Rate Dr. Joel Cook

Dr. Joel Cook's Ratings

I've had 3 Mohs surgeries done by Dr. Cook and have another coming up in 6 weeks. I've found him efficient, caring and amazingly talented. One of my basal cell cancers seemed small, but he said it was "nasty," with tentacles going deep and wide under the skin. I ended up having to have a flap done, lost half my eyebrow but the scar is barely noticeable. More recently, I had lip cancer, and he had to remove 2/3 of my lower lip. Reconstruction was complex and lengthy. Some friends wondered whether I should see a plastic surgeon, but I read up on surgical reconstruction for excisions such as mine, and Dr. Cook did what any plastic surgeon would have done -- but better, because skin cancer removal and reconstruction is his specialty. As with other patients, he also called the next day to check on me. Every time, there are people in the waiting room who have come from Georgia and all over SC to see him. Wonder why he graduated only #2 in his class? His twin brother was #1, and is doing the exact thing at Duke.

Submitted Aug. 26, 2014 | flag

I went to him for over ten years. He seems to have lost his care and touch. He missed dianoused a bassal and squamouse cell for over a year. Luckly for me, an intern demanded a biopsy. It took Dr. Cook five times before he removed all the cancer and left me with a horrible scar.

Submitted Jan. 16, 2014 | flag

Wow. I had a basal cell cancer on my face (left side of nose), Dr. Cook and staff are exceptional. I have never seen an office and surgical suite as organized in my life. Extremely professional staff, not cold, but sweet, helpful and nice. Ruthie up front is the first person you meet, she has a wonderful smile that puts you right at ease. Dr. Cook IS the best, so if you need MOHs he (or someone he has trained) is who you want as your MD. He even calls the next day to check on you. As busy as he is, he takes the personal time to check on you-that means a lot-it means he cares and he is excellent.

Submitted Aug. 29, 2013 | flag

Dr Cook and his staff are super!I had 3 morhs surguries in the past 6 months and the results are amazing! I had a tumor grow quickly over my right eye. I was referred to Dr Cook and he removed the tumor which was beginning to grow behind my eye. You can hardly tell he did a skin graft from my chest to fill the large area he had to remove. He also removed a large tumor that grew at the base of my left ear. Another local dermatologist had biopsied tissue earlier but told me she could not treat me til I had other insurance. Dr Cook removed my ear canal and rebuilt it which great skill and caring. He also removed a very large tumor at the base of my neck that looked like a scratch,but upon further investigation was VERY large and dangerously close to my carotid artery. Each surgery was frightening and painful,but Dr Cook and his staff did everything possible to ease both my fears and pain.I traveled 3 hours to see him and it was worth every minute! The staff and Dr Cook are the BEST !

Submitted March 8, 2013 | flag

This doctor was uncaring toward me. In his haste I will always have nerve damage to my face. I would not recommend him

Submitted Sept. 5, 2012 | flag

I recently had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my temple. The entire staff couldn't have been more helpful and caring. Dr. Cook was great and had a great bedside manner. Drove two hours to see him and it was well worth it. Highly recommended!!

Submitted Aug. 21, 2012 | flag

Dr. Cook has performed three Mohs surgeries on squamous cell cancers on both of my legs. The areas where the cancers were located involved very thin skin and required deep excisions. Dr. Cook was very professional, showed a genuine concern for my well being, and each site has now healed nicely. There are scars, of course, but no further cancer at the surgical sites. I would recommend Dr. Cook for Mohs surgery without any hesitation. I would agree with others that he has an ego but I would too if I were a doctor with his skills. In my humble opinion, he has earned the right to an ego. He is damn good at what he does. All of the patients I spoke with in the waiting area were just as positive about their past and future procedures. 5 stars....

Submitted July 9, 2012 | flag

Dr Cook is very very good at what he does. he removed a deep basal cell cancer from my nose and made it appear almost invisible over time. I definitely recommend him highly.

Submitted Dec. 22, 2011 | flag

I had a small basal cell removed but after 6 wks the area still wasn't healing. He kept saying it was normal. An internist looked at it and immediately sent me to a wound care specialist. Within a wk there was a drastic improvement. All the medical professionals say he is one of the best and they don't understand why he dropped the ball on me.

Submitted Sept. 6, 2011 | flag

Dr. Cook is awesome. He is very approachable and professional. Even though there are Dermatologists in my area, I drive two hours each way to see him and have been a patient for approximately 11 years. The man knows his stuff!

Submitted June 1, 2011 | flag