Dr. Glenn Pfeffer

Grad. Year: 1980

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 26/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 35 reviews. Dr. Glenn Pfeffer has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2710512
16/07/13 5 5 5 5 I've been late in writing this review, but was reminded to do so recently because of a comment of how well I've been doing. I'm a mountaineer, or at least I fancy myself one. Last winter, Dr. Pfeffer performed arthroscopic surgery to repair an osteochondral lesion in my right ankle. The injury had occurred nearly two years prior, and after three separate misdiagnoses by other specialists, Dr. Pfeffer used his patience and expertise to get it right. Admittedly, he called my case "a strange one", but his skill cured me. Before the injury, it had gotten to the point where I could barely hike anymore. A walk down the mild sloping rock in Topanga State Park had me limping like an elderly man. Within 6 mths of my surgery, I had begun climbing again, scaling the snow of Mt. Whitney and Mt. Shasta in successive months. Without a bit of pain. Dr. Pfeffer not only solved a problem that no other doctor could diagnose, he fixed it in a way that's given my life vigor again. I highly recommend him.
RID: 2565599
20/02/13 5 5 5 5 I am a professional ballet dancer and Dr. Pfeffer truly was an answer to prayers after many other doctors could not diagnose my problem. He knew exactly what was wrong within the first few minutes of talking to him. He is very knowledgable about dancers and confident in his abilities. He performed Os Trigonum surgery on my ankle about 3 months ago and I am recovering extremely well. I would highly recommend him. He was very entertaining with his stories and although he is obviously a busy man I could tell that he cared about my well being. He does sort of pop in and then out again but I felt he truly does his profession well and I had a wonderful experience as his patient.
RID: 2502037
15/12/12 5 5 5 5 My experience with Dr. Pfeffer and his staff was exceptionally good. I am satisfied with the outcome of my bunion surgery 100%. It reflects Dr. Pfeffer's expertise as a surgeon and doctor.
RID: 2378980
18/07/12 5 5 5 5 I almost didn't go see Dr. Pfeffer because of some negative reviews. They say he's arrogant. I didn't see that. I saw confidence - and isn't that what you want in a surgeon? They say he's easily distracted. That's true. He's a friendly guy who likes to talk off topic. Just bring him back by asking a question. They say he dictates into the recorder-thingy in front of the patient. Not a bad thing in my opinion. They say they had to wait to see him. I didn't. I was always seen on time or even early. But even if I had to wait to see him, who cares! Let's talk about what's really important. He's brilliant. Really knows his stuff. He's unbiased. He'll recommend what's best for you - even if it isn't the "sexy" latest procedure that would make him look good. He is excellent at explaining the pros and cons of treatment options and patiently answered all my questions. Most importantly, I had an excellent outcome after a very complicated surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Pfeffer.
RID: 2362457
13/07/12 5 5 5 5 When I couldn't walk anymore due to a weak ankle from over stretched ligaments, I looked for the best and found Dr. Pfeffer. I had no problem getting an appointment, they were always on time, even early sometimes. His staff was great. I LOVED working with him. My kids call him the Rockgod of Ankles for helping me walk again. Everything is going right on schedule! I have already recommended him to friends. If my other ankle ever needs work (and hopefully it won't ;-) I would go back to him in a heartbeat.
RID: 2294957
26/06/12 5 4 5 5 Dr. Pfeffer did successful reconstructive surgery on my foot. I found him to be extremely pleasant, knowledgeable and patient. He is a very skilled surgeon and I recommend him without hesitation.  Respond
RID: 2174296
30/05/12 5 4 5 5 Excellent doctor. I consulted with two podiatrists prior to Dr Pfeffer and neither could help me. One of the podiatrists actually recommended a treatment that could have made me worse. One consultation with Dr Pfeffer, and my life is changed. He disgnosed me in seconds, and gave me a detailed plan of how to manage my symptoms. I'm doing great now. He's bright, experienced, and very pleasant. I highly recommend him.  Respond
RID: 2005405
10/04/12 5 3 1 1 this guy is the biggest joke going, do not trust one word this guy says, I went to him and was able to walk without a limp 4 months later more pain and walking with a limp, when my insurance ran out before my treatment was finished he told me have a nice life your done,
RID: 1720572
23/02/12 5 4 5 5 The doctor was clear and detailed as to my condition and treatment - including risks and possible outcomes. I was treated professionally, and would recommend the Doctor and his staff to my family or friends.
