Dr. David E. Sosin

Grad. Year: 1961

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 25/11/10    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 45 reviews. Dr. David E. Sosin has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Psychiatrist-related: mental illness, depression, schizophrenia, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, substance abuse disorders, depression medication, pharmacological treatment, prescription drugs
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2758434
09/08/13 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Sosin's now for 4 months and could not ask for a better doctor or better overall experience. Dr. Sosin's academic credentials speak for themselves, but in terms of his personal relationship with his patients, he is caring and compassionate, takes his time to ask questions and hear your answer, is thorough in discussing what medications he feels would be helpful and why. He is meticulous in making sure he has treated all concerns with care and thoroughness. I have every confidence in him and am doing SO much better since I have been in his care. He is Board Certified and has gone above and beyond to keep abreast of new information in the field, the latest in pharmaceuticals, etc. What I like best however, besides his warm personality, is that he gets the nuances of going through life with ADD. He makes no secret of the fact he has it himself. For those of you considering being treated by him, you will have a well educated, deeply experienced ally in him.
RID: 2520763
03/01/13 5 4 5 5 I found Dr. Sosin while researching physicians to help treat my stepson's ADHD. Dr. Sosin educated us on the reasons why our boy was being improperly medicated and changed his medication. The Dr. also stressed that ADD/ADHD is genetic and we scheduled my wife for an appointment. Sure enough, she was diagnosed with ADD - and benefited greatly from treatment. I asked if I could make an appointment to discuss my own anxiety/panic issues that I've lived with. Surprisingly, I too was diagnosed with ADD, which I didn't believe but soon accepted as I was expertly guided and educated by Dr. Sosin. Several months later, I'm a new person - with clarity, direction and answers to why I always was called "bright" but felt "different". Now I understand and can manage my anxiety/ADD. Dr. Sosin is a kind, warm and non-judgmental man, but incredibly knowledgable and up to date in his field. He has helped my family and I in so many ways, and we are eternally grateful. Highly recommended!  Respond
RID: 1846009
04/04/12 5 5 5 5 I am really blessed to have found Dr. Sosin. He was recommended to me 24 years ago and is the tops in his field. His expertise of migraines and pharmacology outshines everyone. His knowledge of the newest medications and interactions with other medications I take is invaluable. He is compassionate and educates the patient in triggers and environmental causes and how to minimize their effects. Donna, his nurse is outstanding and goes the extra mile in emergencies and appointments. I have moved to Northern Calif. but continue to see Dr. Sosin as my doctor -I would drive days to keep my appointments. I have recommended Dr. Sosin to many family members for treatment. HE IS THE GREATEST - and a wonderful man.
RID: 1725435
29/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Sosin is the most knowledgeable and caring physician I have ever known. I am also a physician and am very particular with the physicians I see for myself and my family. When you see him you know that you now have someone who is on your side; looking out for your best interest. I was greatly impressed with the way he looked at me as an individual and designed a therapy for me. Having Dr. Sosin as my doctor is allowing me to live a much easier and happier life.  Respond
RID: 1707278
07/02/12 5 5 5 5 It wasn't until college that I sought help for A.D.D and made an appointment with Dr. Sosin. I was in Calc II and could only do a few problems before starting to drift (loose focus). Now I can focus as long as need be. Here is my pre/post treatment summary: 'C' student through high school and into college; carried 2.3 GPA at point of first session with Dr. Sosin; GPA is now 3.1 i.e., turned 'A' student thanks to Dr. Sosin.
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 1698211
27/01/12 5 5 5 5 Doctor David E. Sosin has done more for me than anyone could ever imagine. Since the first visit it was an amazing feeling to have someone completely and genuinely understand the hardships one of his patients is enduring. He is always spot on with how I am feeling and how I am thinking and I thought that there would be no one who could truly see eye to eye with me. He is a man of few words, but POWERFUL. He doesn't have to say much but every word hits me like a brick of brand new perspective on society and life. He has drastically changed my life for the better. Doctor David E. Sosin is not simply just a Psychiatrist who doesn't know or care about his patients, He is now a role model and friend no question about it. He doesn't sugar coat anything and he tells it how it is. In the society we live in today, people sugar coat everything and it's just annoying and wrong. It's rare to meet down to earth individuals who genuinely care about their work, because it's not work for him.
