Rate Dr. Sam Maywood

Dr. Sam Maywood's Ratings

I was info,fed in a accident in 2000 nearly loosing my leg. After 15 surgeries including skin graphs I ended up with severe nerve damage. Dr. Maywood & his staff tried every non narcotic they could think of to help before finally giving in & putting me on Oxy then eventually adding Fentanyl & before going into functional restoration program I was taking 160mg Oxy 3X a day & 1200mg fentanyl 4x a day. After graduating in 2009 I have been Drug free except for the one time I requested something for pain for my trip out of the country. They gave me a prescription that helped & since them I'm off meds again & living life not living in that drug haze fighting depression every day. Thanks Drs. Maywood & Matta. Unfortunatly Dr. Matta has since retired.

Submitted March 14, 2012 | flag

Maywood and Mata own and operate an FRP program. The old FRP programs where amazing. I think Maywoods program is a scam. He prescribes meds then asks for the insure comp to pay to detoxify you in his program. Then recommend you sign off medical care. Saving insures millions and you loss the chance for a normal life. Org FRP programs had a 30% suc rate for back injuries other shoulders neck etc... less than 10%. The programs have become less advanced and more like adult day care. Years ago fallow up research was key. Know you are a success if you complete the program? Maywood’s teach’s you to live with pain instead of repairing the problem. I have personally allowed Maywood to perform work on me the biggest mistake of my life. If you care about yourself your health or your loved one you will stay far away from this fraud.

Submitted Feb. 24, 2012 | flag

Maywood's is a nice guy but don't let him do any procedures on you. He left a lady all messed up after a pain procedure by "forgetting" to draw back on the needle before to putting the med's into her. She's brain damaged. At $ 1,966,354.00, He has a malpractice Judgment against his Ca. license by the Superior Court of Ca. I think this is the highest award in San Diego County for Malpractice. That’s not the point of mentioning the amount. This woman is severely brain damaged. In addition, only judgments over $30,000 are recorded on a doctor’s record. He was sued again for medical malpractice, in San Diego Ca but I don’t know the disposition of that case. http://www2.mbc.ca.gov/LicenseLookupSystem/PhysicianSurgeon/Lookup.aspx?licenseType=G&licenseNumber=65754 Citation Number: SAN DIEGO CO. SUPERIOR COURT Cause for Citation: GIC775112 Judgment Amount: $ 1,966,354.00 Date Citation Issued: October 3, 2003

Submitted Nov. 29, 2011 | flag

he promised to be aware of my potential drug addictions, and to monitor me closely. Met with him once. prescribed higher dose of medication than requested Was NEVER available even ,even in an emergency, to speak with directly.HORRIBLE

Submitted Sept. 23, 2011 | flag

Stay away from Dr. Maywood & his program! I & a lot of other people have been screwed over by Dr. Maywood's functional restoration program. Stay away from it. They get paid $40,000 to take you off of your pain medication & never give it back to you. This Dr. thinks he's GOD. He doesn't care about his patients. All he cares about is money. These patients are in pain & he ignores their pain for money. His program leaves you in agonizing pain. They also flare up your pain on purpose in the program to "help you learn to deal with pain". These patients are in pain & have flare ups all the time. Flaring them on purpose is wrong & unethical. Stay away from Dr. Maywood & his program!

Submitted Dec. 3, 2010 | flag

I have been seeing Dr. Maywood for about 5 years now and I have never had a complaint about him and neither has my WC insurance company, they never question his desitions. His bedside manners are great, he is very caring and has never treated me with any kind of pity. I've had a few surgeries done by Dr. Maywood and never had any complications, before every procedure I was explained what was going to happen made aware of the risks and he made sure I understood everything before continuing. His surgery staff were always very professional, very caring, always polite and always made sure I was comfortable and my pain was controlled. Unfortunatelly my injury did not get better, I was diagnosed with a very complicated case of RSDS and now he does his very best to keep me feeling comfortable. I went through his program and I really got alot out of it, I learned alot on how to start living with my pain. Dr. Maywood never did what I wanted but what as best for me and I'm greatful for that.

Submitted July 12, 2010 | flag

This doctor tried to force me to submit to use a drug the FDA has come out with a warning on (Botox). Refused to change oral drug treatment even after serious side affects. By his own admission he can not read CT scans. Refused to refer to a doctor who could read scans and better qualified to diagnose underlying problems causing pain. Refused to use an FDA approved drug that has 75+ year excellent safety record and is very effective in treating pain. Then intentionally lied in his reporting to the insurance carrier that the drug was ineffective and did not provide me with any relief. He even told me his whole intent was to make sure I had to pay for all my treatment and hoped it would bankrupt me. He also stated he would denie he ever made these comments. It should be noted he had a 1.9 million dollar malpractice levied against him in 2003 in San Diego Superior Court. This is just some of my complaints against this doctor

Submitted Oct. 21, 2008 | flag

Really enjoyed this doctor. Patients in the office all said he knows how to alleviate pain. I had nucleoplasty to reduce disc buldges three years ago. And had these years free of the excruciating pain they caused. Maywood has excellent clinical technique. He's added Dr. Mata to his practice from Stanford. Another kind, gentle physician.

Submitted Dec. 25, 2007 | flag