Paid (or co-pay): $23000
RID: 1661240
14/12/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Pfeffer is an excellent doctor and surgeon! I am a ballet dancer, and I've had an ankle injury for over 10 years that no other doctor I'd seen could diagnose or treat properly.I went through treatments and surgery that didn't work, and had to stop dancing which broke my heart. I was told there was no hope for me to ever train professionally in ballet again. I found Dr. Pfeffer and he was so knowledgeable about my problem and so confident about fixing it through surgery. Now, just 7 weeks after surgery I'm in physical therapy and I am recovering so rapidly! My therapist is impressed and I am so very happy with the results. My only regret is that I did not find Dr. Pfeffer earlier on. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend seeing Dr. Pfeffer if you have an injury and need an expert opinion. I'll be back in class in just a few short weeks and I cannot wait!
RID: 1627310
08/11/11 5 5 5 5 hello my name is shane im a 44yrd father of 6 im a large man over 6 foot 300 pounds anyways i had a foot surgery that went wrongas a resuilt a tenden was cut simply thing didnt go rite i met dr pfeffer and i must say thank god he was straight forward carring made me feel safe talked to me lake a human took a look at my foot we talked about it in turms that i could understand he did a great job im able to walk to standand i think it will keep getting better im not a doctor but your one of the best i have met and nice man so doc im doing better thanks to you and your staff you all are a blessing in my life if ever need anything just ask i owe you so much more than thank you thank you thank you i wilet you know when i run that 10k so thanks to all im much better a+ much respect shane cambell
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1537976
14/09/11 5 3 5 5 My daughter runs to live and lives to run. After experiencing severe foot pain we took her to a podiatrist who misdiagnosed and mistreated her with injections for a foot condition she didn’t have for a full year. Frustrated that she was still in pain, I asked an orthopedist friend for the name of the VERY BEST foot orthopedist. I didn’t care if I had to fly to where he was. Dr. Glenn Pfeffer was the doctor he recommended. Dr. Pfeffer was able to figure out that she had a broken bone in her foot and he treated her accordingly. It is with tears of joy and gratitude that I can say that my daughter is healed and running pain free today. The wait time that you experience when you see Dr. Pfeffer is worth it. Bring a book, relax and know you are going to see the best of the best!
RID: 1490423

19/07/11 4 3 1 1 Beware! Dr. Pfeffer came highly recommended. Agree with others, very arrogant - but he destroyed my foot. Following what what suppose to be a "routine" bunionectomy I was laid up for 6 weeks, and in pain. I had to follow this up with 3-4 months of physical therapy. My foot was swollen beyond belief! He thought this was normal! He told me "this surgery is so good I would put it on the front page of the New York Times!" In the meantime my girlfriend had the identical surgery and was walking and driving in 2 days - no swelling. I ended up going to her Dr. for an opinion about the pain in my foot. Shocker - 1st the entire bunion had not been removed, and 2nd, I had arthritis that was evident in the x-rays that needed to be treated. I had my foot "repaired" by this new surgeon and walked out of the office - no crutches and no pain meds. There are much better procedures than what Dr. Pfeffer is doing, do your research and don't get stuck on the title - it really means nothing.
RID: 1477208
30/06/11 5 5 5 5 I'm now 4 mos out from a pretty extensive ankle surgery and doing great! Great overall experience w Dr. Pfeffer. I had pretty bad bone spurs that were obstructing my range of motion. Dr. Pfeffer first suggested avoiding surgery to see if the inflammation would subside on its own. It didn't, and so we did the surgery expecting it to be arthroscopic. Turned out the ankle was worse than the MRI and X-rays showed, so they had to make an incision and shave off a lot of bone and cartilage that had grown around the bone after a fracture. Recovery wasn't so fun, but I could not have had a better result. Aside from his expert diagnosis and surgery, he was always very concerned that I followed his instruction so as to avoid an infection or reinjuring the ankle somehow. I'd recommend Dr. Pfeffer to my brother.
