Dr. Trudy Woudstra

Rate Dr. Trudy Woudstra

Dr. Trudy Woudstra's Ratings

We moved here and I was having many issues that I had ignored for far to long. I contacted the clinic, and found that Dr. Woudstra was taking new patients. During my first appointment, I was advised of the one issue per appointment policy, which made complete sense to me. I said, I have a LIST, she said, perfect, I'll be getting to know you very well over the next couple weeks. I booked appointments for the next 2 weeks, every single day. I've never had to wait for my appointment. She is not the type to push drugs. She has listened to my concerns. I became critically ill, with a lot of surgical complications. How many Dr's do you know that will give you their home # and cell phone # in the event I needed her?. In fact, my aging mother, who's Dr. in Duncan, FLIES thru the door, gives her prescriptions, and sends her on her way, is switching! Trudy is amazing, warm, caring, and knowledgeable. Looking for Dr. who will pump you full of drugs? go to Duncan!

Submitted July 22, 2014 | flag

Dr. Woudstra is a wonderful GP. She is punctual, direct, listens deeply and is very good at discovering what the problem is.I trust her and her ability to diagnose and refer.We have had some very helpful discussions.

Submitted April 11, 2013 | flag

I have found Dr. Woudstra to be very knowledgeable. She is receptive to hearing my thoughts on what I think is wrong with me, but she is also willing to tell I am wrong and why. To some people this may seem abrupt and unreasonable. However, to me, this is why I go to a professional. I have no interested in having my concerns validated. I want her to assess my health and symptoms based on her professional judgement. I have a science background and she is always willing to provide my with technical explanations if I ask. She is great with both my children, who started out feeling very uncomfortable around doctors, but now look forward to seeing Dr. Woudstra. To anyone considering her, I suggest you set aside the criticisms people are levelling and give her a chance. You can always move on if you don't like her and you might just find that she is the best doctor you have ever had (like I did).

Submitted Feb. 24, 2012 | flag

dr Trudy is the worst dr i evehad!!! Rude, doesn't care about pation, she will say "it is normal, it's just the way you are..." noe interested in her pacion health at all. In my case when she just started practicing in Shawnigan, i had a chance to have an appointment with her, after she automaticlly become my family doctor -no one ever as her to do it. In few words she is usfull doctor!

Submitted Feb. 14, 2012 | flag

I was referred to Trudy by a collegue when I first moved out here to Shawnigan, and at first I found her to be a tad abrupt but I think its just the way she is when she first consults with you ....... I must say, I now think she is really fantastic! very knowledgable and thorough ..... Im so thankful that I was referred!!

Submitted Dec. 19, 2011 | flag

I agree that the concept of dealing with one problem per appointment is at best unhelpful. In chronic illness it is usual for a group of symptoms to be inter-related. To be asked to deal with each in a separate appointment is therefore not appropriate let alone dangerous, and for a sick person it can be difficult to attend. As well, Dr. Woudstra has the most annoying habit of spending the alloted 7-8 minutes per visit charting on her computer rather than looking at the patient. Thus, she does not connect well. I, too, miss Dr. Thompson & his ability to see the whole person, in contrast with the more clinical assessment of a single symptom per visit. Despite seeing her for 4 yrs, I do not believe that yet she has an accurate idea of my overall health & life challenges; in contrast, he ascertained this early & thereby gained my confidence. That said, she is knowledgable & very willing to send her patients onto appropriate specialists. Though sometimes too abrupt,I believe she does care.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2011 | flag

I find her rude and very unhelpful. I am not very well and have various stomach conditions/disorders. The way she "helps" is trying drugs rather than trying to get to the bottom of what is happening. She will only discuss 1 issue per appointment, but all of a sudden is working PART TIME so when I call to book an appointment it is at least a month away. In my appointment she told me that my body is making me believe that I am ill mentally and that I should ignore physical symptoms as there is nothing wrong with me, even though she didnt have the time to even check me out. I am very dissapointed and am currently looking into a new doctor. I do not reccomend her whatsoever.

Submitted Feb. 9, 2011 | flag

I find DrW extreemly helpful and always has time for me. I usually go in and i need px's refilled and talk about my health. only once has she rushed me out when i had more questions, but i had been squeezed in bc i have an awful ear infection. the only thing i dislike about shawnigan lake family practice is the main Medical office assistant. i dont think i have met someone more rude, or abrasive. everyone i know that goes there feels the same way.

Submitted Sept. 3, 2010 | flag

Dr. Woudstra is very caring, knowledgeable and helpful. She carefully assesses diagnoses and treatment plans. She embraces first conservative type of treatments based on diet, exercise and behaviour modification; after careful follow up she adopts pharmacotherapy when conservative treatments are not enough. She is very conscious and accommodating in terms of patients' needs (finance and timing). She still manages to give highly personable care even if she is responsible for many patients every day. She keeps an opening for urgent care every day so that you can see your doctor rather than going to the emergency. As her patient , if you are hospitalized, she will come to the hospital even if she has to commute for an hour from her practice. I have not seen any other doctor willing to do so. She is very ethical, and dedicated to her community. She is environmentally and socially conscious.

Submitted Aug. 19, 2010 | flag

I too have redceived Dr. Woudstra's "BUM'S RUSH" (as mentioned several times above) on multiple occasions. When the alotted 15 minutes is up, she ups and walks out, maybe even while in mid-sentence. Never heard are words such as "Excuse me, but I have to go now." At a recent appointment, when I tried to object to this practice, the doctor said I was being "unprofessional" and she called ne "a jerk". Unreal. And there I was almost certain that a doctor calling his or her patient a j"erk" ranks at the top of the medical unprofessionalism scale. Dr. Woudstra also seems to dislike providing clear or detailed answers to a patient's questions posed with the intention of gaining a better understanding of the patient's health situation and issues involved. Not good.

Submitted May 17, 2010 | flag