Rate Dr. Michael K. Jakobsen

Dr. Michael K. Jakobsen's Ratings

Dr. Michael Jakobsen is a great doctor (physician) and surgeon. I went to him for a deviated septum to get a second opinion. He quickly had me test for sleep apnea through a sleep study and I found out that I had been suffering from severe and obstructive sleep apnea. Without his caring, knowledgeable, and great skills as a physician I would have continued to suffer and get worse with a very underdiagnosed and harmful disorder which can cause lots of other diseases. Dr. Jakobsen is more, ethical, and has high integrity. He is highly capable and will uphold the high principles of medicine. He won't just do procedures or surgery that would just benefit him financially or otherwise and put the patient at greater risk of dangerous things.

I also was warned against getting surgery because of the danger of heart attack, stroke, clots, etc when I have sleep apnea and surgery in general with anesthesia.

I would highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2508746].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 21, 2014

Dr. Jakobsen & staff were all great!!! He diagnosed me with TMJ which was really a surprise to me for many reasons. His diagnosis was spot on. I asked for a recommendation for a trustworthy dentist, having had a bad experience with my last dentist. He sent me to Dr. Godino who is phenomenal & has had the same staff for 10 years. Thank you so much Dr. Jakobsen for your expertise. You are the best! I will always recommend you as the greatest ENT.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917706].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 6, 2014

I have found Dr. Jakobsen to be a thoughtful and caring physician. I have been to his office twice and have undergone a surgical procedure under his care. He communicates well and has always informed me of the issues pertaining to my condition and treatment. His staff has been great as well. I have all calls returned in a day. They are organized, professional and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917705].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 1, 2013

I would not recommend Dr. Jakobsen!! I made an appointment with him when I found a lump on the left side of my neck. He said it was nothing and prescribed antibiotics. I made a 2nd appt when I finished the medicine and the lump was still there and getting bigger. Dr. Jakobsen insisted it was nothing and said I didn't need to have a biopsy. The lump ended up being thyroid cancer, which had spread to my lymph nodes. I had to have a full thyroidectomy and the lymph nodes on the left side and center of my neck removed. Dr. Jakobsen is not a thorough doctor and has a terrible bedside manner. He should not be a doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917704].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 8, 2013

I find Dr. Jakobsen to be very intelligent, and he is a great communicator. Clara, his assistant, is another story. She has the personality of a snake, never smiles and is extremely abrupt. Office visits with Dr. Jakobsen would be much more pleasant with a personable assistant.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917703].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 11, 2012

Dr. Jakobsen tried to rush me into unnecessary surgery. When I told him I was going to get a second opinion he completely changed his story. What a crook. DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917702].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 27, 2011

Remember if something doesn't seem right about Dr. Jakobsen when you meet with him, listen to your instincts. Mother was diagnosed w/ a rare cancer. Dr. Jakobsen's steadfast treatment plan equated to a facial ampuation. That in itself wouldn't have been his fault, however 5 other opinions by specialist in this particular cancer countered strongly that Jakobsen's treatment plan would result in no cure, no palliative value, but only complications and misery for my mother. Since she was only covered by a HMO (Medicare w/ Advantage plus), Dr. Jakobsen thwarted every attempt for my mother to seek care from a physician outside of his medical group. We learned that instead of being an advocate for the patient, he was first and foremost an advocate for the $$ bottom line of his affiated medical group. He refused to read the opinions of the 5 other physcians and yet had the tenacity to cite in his letters that no other treament would yield results. This guy is bad news.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917701].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 14, 2011

I see alot of negative comments, but I've had nothing but great experiences with Dr J and Clara. My daughter received a broken nose during cheer, and Dr J was super sweet as was Clara and made her feel comfortable during the entire process. One year later, my son was diganosed with "mono" and Dr J explained everything related to mono very carefully. When I asked if he should have his tonsils removed, his answer was "no"... it would be too painful and not needed. I just called and left Clara a voice mail stating I needed a "note" so my son could resume his sports and she faxed it over to me literally within 10 minutes of leaving the voice mail. I understand people have problems with him and his staff, but, every time I have dealt with them, they have been extremely nice & helpful. Like anything in life, some people have good experiences, some people don't. You just need to decide for yourself. Thanks!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917700].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 16, 2011

I had a great expierence with Head and Neck Associates staff and Doctor. I came in to see him for history of severe sinus infections. In one visit I examined, had a CT scan done of my sinuses and recieved my results in 10 minutes which determined that I needed surgery. Dr. Jakobsen greated me with smile, nice, took his time with me while I was in the room and explained to me in detail what I would be going through during surgery and after surgery. That explains the wait to see him. It was worth the wait. During my post op period I experienced severe pain on and off which was to be expected. During that time I placed several calls to the office, sometimes more than once in one day and his assistant Clara was always nice and helpful. She totally understood that I was home by myself and no one to help or care for me. She always returned my phone call even after business hours. If I need future treatments I will definitely return.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917699].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2008

Dr. Jakobson's nurse Clara is supremely unhelpful and argumentative. I was given nasal spray which numbed my throat, nose and mouth for nearly 3 hours and no exam was done. When I asked why nothing was done and stated that I was uncomfortable for 3 hours, she said it's not uncomfortable at all and proceeded to argue with me. Hello? The other nurse told me I couldn't eat or drink with a numb throat because I risked choking and she said that wasn't true and I could have eaten without any problems. Sigh. Dr. Jakobsen does NOT have good bedside manner, comes across as arrogant, and makes snap judgements without actually reviewing your symptoms. He pressed extremely hard against my jaw to determine whether or not I had TMJ, and put me in excrutiating pain. It is now 5 days later, and I have not stopped taking migraine medicine. He was to inspect my vocal cords, but didn't feel like it and told me to see a dentist instead to see if I had TMJ. I told him I did that last week!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][917698].votes_count ]]