RID: 1654280

06/12/11 1 5 5 5 Having recently moved to SoCal, I called Dr. Sosin's office seeking a consult to continue care for my ADHD. The receptionist's attitude on the phone was absolutely deplorable. She immediately took on a condescending tone when I told her I was uninsured, making some very offensive remarks and unnecessary assumptions. She told me that I should not waste Dr. Sosin's time scheduling an appointment because I would not be able afford the $585 consult fee. Really, lady? Really?! You ought to know better than that. It's really cute that you think you know how much money I have in the bank. Maybe you should pursue a career as a psychic instead? I truly hope Dr. Sosin finds a new receptionist if he hopes to maintain his good reputation. His staff's unprofessional attitude is NOT doing him any favors. Such a disappointment - I was looking forward to meeting him, too.  See Responses
RID: 1577582
02/11/11 5 4 5 5 David Sosin is a great doctor, possessing a unique combination of knowledge and sensitivity. He is very diligent when it comes to listening to feedback from his patients, allowing him to tailor treatment strategies to the individual. He has made a difference in my life and I can not recommend him highly enough.
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 1564598
18/10/11 5 5 5 5 They just don't make 'em like this anymore: empathetic to a fault, trustworthy, trusting, full of integrity, meticulous, kind, interested, willing, charitable, down-to-earth. No hand shakes, just hugs. He talks to you as an equal, and not as a condescending intellectual superior as most doctors do. When he prescribes, he makes sure the medication(s) are covered by your insurance. He listens intently and asks lots of questions, and then formulates an effective treatment plan from a logical thought process and his thirty years of experience as an Ivy-League-educated doctor. He must genuinely love helping people, because he's still a practicing doctor even with his 76th birthday approaching next week--and his intellect is still as sharp as ever! I also appreciate his down-to-earth straight talk, talking to you as he would a friend. There's no bull**** or trying to put on a facade. What you get is what you see. Donna, the front desk nurse, is also very sweet. Thanks Dr. Sosin!
RID: 1547046
26/09/11 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr.Sosin's for about three years. In the So. California area he is regarded as the authority on ADD. Dr. Sosin is always very thorough and informative during his treatments. He makes sure you understand his diagnosis and how he plans to treat you as a patient. He is a very caring and compasionate man which I have found hard to find in the the medical professional these days. I think so highly of him I fly in from the east coast for my therapy.!  Respond
RID: 1501116
01/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Sosin is a life-saver! I cannot express enough how much he helped me become a better medical student, family member, and overall-- a better, happier, more productive person! While I had been a very successful high-school and college student thus far, I started to struggle during my first year of medical school. This led to much frustration, and eventually to depression. As a relatively high achieving student, I found it hard to believe that I could have had ADD. I incorrectly believed the myths surrounding the stereotypical day-dreaming 10 year old girl, or overly hyper, uncontrollable little boy. As someone who had been a valedictorian, and gained acceptance into medical school, I really found it hard to believe that I could have ADD. To make matters worse, this myth was being supported by my medical professors. I am so grateful that Dr. Sosin is a physician who is open-minded, incredibly empathetic, and someone who genuinely cares for his patients!!  Respond
RID: 1500266
31/07/11 5 4 5 5 I heard a radio interview Dr. Sosin gave on/about ADD and realized I had ALL the "symptoms" of ADD. After several tests and interviews with Dr. Sosin, it was obvious what had caused me to struggle so much through high school, college,and graduate school. Dr. Sosin recommended several drugs for treatment which were tried over the following months. Finally we found the combination best for me and I've been on them for 16 years. I have been a patient of Dr. Sosin's now for 16+ years. Has it changed my life? No! I was a successful business entrepreneur before. The treatment Dr. Sosin prescribed has made my life better by making me better and more efficient. If I had to guess at a number, I'd say I'm 20% more efficient because of the treatment Dr. Sosin prescribed. I am very glad I heard that radio interview 16+ years ago!  Respond
RID: 1496587

26/07/11 1 1 1 1   Respond
RID: 1400592
29/03/11 5 5 5 5 After years of struggling with undiagnosed ADD Dr. Sosin provided me with the answers and help I couldn't find elsewhere. HIs wealth of knowledge and candor make him easy to talk to and understand. And his insights on ADD are impressive to say the least. I can't imagine expecting more from a doctor, and I feel fortunate to have found his help. I'd recommend him to anyone.
RID: 1380918
07/03/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sosin helped me get through some seriously tough times when I was going through a really bad depression. Also I have a really high tolerance for drugs... after a few months they stop working, so he helped me switch off to other meds when they stopped working. I am know at the point where I don't need any medication because I tapered off little by little. I truly recommend him for people who have severe migraines and/or have ADD or ADHD as well.