RID: 1461336
10/06/11 5 5 5 5 I had a shattered heel that other medical professional are amazed that anyone was able to put back together, much less repair me well enough to continue my career as a stuntman. Dr. Pfeffer thoroughly discussed different options, made me aware of different "what if" scenarios, and very importantly told me what he would do if he was in my position. He saved my career with a very impressive surgery that is as much an engineering feat as it is medical.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1447139
22/05/11 5 5 5 5 Dr Pfeffer is the the best orthopedic surgeon there is! I travelled to LA to see him for my bunions. He performed a bunionectomy on my left foot and the results are fantastic!! Both he and his staff are caring, knowledgeable, and always available.
RID: 1426764
27/04/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Pfeffer is simply the best in the field. I cannot recommend him highly enough as a surgeon. Three years ago I could not walk and had exhausted the list of "foot doctors" in my area. I went to him with severely deformed feet from CMT and he was able to turn my life around through a very complex surgery. His manner in the office is abrupt but he is not there just to tell you what you want to hear. He is working from years of experience in what is a very specialized field.
RID: 1403573
31/03/11 4 4 4 5 Dr. Pfeffer is an excellent surgeon. His office is efficiently run. I wonder, is it the 'clinic' environment that limits how personable and caring he can be? Patients would benefit from a greater show of concern, clearer, more detailed explanation all the way around, and less brusque post-op follow-up. Still, he is top-of-the-ine professionally, and I unreservedly recommend him.
RID: 1378314
04/03/11 5 4 5 5 Excellent doctor. Very bright, caring and kind. He helped me when no-one else could. I owe him a lot, and I highly recommend him.
RID: 1349278
28/01/11 5 3 5 5 I found Dr Pfeffer to be very knowledgeable. I liked that he did not push any extra tests or drastic treatments. I was actually hesitant to see him after seeing the reviews here, but I found him to be quite pleasant. He has a very dry sense of humor which can be interpreted as condescending. He's a bit of a doc Hollywood too, but in an interesting way. I would recommend him to a friend.
RID: 1338789
17/01/11 5 5 5 5 These people don't know what they are talking about. He is one of the best there is, highly recommended.  Respond
RID: 1293161
13/11/10 2 1 1 1 Really arrogant! Went to him for a second opinion and, after waiting two hours to be seen, he told me straight out that he was the only person who could fix my ankle (he wanted to fuse it). He bad mouthed my original doctor - told me he was incompetent and that I would have a bad outcome. I took a leap of faith and went with my original doctor - BEST decision I made. 5 hours of surgery later, my ankle was reconstructed and on the mend. I now have no pain and almost complete range of motion...heh,Pfeffer wanted to fuse it!!!
RID: 1290320
09/11/10 5 3 1 3 Terrible experience. I felt he was condescending, rude, and unhelpful. Seemed more concerned with rushing patients out of his office than with actually offering medical care/advice. Not worth the visit.  Respond
RID: 1256192
22/09/10 5 4 5 5 I visited Dr. Pfeffer for a second opinion, having chosen him based on his expertise and reputation. As I live in San Francisco, I was willing to travel to LA to see the best. His office staff was patient and diligent undertaking what turned out to be a monumental task to obtain my medical records from UCSF. Service at his office was prompt and efficient. I was escorted to the exam room before I could even finish the paperwork. A Physician's Assistant came in and interviewed me. I was escorted to x-ray and back (the x-ray techs were also efficient and friendly) and back and Dr. Pfeffer appeared almost immediately. Dr. Pfeffer analyzed my records, asked what seemed to be the appropriate questions and took a considerable amount of time discussing two different surgical options, the potential benefits and risks to both, and the risks associated with not having further surgery at all. Dr. Pfeffer was personable and sensitive to my particular circumstances.
