knowledge of different medications and even updates when side effects were discovered not previously listed were something I had not experienced with other doctors. I highly recommend meeting with Dr. Berner if you are establishing a new doctor.

Submitted Sept. 30, 2011 | flag

As a patient for 10 years, I believe Berner is one of the most intelligent and motivated doctors I've ever met. He knows his medications inside and out and is ALWAYS thinking outside of the box. Not only is he and MD, he is also a Ph.D in neuropsychology(?) I think that's what it's called. He continually self-educates to stay current. He has dealt humanely with issues that caused my initial reason for visiting (PTSD and head injury) and worked relentlessly on things that have manifested over the years. I've recommended others to him and they have come away feeling confident in his knowledge of psychiatry. I've personally heard glowing, unsolicited, reports from his peers. He is absolutely phenomenal about returning calls. His only failing (for some) is that he tells it bluntly as it is. There is little hand holding. Personally, I prefer this, but he doesn't suffer fools gladly and can spot b.s. pretty quickly.

Submitted Jan. 16, 2009 | flag

While I visited the doctor (for a chronic pain disorder) he called my mom to verify my illness and that I didnt abuse my meds. He wasn't going to give me meds no matter what so I wasn't sure the point of this. I had previously mentioned that I didn't get along with my mother during his opening questions. While speaking to my mother on speakerphone with me in the same room, he asked if there was anything esle she wanted to have done for me. She responded that she thought I was depressed and that I have mood swings. As I said, we dont get along. I heard all of the things that my mom said. It was very hurtful. Also, I'm well of 18, so a phone call to my mommy wasn't necessary. He then speculated that I could be schizophrenic! This is after having met him for 20 minutes and 5 minutes on the phone with my mother that I dont get along with. I was very upset by this appointment and will not see him again.

Submitted Feb. 21, 2008 | flag

Dr. Berner is a genius at knowing medications, how they interact, and how new ones might be used. He shows compassion. He works with my other docs to optimize my medications. He stays up-to-date with neurology issues, and has a very good knowledge of that area. He has prescribed compounded medications and unusual ones, and they work VERY well, to the surprise of other docs. He has believed in me when other docs dismissed me. He is an unusually caring doctor who is willing to try to help as much as possible. While he understandably does not care for the mundane parts of the practice (e.g.paperwork)he gets it done thoroughly. I would highly recommend this doctor.

Submitted Feb. 3, 2008 | flag