Rate Dr. Herbert Fuchs

Dr. Herbert Fuchs's Ratings

I'm a patient of Dr. Fuchs and he has performed two of my surgeries. The first when I was three and that was to untether my spinal cord, and the second when I was 12 to drain a Rathke's Cleft Cyst on my pituitary gland. Dr. Fuchs did an excellent job on both of the surgeries, he and his team were always on time, and very helpful, friendly and good at explaining things. The second surgery was on November 13, 2009 on Friday, he told us the earliest we'd be able to go home was Tuesday, we went home Sunday. Dr. Fuchs is an amazing doctor and surgeon!

Submitted June 12, 2012 | flag

Dr Fuchs is awesome, very kind and compassionate. I went to him with a possible TC on a Thursday and he had an open for surgery on the next Tuesday. Very informative and patient with all my questions and families questions.

Submitted April 26, 2012 | flag

Dr. Fuchs also saved my son's life by eliminating a need for two surgeries and placing a VP shunt. He met with us and answered all the questions we had and was the ONLY one ON TIME the morning of his surgery(our son was the first case). Met with us after and was incredibly friendly and a great neurosurgeon. We know because our son had two previous one's at different institutions. I would say Dr. Fuch's is the best!!

Submitted Aug. 26, 2011 | flag

My daughter was diagnosed with Tuberous Sclerosis and it was discovered at a local outpatient hospital after she suffered from a grand mal seizure at school and was rushed to a local ER. They called Dr. Fuchs on a Friday afternoon (April 15, 2010) and he took our case immediately. She needed immediate major brain surgery (resection of two giant subependymal astrocytomas) and Dr. Fuchs willingly stayed on duty and took our case. He saved our daughter's life. The craziest thing is that while in the ambulance from the out patient facility to Duke - a friend from work e-mailed me to tell me of an incredible doctor that I should request...Dr. Fuchs. He had saved her son's life years earlier - unknown to me. Little did she know - that was who was waiting for us at Duke with his entire team. He is thoughtful, thorough, careful, certainly not pretentious - and simply a gift to medicine. There is a reason Duke is known as the best and Dr. Fuchs is one of those reasons. Awesome staff,too!

Submitted Aug. 24, 2011 | flag

Dr. Fuchs repaired my sons tethered spinal cord 15 years ago. I remember how scared I was because he was so small, only 6 weeks old. Complications that he could have had were no bowel and bladder control, and no use of his legs. Today, my son plays football for his high school, wrestles, and runs track. That is what I call a success! I have read some of the reviews, and honestly, you can never make everyone happy all of the time. My step-son has Cerebral Palsy, and we are considering Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy to help with the spasticity. If we decide to go ahead with this surgery, Dr. Fuchs is the surgeon we will request.

Submitted Aug. 19, 2011 | flag

Dr. Fuchs is very knowledgeable, kind and is never in a rush. He saved my daughters life. I will recommend this doctor to anyone.

Submitted April 7, 2011 | flag

Dr. Fuchs saved my sons life when he was born with a horribe case of Spina Bifida five years ago.

Submitted Dec. 26, 2010 | flag

Dr. Fuchs is a very busy neurosurgeon who is very accomodating. He routinely rearranges his busy clinic to fit in new patients in need of emergent treatment. He is very knowledgable and supportive of his patients and spends alot of time explaining care and treatment to families.

Submitted Dec. 5, 2010 | flag

Dr. Fuchs makes a good first impression and I'm sure his confidence in some areas of neurosurgery is warranted. With our child, he bit off more than he could chew - keeping her under for over 10 hours and removing a little over half of her tumor. She has endured years of treatment and some limitiations due to brain tumor treatments, but it is clear to us that Fuchs did the most harm to our child. When her tumor became very active again, he recommended that he perform another partial resection, but that radiation would be the best primary treatment. Thank goodness we found another surgeon with more skill in her type of tumor that could provide our daughter with some relatively long term (4.5 + years to date) progression free survival. Now if she ever needs a non-surgical treatment in the future, the radiation "bullet" will still be in the gun.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2010 | flag

Our son had PFD surgery to correct a level 1 Chiari Malformation over two years ago and Dr. Fuchs was both informative and very knowledgeable. I expect the story behind the comment below is exactly what Dr. Fuchs told us. It is not a disease but a malformation which can cause other medical problems that can become worse over time. God complex? Hardly, he was understanding and kind and as others have written I expect he is truly in medicine and performing surgeries on pediatric patients for all of the right reasons. He was truly a blessing to us and our son, and despite facing comples surgery made us feel informed and hopeful. The results have been nothing short of miraculous as our son is no longer faced with living with severe Chiari headaches and his syrinx has all but dissappeared. Thank you Dr. Fuchs! Duke Childrens is a busy hospital for a reason, the staff is busy and so is Dr. Fuchs, but they have always been responsive.

Submitted Aug. 27, 2010 | flag