RID: 1253914
19/09/10 4 1 1 1 I waited nearly two hours to see the doc for an opinion. Had an experience similar to the other negative experiences here. I felt he was condescending and unhelpful. I would caution against using him. I regret seeing him.  Respond
RID: 1154032
21/04/10 4 5 4 4 Had barely finished my paperwork when I was called back into the room. The physician's assistant was friendly/professional. I had broken my right foot 2 1/2 yrs ago and it never healed right. Since then I experienced pain, loss of mobility and repeated re-injury. I recently tripped causing my entire foot and toes to swell. I was taken to xray, where I had no wait time, then escorted back to my room. I waited abt 10 mins for Dr Pfeffer (reasonable by Dr standards). He explained that I had broken my toe. He taped me up and gave me an oh-so-fashionable orthopedic shoe to wear until it heals. He also took the time to explain why my foot was still bothering me - the bones had grown back together incorrectly limiting my motion and causing chronic pain. He told me I would need surgery to fix it, but didn't pressure me into making a decision. Told to me take the next 6 weeks to decide and let him know when got a check-up for my toe. Overall a caring, knowledgeable Dr -Good experience
RID: 1120914
05/03/10 3 1 1 2 Keep me waiting up to two hours. Inconsiderate.Not happy with results of surgery. Rushed. Would not recommend to anyone.  Respond
RID: 1115123
25/02/10 3 1 1 1 Waited about 2 hours to be shown to a room. When I was finally seen, I felt like I my opinions were dismissed. And when I described my situation, I felt I had to defend the fact that I was having pain. In the end, I left feeling helpless. I will not go back.
RID: 1077918
13/01/10 3 1 2 4 I saw him, he knows his stuff, very smart. Does not listen to the patient after waiting over an hour to see him. I had surgery for bunion, BIG MISTAKE. follow ups were slow. Before surgery he said ROM would inprove, after it is WORSE!!! and he said, well it is cosmetic. WHAT?!?! Don't bother with him.
RID: 985675
12/09/09 2 5 4 5 I am 41, have plantar Facitus, w/bilateral foot pain. He said i was perfect for PRP treatment. yes he's a bit of a genius, in his own world, as he should be. How much time, $$$$, and effort resting and doing absolutely what he says. Regardless of your work, your life, your kids etc. IT HURT LIKE HELL but I think he might have healed me! and I have another surgery on the RT. I have a job and kids too! But I'm determined to walk, ski, live live with my feet! Can't wait for the next surgery. More numbing on that one.
RID: 978976
03/09/09 3 1 1 1 Horrible experience. Doctor ordered x-rays even though I had my own. Then proceeded to charge me 715 dollars for them. The kicker: HE NEVER LOOKED AT THEM DURING MY ENTIRE CONSULTATION!!!
Paid (or co-pay): $800
RID: 917285
19/06/09 4 4 5 5 i cant say enough good things about Dr. Pfeffer. i am an athlete who enjoys many sports and injured my ankle several years ago i have seen several doctors in the bay area (where i live) and even after surgery was never better or correctly diagnosed. after much research and phone calls i was given dr pfeffers name by several people. i was given an appointment quickly and flew to LA from the bay area to see him. i did have to wait in his office but i expected to wait for someone with his experitse. he did spend alot of time with me, figured out my problems, operated on my ankle and now i am pain free for the first time in 3 years! after speaking to many people including doctors i found out that many of the doctors in the city go to him for treatment for themselves or their families and that was good enough recommendation for me! he is a fantastic talented surgeon and an expert in the foot and ankle.. well worth the wait  Respond
RID: 819429
08/03/09 1 1 1 2 Waited well over an hour, came into office and he ignored me, talking to resident who was with him. Finally addressed me, told me (without examining) that he would perform surgery on my right foot and redo a surgery on my left foot (done by another doctor). The resident gave me a cortesone shot (not the doc) and Pfeffer made jokes about poking the foot completely through with the needle. Then he told me the shot hadn't worked and he couldn't do anything for me. The shot did work, he was pressing the wrong area on my foot. He refused to listen to me - was very dismissive. Went to another doctor who told me I didn't need surgery, gave me another cortesone shot and foot got even better. Pfeffer is terrible all around. Even trying to get an appt was difficult - his office didn't answer the phone and no one returned messages. Keep away in my opinion.  Respond
RID: 544834
23/03/08 1 1 1 1 Waited 2 hours to see him. What a disappointment! He spent two minutes with me and told me that my only salvation was with him, and that he was going to fuse my ankle because of the AVN. Went to a young guy, and he saved the day! Totally up on all of the new procedures.  Respond
RID: 487590
18/01/08 3 3 1 1 I definitely felt "ageism" from Dr. Pfeffer - I am a 58 year old female with bi-lateral foot pain. He totally blew me off and told me to buy rocker-bottom shoes. He barely even touched my feet to examine them! He did give me an elaborate booklet that he had authored on foot ailments. (?) Meanwhile, it turns out I had very severe plantar fasciitis. Don't waste your time with this doctor. He has ego issues.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user