RID: 1296757
18/11/10 5 5 5 5 After having anxiety and panic attacks for years, and trying several different psychiatrists, I finally found one who actually cares! No other doctor would listen to me about how anti-depressants didn't work for me, and would just put me on a different one. Dr.Sosin found what actually works for me, and I'm finally free of anxiety and panic. I couldn't be more thankful for finding him!
RID: 1119459
03/03/10 5 5 5 5 Thoughtful, caring and unyielding in prescribing according to his expertise and deep knowledge of specific cases. First doctor I've ever met whose clear priority is helping the patient. Is non-judgmental and genuine in all respects. Have seen him for years, and highly value his guidance and (how seldom is this word used to describe a medical provider)...friendship.
RID: 1040700
22/11/09 5 5 5 5 Wow, I cannot believe I found all these reviews here. They are in fact very accurate. I have a similar situation to some of the others. I have been a patient of Dr Sosin for 20 tears being treated for migraine. He is very sympathetic to my pain and has helped me manage it throughout the years. He is always interested in the changing circumstances in my life. He knows how pain effects your judgement and performance and helps you manage the total situation. Awesome doctor !
RID: 1025999
04/11/09 5 4 5 5 I have been seeing Dr Sosin for about 20 years, for migraine headaches. I am a pharmacist, yet I always learn something new from Dr Sosin. He understands the pharmacology of all medications and the possible interaction and side effects, and can use this knowledge to achieve a successful treatment for any patient. He is an intelligent, kind, knowledgeable, friendly, interesting man who always has time for his patients. His nurse Donna is also wonderful- efficient, knowledgeable, organized, and also always friendly and helpful. Dr Sosin is extremely intelligent, and besides medicine has many outside hobbies & interests, some of which I share, such as art, travel, and tropical fish. Thank goodness for Dr. Sosin- he has brought my migraines under control, and has always been there for me. Only comment: you may have to wait a bit to see him, but once in his office he will spend as much time with you as you need. Each patient is given his full time and effort.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 973856
27/08/09 5 3 5 5 Dr Sosin is a great doctor. I have been seeing Dr Sosin for years to treat migraine headaches that I have had all my life. After going from doctor to doctor and having them experimenting on me with all kinds of medication it is nice to have found Dr Sosin. Not only did Dr Sosin reduce the frequency of my migraines, I can now get rid of most of my migraines. Thank you Dr Sosin for making such a positive difference in my life. Tim  Respond
RID: 964822
17/08/09 5 5 5 5 Brilliant Dr. Sosin reduced vomiting & incapacitating pain from genetic Migraines to help me function incredibly better in my System Engineering job. Years later, I developed spasms. Carefully trying medications, aware of interactions, he discovered a combination to control the spasms, later identified as incurable diseases. Years later, I was in a car accident. Knowing I needed extra help, humble Dr. Sosin with his efficient, compassionate nurse, Donna, got me into Mayo Clinic. The diseases diagnosis stated lifelong chronic pain. For 21 years, Dr. Sosin, truly a Gift of God to our family, offered keen insights to help me cope with family crises. His ethics even put a “quack” doctor out of business. Without Dr. Sosin, I would not be alive today. It helps to have a doctor who knows what debilitating pain is, who cares enough to keep you fighting. He is the epitome of Professionalism, Kindness, Ethics, Expertise and High Quality Work.I thank God, the day I met Donna& Dr.Sosin.
RID: 960136
11/08/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Sosin is a very thorough, caring doctor who worked with me to address my adult ADD issues. I like the fact that he is careful about medication, yet keeps abreast on new pharmaceutical/ behavorial developments to make sure his patients are getting the best care possible.
RID: 960046
11/08/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sosin is a great individual,and a caring physician.He always listens intently,and comes up with a solution to the problem.He never rushes anyone.
