You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard J. Kennedy

Dr. Richard J. Kennedy's Ratings

My appointment at Dr. Kennedy's office was the most unpleasant medical appointment I've ever had. He has no bedside manners and his nursing staff is horrible. I had to stop the nurse from administering my allergy medication and request the doctor do it as she was diluting the medication incorrectly. I'm looking for a new doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2762689].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

We brought our young son to this doctor. He diagnosed him with allergies and was not able to articulate what our son is allergic to. He did not test for requested substances that are known to cause him a reaction for confirmation. We have since been to a much more thorough and communicative certified allergist - although we waited 14 months for the referral it was well worth it. On the College of Physicians and Surgeons for Alberta website Dr. Kennedy specialty is listed as internal medicine and respirology. If you are looking for an allergist go to one for whom it is a recognized specialty by the College.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2720424].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 13, 2015

My visit to Dr. Kennedy's office last month was the most humiliating and demeaning doctors office visit I've ever experienced.
To be clear, Dr. Kennedy himself was pleasant enough to deal with, even though he didn't provide any sort of explanation or deeper level of understanding on what I was testing for. Besides his own performance, my real issue was with his staff.
The 1st tech who performed my pre-breathing tests:
First of all, when I entered the room with my shopping bags, she jokingly mocked that I was carrying too many heavy bags, which I explained was because I take the bus.
We then began the tests, and she became quite exasperated with my results, even claiming that I was purposefully trying to botch the results, as if I'd even know how that would be accomplished. After repeated extra attempts to make me pant properly like a dog, while blocking my airway, she gave up and told me to 'just leave the room.'
After that start, I was made to wait 1.5 hours in an empty waiting room for my next consultation by Dr. Kennedy himself. This was a simple check-up sort of review and asking of relevant questions to my case. After this I was directed to the next waiting room where the allergy testing was to take place.
The 2nd tech/nurse:
This is where the real horror began. The nurse there grabbed the non-fiction book I was reading from my hands, and reviewed its jacketed contents and then told me I was evil for reading it.

She would not drop the subject, repeatedly telling me I was evil for reading such a non-fiction work. I tried to explain to her the context of the book, but she spoke over top of my words and became visibly flustered. She continued prepping her area and just before starting my tests turned to me and said "Ok, well then we're going to get real evil on you today."
At this point I became extremely nervous and slightly scared as this nurse who is about to poke me about 80 times with a razor blade.
I told her plainly that if she was that disturbed by my choice of reading material, that we should not go through with the test at this time. Not to mention that I'm paying for this! She responded that I was over reacting and told me to sit down.
She then began the test and continued to pointedly question me about my lifestyle, berating my responses as different and not aligned with her worldview.
Fortunately she was skilled with the razor and did that portion well.
Otherwise, the most unprofessional doctors visit I've ever been too, not only in Canada, but on any continent.
I left that office feeling belittled, scared and without any tangible results that helped me understand my health situation.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2709965].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 5, 2015

I've been to Dr. Kennedy's office twice now (once for allergy/pulmonary testing & a follow up), I find him to be quiet & not as warm/friendly as other doctors I've seen however he is knowledgeable and thorough, if he sees something that causes concern he'll definitely do something about it & my family doctor was taught in med school by him. I do wish he was more descriptive in his diagnoses and guidelines, but he is an older doctor so that's understandable. The staff here is fantastic and very friendly, the allergy testing is also a cinch, would recommend for that. Expect a bit longer of wait times, but the results are worth it in the end.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2605330].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2014

Terrible experience with Dr. Kennedy. Staff is unprofessional and he doesn't seem to care about his patients. That's a scary thought when your dealing with severe allergies!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2546471].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 22, 2014

I saw Dr. Kennedy this week for an allergy and pulmonary function test, the allergy test was simple & the nurse, Monique was fantastic. I also have no allergies I didn't know about (only allergic to cats). However, my pulmonary function test did not have very good results (I've had a chronic cough for almost a year with shortness of breath), he gave me strong inhalers free of charge and will be seeing him again next month. Asked me a lot of questions and is very thorough, however I found he isn't very descriptive about what condition I have, he just said I have bad lung disease but didn't diagnose me nor elaborate. I had a PF test in Vancouver in April 2014 and that one was normal, so I don't know what's changed since then; wish I knew what condition I have.. apparently it's not asthma. Overall, Dr. Kennedy is a knowledgeable doctor and is thorough, however I wish he was better at elaborating/explaining my condition which will go undiagnosed till I see my family doc next week.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2481669].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 17, 2014

I have seen him twice and am extremely disappointed. His staff are unprofessional, and will argue with each other in the waiting room. It is a huge waiting line every time i've been in and it is clear that he is simply rushing you through as fast as possible. When I did receive the allergy testing he just emailed me "you are allergic to soy and milk, don't eat these." No report or anything. I waited 2 hours to get in.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2432674].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2014

Dr. Kennedy was prompt and efficient, both are things I appreciate. He's not much of a talker but when he sees a medical concern he addresses it. Some of my results were not ideal so he suggested a treatment plan and ensured I had a follow up in 3 weeks. I have been a patient at his practice for approx 4 years, I get allergy shots every spring. There were new concerns regarding allergies in the last 6 months and when the scratch tests didn't show a reaction, he moved to the next step, where an obvious reaction was present. I am very confident in his skills. I don't need a doc to be chatty with me, I need one to be efficient and respect my time and concerns. He did exactly that.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][908630].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 27, 2013

I liked Dr Kennedy. He's not the smiliest or friendliest doctor, but he asked all the right questions, did all the tests I needed, and determined what was wrong with me. Gave me recommendations, both for diet and seasonal allergies. Overall, I thought he was great. I'd have no problem recommending him to others.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][908629].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 21, 2012

We took our 8yr old to Dr Kennedy for allergy testing. He has no bedside manners at all, very matter of fact, and un-personable.The woman who actually preformed the allergy testing was wonderful, and very friendly. She noted several things my son was reacting to very strongly, yet when Dr Kennedy examined my son quite some time later he made no mention of those reactions. I am not sure if Dr Kennedy just didn't know what substances the reactions were from or if he waited too long and those reactions were less severe by the time he examined my son. I did not receive a report or information other than, a photocopy sheet about molds.I left feeling like I wasted my time and money. And I not be returning and I will be asking My family Dr to refer us to a different allergist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][908628].votes_count ]]