Rate Dr. John Dimock

Dr. John Dimock's Ratings

This guy lacks the most basic of bedside manners. He is condescending and arrogant to say the very least. His treatment is solely PRESCRIPTIVE. Don't bother asking questions, or expressing your concerns. They will only be ignored. He is a know it all who couldn't care less about his patients. Oh and don't be surprised if he "recommends" for you to see a therapist by the name of Shelley Briscoe Dimock (his wife). What a joke!

Submitted Aug. 11, 2014 | flag

Submitted Aug. 5, 2014 | flag

Poor knowledge, in medicine and pharmacology in general. Does not know much psychiatry in general. Good in talking.

Submitted July 28, 2014 | flag

I was referred to Dimock because I had questions about side effects of lamictal during a potential illness. Dimock didn't answer my question about the risks and potential for side effects, and told me that the original psychiatrist didn't know what he was doing when he put me on lamictal (I've been on it for 5 years and it has done exactly what it needed to.) Dimock told me I could go off lamictal by reducing the dosage 25 mg a week for a month- my original doctor advised tapering over 6-10 months and from everything I've read it would be extremely dangerous to taper faster. Dimock did not offer me a follow-up appointment to check in- just told me to go home and taper the lamictal down on this very fast schedule with no supervision. He also lacked basic knowledge about similar medications I wanted to compare with lamictal. Self-absorbed to the point of distraction: my favorite quote from the appointment "Did you notice my tie? It has naked women on it."

Submitted May 5, 2014 | flag

To make a long story short, he prescribed me Piportil 25 mg without telling me the side effects or much of anything about it. I developed serious tardive dyskinesia in my right hand. I had a lawyer lined up to sue the doctor, but the 2 year window had passed. If you need a real psychiatrist, please consult the Royal Ottawa Hospital. There's some reason why he doesn't work there anymore. Hope that helps!

Submitted Aug. 15, 2013 | flag

AVOID this psychiatrist at ALL COSTS! He has a huge ego and is condescending to say the least. He is there to get paid and doesn't show any care or compassion. He referred me to his wife Shelley Briscoe Dimock when I expressed my disinterest in his services. From others I have heard only negative things about her services. The two are the same and to be avoided. Both have HUGE EGO's and provide POOR services. You have been warned.

Submitted June 24, 2013 | flag

Beware of this psychiatrist. Though he likes to change his diagnoses of you from time to time, forgets what his last diagnoses was, depending on his mood that day, if you are a woman who has been sexually abused as a child, to him you are AUTOMATICALLY BPD, no if’s and’s or but’s. If you are currently on anti-depressants be prepared to be ripped off them and put on a low dose mood stabilizer (off-label, Topamax 25mg). If you are seeing him for insurance purposes, make sure you ask your insurer for a copy of his report (it’s your right) and you will be surprised what you find out. Dr Dimock has a very bad record of telling you what you want to hear, then telling something completely different to the insurance companies, putting your income/employment at risk. And for those saying that we are ignorant, I was finally diagnosed PROPERLY with PTSD that was done in a 3 hour session and testing... it takes more than his standard 20 minutes(very late starts, non therapy topics discussed).

Submitted Feb. 7, 2013 | flag

Hated him on my first visit; acted like a total dick. Stick it out because he acts that way to read your reactions, and figure out how in need you are (ex. worn down from work vs suicidal).I went in being told I was bipolar to find out on my 2nd appnt that I actually have Borderline personaity disorder. He knew that from my first visit based on how I acted and responded to him. He doesn't give step by step instructions on "how to get better", he works through your struggles and issues and gives small bits to think about after. (ex. for me poor self image, he said and try to tell myself everyday that "I'm worthy". It helps) He's a very laid back guy, but very supportive. He has a dry sense of humour that some might not understand. He's blunt and straight up about everything. Some appnts I do all the talking, others he's talking to me and explaining things most of the time. He expects you to start talking first - even at the 1st appnt, he won't ask many questions. He's helped me alot.

Submitted Jan. 23, 2013 | flag

Horrible experience with him during custody part of divorce..he sypmathised with mentally ill husband, supporting his attempt at unsupervised visits, while on the side told my lawyer he could not function without a female presence . Thanks for potentially putting my son at risk! He was absolutely rude to me when I was forced to take toddler son to his office for 3 forced supervised visits with ex-husband and his mother so they could try to get a "good review" in a report for the courts. He took my son in the room, shut the door and locked it! The review did not help(thank God) and later a proper assessment was made, identifying many issues that made supervised visits absolutley neccessary for the father and my son. I obviously have no respect for this man, and bitterness because he added to the already difficult position of single parenting, fighting a mentally ill spouse in court (while he played with the system) and harrassment . He is NOT PROFESSIONAL and was biased...AVOID.

Submitted March 9, 2012 | flag

Laughed, and could not agree more, with "I get the impression that he's somewhat lazy. He feigns a laid-back attitude but it seems like he has some ego issues and is easily put on guard / offended by intelligent people." Also: "slovenly," "unprofessional" -- no, I don't care what Cameron Diaz's breasts looked like in her dress. To be honest, the appointments were not wholly unenjoyable; probably an ok chap to knock back a pint with. But they were utterly useless. Saw Dimock at an abysmally low point in my life; got no help at all, ended up in ER trying to get help for PTSD/suicidal depression, which was certainly not forthcoming from Dimock, despite many entreaties from myself (and friends, to him) that that was where I was headed. Ego got in the way of accurate diagnoses; pharmacologically useless. Actively mocked the more severely mentally ill; got the impression that I appeared too high-functioning to be deemed worthy of serious treatment; my problems seemed to amuse him.

Submitted March 4, 2012 | flag