RID: 941308
20/07/09 5 4 5 5 Dr Sosin is excellent at making sure a patient understands the drugs they are taking and the interaction of various medications. In 20 years as his patient, I've know him to be logical and practical as he perscribes with integrity and remarkably intelligence.  Respond
RID: 934267

11/07/09 1 1 1 1 Dr. sosin has a terrible unexceptable personality. He was treating me for AD/HD. I told him the medicines were to high of a dosage and the side effects were out of control. He told me that if I went to someone else they would F*** me over and I would never recover. I would be DEAD if I did not realize something was wrong and found a new doctor.  See Responses
RID: 917020
18/06/09 5 3 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Sosin's for over 20 years and he is the only one who was able to help me with my migraines. He is always willing to take as much time as necessary to discuss any symptoms or problems that I might have with any medication that I'm using and change them accordingly. I have recommended him to several people and consider him a friend as well as my doctor.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 909364
09/06/09 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Sosin for almost 20 yrs. He was the only physician who provided relief for my tension headaches and also correctly diagnosed my ADD. Regarding the tension headaches, he kept trying different medications until we found the one drug that worked for me. Regarding the ADD, I always had to work extra hard at school to complete projects and assignments. It took me 3 times as long to complete assignments as I was easily distracted and had difficulty focusing. Dr.Sosin provided assistance to me and he is always willing to listen to what is going on in my life. Dr. Sosin treats the whole person. Because of his assistance, I have received several promotions at work as the quality and quantity of my work has improved. It takes me about an hour to travel to his office for appts. but it is worth it. Dr. Sosin and his staff really do care and he listens to me, the patient, which is so difficult to find. Thank you Dr.Sosin for everything you have done for me.
RID: 902769
02/06/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Sosin has been treating me for ADD for one and a half years. I am also a health professional. Dr. Sosin is one of the very few M.D.'s I have met or been treated by that will even listen to your complaints. He is very compassionate and cares for his patients well being. He has certainly helped me personally put my life back together. Unfortunately, I have now moved across the country and I am not looking forward to trying to find a physician than will come close to his competence. If needed, I would pay the cost of a plane ticket just so I could remain in treatment with him.  Respond
RID: 899729
29/05/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sosin is beyond intelligent. Not only does he have knowledge of the chemistry and compounds of the medications, but he has the ability to use multiple medications to get a well rounded effect to cure all aspects needed. My doctor retired years ago and until I found Dr. Sosin, I can honestly say I had given up on anyone being able to address my complex situation. I have a new lease on life as my search for the perfect combination ensues.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 893803
21/05/09 5 5 5 5 Ihave been treated by Dr. Sosin for close to 20 years and continue to refer my nursing students and colleagues to him for the treatment of severe headaches and migraines. Dr. Sosin is a good listener who takes a holistic approach to me as an individual who is a mother of a college student, sister of an emotionally disabled brother, professor of nursing for 40 plus years, and, until recently, the daughter of an aging mother diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease (she recently passed and had at one time also been treated by Dr. Sosin for migraines). I was referred to him by both a gynecologist and female doctor of internal medicine. I thank God everyday for having followed through on those referrals. As a result,the quality of my life and the ones I love has greatly increased.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 888583
15/05/09 5 5 5 5 He's the only doctor, of many, to correctly diagnose my cluster headaches. He is thorough and always professional with an exceptional "bedside manner". His ability to put his patient at ease and entertain while gleaning medical information is unequalled. His course of treatment not only included pain management, but also had a curative effect and I have been almost "Cluster Free" for nearly a decade. Thank You Dr. Sosin. You are not just a remarkable physician, but a remarkable person as well. Forrest Pharaoh, Sunset Beach, CA  Respond
RID: 869062
23/04/09 5 3 5 5 I found Dr. Sosin in 1994 after getting minimal help for migraine headaches from other doctors. Finally, a doctor really listened, asked many questions, explained things in detail and even gave me a copy of his notes written during the appointment. Unbelievable huh? I had success in controlling the headaches right away. A couple of years later, he started treating me for ADD. I was 51 years old and ecstatic that someone FINALLY helped me understand my brain. My life became much less stressful as a result of his treatment and support. He helped me work through my husband’s death, my daughter’s divorce, work-related issues and so many other life challenges. He now feels like a friend with great medical expertise.  Respond
RID: 869040
23/04/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sosin has been my doctor for over 10 years, helping both me and my son. He is always courteous and thoughtful and has a vast understanding of the medications used to treat his field. He will spend as much time with you as you need, leaving you understanding what you are being treated for and feeling well cared for. I am grateful that I was able to find Dr. Sosin and his dedicated staff, Donna. If I hadn't, I would be a different person today.
RID: 868753
23/04/09 5 5 5 5 I've been a patient of Dr. Sosin for 16 years. He's enormously helpful in answering all my questions about migraine and in treating my migraines. He's always been available when I needed him. He's compassionate and professional, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 863367
16/04/09 5 4 5 5 I am recommending Dr. Sosin as a leader in his field. His skill as a clinician is superb. He tackles each issue with a zest to help me achieve my best possible me.  Respond
RID: 848583
31/03/09 5 5 5 5 Doctor Sosin is an excellent physician. He is patient and always concerned about you. He is great!
