Rate Dr. Kevin V. Hackshaw

Dr. Kevin V. Hackshaw's Ratings

I waited six months for a first appointment. When I finally got one, he ran no tests, just presumed my previous diagnosis of fibromyalgia and prescribed me with a medication, Gabapentin. On my follow-up visit, he ignored that I wasn't feeling any better on the medication. When I told him I was having an adverse reaction, he told me I needed to take more of it. He answered none of my other questions either. His demeanor was hurried and unfriendly - I felt like he wasn't listening to me, and that he was only peddling Gabapentin. I didn't go back and I'm still suffering, worse than ever, although my adverse reaction is gone now that I'm off the medication he prescribed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2433971].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 22, 2014

If you have or think you have Fibromyalgia FMA I would strongly not recommend this doctor. After only two appointments he thought I should be markedly improved, which I was not. He kept poor records on what he had prescribed and prescribed the same medication twice. I had a reaction the first time. He finally told me at only the second appointment that as I was not better I must be depressed, which I was definitely not. I have a joy of life and living..even my family and friends were horrified by his diagnosis and callous manner. if you think you have FMS, find a doctor who specialized in it and CFIDS and who is caring and up to date on the condition/syndrome.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933692].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 25, 2013

The office is big and busy! There are several waiting areas and the office is well organized. The staff is pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. The doctor has a wonderful and calming 'bedside' manner. He is worth the wait.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933691].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 11, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Hackshaw for over 20 yrs. I saw him initially for pain after back surgery and discharge from the military. When I went to see him no one believed that fibromyalgia was even a disease exxcept for Kevin. He is knowledgable, helpful, and pretty laid back. He will not give you the worst outcome of your disease process, he kind of lets time do that. But he is there to help you overcome the symptoms, limitations and the pain of your disease and the consequences to your life. I truly cannot find a negative comment for his care even after 20 years. As a critical care nurse, he is one of the few doctors who has earned my respect and affection. He has a dry wit and a good sense of humor. however, he does expect his treatment plan to be followed. I believe that his philosophy ranges along the lines of "I will do my job as your doctor, but you need to follow the plan of care." I would readily recommend him to anyone needing a rheumatologist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933690].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 6, 2012

I hate to tell the world how wonderful Dr Hackshaw is...that will make it harder to get into this very popular doctor. He has been my doctor for 7 years. He is the most compassionate, wise, smart and kind doctor that I have ever been to. The world needs many doctors like him...a true physician..a gifted healer. He is a great asset to the afflicted. I am so happy that I found him. I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia for 35 years by other doctors. He diagnosed my Dercum's disease which is fibromyalgia with lumps!!! He changed my life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933689].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 15, 2010

I've been seeing Dr. Hackshaw for 8 years and he's the best doctor I've ever seen. He was the first doctor to tell me that my fibromyalgia was real and to help me find a treatment plan. He is an expert in his field and treats me with sincere respect and care. I hadn't seen him in a few years, and he still remembered me! He is incredibly well-versed in fibromyalgia (my chief problem) and worked with me to find solutions that would fit my lifestyle, budget, etc. I would recommend him to anyone and would travel to visit him. It can be hard to get into see him, but that is only a testament to how popular he is. He sees patients at OSU East as well as the main hospital, and you can get in quicker at the OSU East office. I feel so lucky to have found him! If you have fibromyalgia, you must see him!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933688].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 3, 2010

I waited over three months to see a specialist due to extreme autoimmune issues. I had daily fevers, rashes, shingles, serious throat problems, the list goes on and on. I was in this doctors office for five minutes and was "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia, without even an examination. When I asked how they came to that conclusion and why all of my symptoms but one or two were not fibromyalgia I was treated rudely. The doctor tried to force me to take antidepressants and told me to ignore the fact that I didn't have most of the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Hackshaw also claimed that my shingles and fevers would go away if I took Celebrex which is a total farce. Turns out I have celiac disease and thank god I had a good doctor and wasn't relying on Hackshaw because I would be taking unneccessary medication that doesn't help my condition. This doctor is pathetic.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933687].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 28, 2009

I was really not happy with this practice. I was a patient with this practice for over 2 years. They are really hard to get an appointment with, also the dr's on staff miss some very important hints of what is really wrong with you. I found that the knowledge was okay and they gave me one diagnoses however, they told me one thing and my family dr advised me otherwise. I will never return to this practice due to the lack of knowledge of the dr's and the unwillingness to help me through the difficult diagnoses. This practice also never ran any blood work on me. Which really surprised me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933686].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 27, 2009

Specialist in Fibromyalgia, takes detailed history and listens well, explains treatment = takes time to really know his patient.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933685].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 20, 2008

Dr Hackshaw is caring and knows his field weel, unfortunately he is affiliated with Ohio State University Medical Center which is just too big and impersonal. I have ben a patient there for over 10 years and have never been greeted like a known patient. I never know if Dr Hackshaw gets my messages, getting an appt is almost impossible.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][933684].votes_count ]]