Rate Dr. John C. Lipham

Dr. John C. Lipham's Ratings

I was diagnosed with Early Stage 3 Esophageal Cancer in November 2013. I had several pre-surgical complications including the use of a feeding tube needed after radiation which rendered my esophagus inert. However my March 2014 surgery was a complete success during which Dr. Lipham removed about 15% of my stomach and 70% of my esophagus. Nine months later a PET scan indicated that I am cancer-free. Dr. Lipham has a great staff including other doctors as well as his PA which are always available for questions and updates. If one gets a cancer like mine, one needs to find the very best surgeon available who at the same time cares greatly about any post-surgical complications that would degrade one's quality of life going forward. I give Dr. Lipham the highest recommendation possible!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2653722].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 15, 2014

Dr. Lipham saved my husband's life. He is alive and well today because of Dr Lipham's outstanding skills as a surgeon and physician. My husband was Stage 4 gastro-esophagel cancer. Dr Lipham took 60 percent of his stomach and 100 % of his esophagus and rebuilt an esophagus with the remaining stomach. He did this all laparoscopically.
He is an excellent surgeon with amazing patient care, bedside manner outstanding reputation and concern for his patient and family members. His staff and surgery team were attentive, considerate. efficient and kind. He was the miracle we prayed had for. My husband is now past the three year point in recovery. Thank you, Dr Lipham.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2653276].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 15, 2014

Great surgeon but horribly run office. Scheduler is never available and then calls to tell you when your appointments will be, no working with work or family conflict. I waited 2 hours past my appointment time to be seen by Dr Lipham and the staff is not concerned. Go to the other USC surgeons for anything that is not Lipham's specialty. He has limited time at the Keck location, making it even more difficult to see him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2530982].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 10, 2014

I suffered severe problems immediately after eating post reflux surgery. This doctor not only did not acknowledge or advise about the problem, he ignored it, did not treat it and made me suffer for many months. He and one of his nurses were very rude and he refused to order the tests for the problem I was having. Not only that, he did not inform me of a torn diaphragm during surgery even after I had severe breathing problems afterward. I do not recommend this surgeon as he does not fix problems his surgery caused.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924789].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 1, 2013

Amazing surgeon! Took out my esophageal cancer with little incisions. Out of the hospital in 6 days. Great bedside manner. Truly cares about his patients. Saved my life!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924788].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2011

After seven years of Nexium to manage severe GERD and Barret's esophagus and still suffering, my wife visited Dr. Lipham, who performed a laproscopic fundoplication. She no longer has any symptoms, and takes no medication for Reflux. She later had Barret's ablation to remove the remaining Barret's disease, from which she returned to normal activit in about three days. Every aspect of her care by Dr. Lipham and his staff at U.S.C. has been excellent. We greatly appreciate the quality of life returned to my wife by Dr. Lipham and his team, and highly recomend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924787].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 23, 2011

I had a very rare condition resulting in major surgery. Dr. Lipham was very down-to-earth, caring and took the time to answer any questions. I cannot believe, considering the extent of the surgery, how small the incisions are. All done Laparoscopically...absolutely amazing. This doctor is the best and I highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924786].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 30, 2009

Great surgeon!!! I had esophageal cancer that Dr Lipham operated on me for 5 years ago. He is caring, compasionate and has a great bedside manner. He is the highest rated surgeon in Southern California for Esophageal problems. He is the best!!!!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924785].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 15, 2009

Outstanding!! Dr Lipham diagnosed and treated me for achalasia. I am now eating normally after 3 years of other doctors doing nothing. He is terrific. I would rec him to anyone with esophageal problems.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924784].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2009

Finally, a doctor that listens and spends time with the patients. He is the most caring surgeon. He operated on me for severe reflux and barretts esophagus. I no longer have heartburn and my Barretts has gone away. I would highly reccomend him for anyone with esophageal or stomach problems!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][924783].votes_count ]]