RID: 839069
23/03/09 5 4 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Sosin 26 years ago with hereditary, out-of-control migraines. Dr. S changed my life; my migraines have been under control for many years. He is the best doctor whom I have ever had in my life. It was a truly fortunate day that I became his patient.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 835332
19/03/09 5 3 5 5 A great Dr.I have been with Dr. Sosin since the 80's. Try working everyday with migraines and depression. He has saved my life several times. He listens well and responds to your problems. He will spend as much time with you as you need. He will work to find a solution to your problems. Best Dr., I could not live without him.  Respond
RID: 834743
18/03/09 5 3 5 5 I was happy to find Dr. Sosin in 1981 when I first moved here from the East Coast. I have been seeing him regularly ever since and would recommend him to anyone that I know that suffers with migraines, or lives with ADD.  Respond
RID: 831638
16/03/09 5 4 5 5 I have personally known Dr. David E. Sosin for more than 20 years. Through many years of difficulty and heartache due to a traumatic brain injury from a roll-over auto accident, one person alone has time and time again given professional advice (usually carried out by another physician because I was in another state) that has been, not just brilliant, but the exact insight and treatment needed to effectively address my medical situation. It's no mystery at all that over 30 years ago, when I was a young boy and my mother was in the hospital doctors all around her scratching their heads, this one talented, knowledgeable and gifted by God man had the courage and intuitive insight that saved my mother's life, who to this day (at 67) is happy, healthy and productive. Dr. David Sosin, a genious level physician, has suffered wrong for his right, yet has repeatedly set precedents other physicians now accept as fact. Thank you David Sosin... you are a good man, and you are loved. Jeff Apprill
Paid (or co-pay): $165
RID: 829468
14/03/09 5 4 5 5 I have greatfully been the patient of Dr, David Sosin for at least 20 years. Before meeting Dr Sosin my life was horrible as I was completely disabled by migrain headaches and I was in the hospital emergency room receiving pain shots and a 4 hr.stay in the hospital.I was is a very high management position at work and driving myself & staff crazy trying to stay focused on task. I shared this problem with Dr Sosin & he administered a battery of tests & I was diagonosed with ADD. Dr. David Sosin is the most knowledged, compasionate and professional Doctor I have ever met. He worked with many various medication combinations to relieve my disabiliting Migraine Headaches. He worked with various combinations to help control my ADD. My staff love him even though they have never met him. I believe he was instrumential in my establishing my own firm by controlling my ADD. He was my councel through the end of an abusive marriage ending in a nasty divorce. He is Great!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 665641
15/08/08 3 1 5 5 Dr. Sosin treated my migraines very aggresively with various medications when other physicians told me to just take Tylenol. I finally got relief from my debilitating headaches after being treated by Dr. Sosin. Only downfall - at least an hour wait in the waiting room.
RID: 605492
03/06/08 5 4 5 5 Dr David Sosin is an experienced diagnostian,and an expert in treating migraine headaches. I have known Dr Sosin for over 16 yrs and his expertise in bringing my migraines under control was expediant. He will teach you about headaches and how to abort them so they are no longer debilitating. He is an expert pharmacologist. He requires consistent treatment in order to target symptoms and contain them, while the patient learns about how to care for oneself. If you are consistent with your appointments and serious about learning how to treat your migraine headaches, Dr Sosin will help you to understand the etiology of your symptoms and how to feel better with very little continued suffering. I highly recommend Dr David Sosin.
Paid (or co-pay): $180
RID: 517325
18/02/08 5 4 5 5 I work in the medical field and have had the pleasure of having Dr Sosin as my doctor for the past three years. I know many physicians who are knowledgeable and many who are compassionate in how they care for their patients. Dr Sosin is one of the few MDs I know possessing both traits. He diagnosed my ADHD and has approached my care with professionalism, concern and above all effectiveness. In his waiting room I have encountered several patients who have raved about him; expressing many of the sentiments that I listed above. He is one of the few MDs that actually spends time with his patients. If you want an MD who will spend the time and effort to really try to help you, then I highly recommend Dr Sosin.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 480020
09/01/08 5 2 5 5 The best Dr. I have ever seen. He helped me so much I feel I owe my life to him. He spends alot of time with you and does not look at the clock to see when the hour is over. Some times you do wait in his office for an hour, but well worth it.He knew exactly what I needed in the first visit. Well worth your time and money.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user