Rate Dr. P. Merrill White

Dr. P. Merrill White's Ratings

I have to agree with most people on here, Dr. White was very rude and hardly had any interest in what I had to say about my issue. A complete stick in the mud personality who sat on the black doctors stool and made me come to him. Get off your chair and examine your patients! Explain things to them about what could be going on or simply explain the x-ray to them. This is my first time with spine issues, so I have no idea what is going on. He is a typical specialist, in the room for about 5 min then they leave expecting you to know what is going on. My biggest issue was communication and lack of interest in the patient. You would assume they would ask questions as to, have you done anything in the past that could have caused this, or past history, but didn't seem to care about pertinent information. He definitely could learn a thing or two from Patch Adams!

Submitted July 12, 2014 | flag

If you want a yes man for a doctor don't go to Dr.White. If you want the top of his profession and the best in the Southeast, use him. He does not tolerate insincerity in a patient or one who does not want to recover. He is all business and successfully did a surgery that other surgeons would not even try to do because it was so complicated. If you want the best - go to Dr.White.

Submitted March 19, 2014 | flag

Dr. White would not let me talk. He kept interrupting me. He has the bedtside manner of a doorstop and was just rude and crude to me. Dr. White acted like my injury was my fault. I wouldn't bring my dead cat to see him!!!

Submitted March 12, 2014 | flag

The best recommendations about a surgeon come not from websites like these. When dealing with back surgery and other serious health issues, the smart consumer ought and should deploy a wide variety of inquiries. Initially, I too found Dr. White somewhat standoff-ish and it took some effort on my part to develop a satisfactory repertoire. However, it was the other inquiries -- with my pain clinic MD and staff, with my regular pharmacist, with a couple of RNs I know personally -- that proved most instructive. "...has 'good hands'..." "tackles tough cases..." "...once he gets going, he knows what to do..." "Gets the most from his OR staff." "Dr. White takes the time to sort everything out." At the end of the day, you want good medical results. Not entertainment. To get those results, I posit the patient has to make some effort also.

Submitted Dec. 22, 2013 | flag

Unprofessional and disinterested. Prescribed Mckenzie Physical Therapy at a facility owned by his practice (albeit he did say I didn't have to go there). Did not address the findings of my MRI. Had I not needed to get my MRI for another Doctor, I would not have known he ignored the recommendations of the Radiologist. I called his office in pain the next day. The nurse said he was out of the office, but she would tell him when he called and have him call me back. Two days later, no call.

Submitted July 1, 2013 | flag

From the moment I entered his office I felt like a third class citizen. I am sure he deals with a lot of w/c people seeking drugs or money but how dare him to think everyone is the same. He told me things like your pain and symptoms don't match...and when I described my pain he basically said sucks to be you. He is like that kid back in school that never got picked to be on anyone's team and now is seeking revenge. Long story story after suffering in his care for 1.5 years I saw a neurosurgeon and had surgery within 6 weeks. I am now pain free but it still haunts me. I feel like if I had let him operate on me I would be paralyzed now. STAY clear of this quack. Only good thing to say is that he was timely. And that stupid computer questionnaire you have to do at each visit....just shows how impersonal he is.

Submitted April 7, 2013 | flag

This Dr literally changed my life for the better. I have been with him now for close to 7 years for a variety of problems with my back. These were mostly inherited defects of the spine. After close to 5 years of conservative treatments that helped each time, we were forced into surgery due to the start of losing the function in my left leg. This man has a great gift and talent that he has developed over his career. You would definitely want him working on your back if it must happen. He will NOT do surgery unless there is no other recourse that will help. Highly recommended for those with serious issues!

Submitted Jan. 23, 2013 | flag

I have been extremely pleased with Dr. White and his staff. He has always been very courteous and knowledgeable with all my concerns. I would highly recommend Dr. White.

Submitted March 4, 2012 | flag

I had a herniated disc (L4-L5) and was searching for a top surgeon in the Knoxville area. My physical therapist told me that Dr. White is one of the best orthopedic surgeons who specializes in back surgery, in the South-East part of this country. In addition, I received outstanding recommendations about him from other physicians who know him for a very long time. Dr. White may not be a people's person, and if you are not a good candidate for surgery he will send you to one of the partners in his company for continuation of treatment. However, if you are good candidate for back surgery, you arrived to the right surgeon. He will choose the absolute most conservative surgery, and will not rush you into a surgery that you don't absolutely need. He will then use his decades of experience to do an exceptional surgical procedure and a very meticulous follow up after the surgery. His successful surgery of my back gave me back my quality of life. I recommend him without reservations.

Submitted Dec. 31, 2011 | flag

As a workmans comp Doctor I am 100% disappointed. He is condescending and uncaring. Cold and heartless. He focuses on textbook instead of the real issue. I can bet if I was not w/c and a cash customer things would have been different. I would NOT recommend him.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2011 | flag