Dr. J. Dean Cole

Grad. Year: 1981

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 25/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. J. Dean Cole has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: does he have an office?    Email me    Answer it
Q: does he do spinal surgery?    Email me    Answer it
Q: does he do roataor cup durgery?    Email me    Answer it

Dr. J. Dean Cole
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

21/04/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.5
RID: 5323953
02/04/14 5 4 5 5 After reading a couple of reviews, I was concerned about the wait times and whether the doctor would talk to me in lay terms. Since I travel 60 minutes for the appointments, I always expect to be there for 2-3 hours. Thankfully, the appointments have averaged only 2 hours. The staff is very pleasant and helpful and Dr. Cole spends as much time with me as I need to fully understand his diagnosis and the treatment plan. I have had 2 surgeries so far and have another planned for this summer. Dr. Cole is a very kind and caring person who is interested in helping others improve their lives. I am very pleased that Dr. Cole has been able to improve my lifestyle with his brilliance and surgical skill. I would recommend this doctor for anyone that needs specialized orthopedic trauma care.
Insurance: HealthFirst
RID: 3597489
06/11/13 1 1 1 3 I saw the PA from Dr. Cole's office at Florida Hospital South, and was diagnosed with a torn ACL and possible torn PCL and was sent home in a knee immobilizer. I was in a lot of pain and was having difficulty getting an MRI scheduled through my insurance and was in intolerable pain. I return to the ER on Saturday and saw another of one of Cole's PAs and received some of the worst treatment I have ever received from any doctor. I was treated as a waste of their time and told that having a blown knee was no big deal and could be repaired whenever and just deal with it. The following Monday, we called the office when they opened and explained the situation, the staff was extremely rude and was unwilling to obtain the hospital records from their own group at Fl hospital. Furthermore, I was told it would take a couple of weeks to get an appointment for an MRI. I called Dr. Reuss' group at Orlando Ortho and received prompt and courteous care. Don't waste your time with poor service.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 2915065
16/10/13 1 1 1 5 It is very unfortunate that this practice is so poorly managed, because the surgery is great. I would NOT go back. I had problems with staff communication from day one--never had a phone call returned. I could accept that, but was dismissed when I had a life threatening allergic reaction by the staff. They are also misleading about the costs--read the fine print--you are likely to be handed an out of network bill over a year later. STAY CLEAR FROM THIS GROUP!!!!!!
RID: 2895302
04/10/13 5 5 5 5 DR. COLE IS A MIRACLE WORKER! I broke my collar bone very badly in a car accident. After two sugeries with a local(Rockledge) Orthopaedic Doctor I had a painful non-union of my collar bone which pretty much rendered my left arm and shoulder useless. I could not lift my hand over my head. I went to Dr. Cole and he grafted bone from my knee to repair my collar bone and restore almost full motion to my arm and shoulder. Thanks to Dr. Cole I can fully use my left arm and shoulder today!  See Responses
RID: 2547205
31/01/13 1 1 2 2 My husband and I got back from this office today and let me inform anyone thinking about this doctor to be prepared for a long wait, INCREDIBLY rude staff and a hurried office visit. I could not believe how rude one of his nurses were and how little they cared for me as a person. As soon as I would start a sentence about my condition, the tall, blonde nurse would cut me off and hurry out. When I commented about seeing another doctor because they could not see me before 3 weeks, and I needed medication that was not going to make me doped up so I could care for my infant daughter, she said "Why would you do that?" When I asked if it was going to be a problem, she acted like the doctor may not even see me. Completely unprofessional staff.
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 2018885
13/04/12 5 5 5 5 DR. COLE IS THE BEST DOCTOR OF THE WORLD..I am so proud of him. Love you Doctor Cole, for giving me a second chance in normal living. Also, I wanted to drop you this note to thank you again for putting me back together. All factors considered, it couldn't have gone better and my quality of life has improved drastically, you have given me the greatest gift...... Love you Dr. Cole. ANNIE ARCHBOLD
RID: 1640223
21/11/11 1 2 1 3 The surgeon (Cole) did come by for a minute to mark my son’s leg, and explained that they may have to do a body cast. I expressed concern over our need to get back to Charlotte NC, our hometown and he said that the necessity of the body cast would depend on the severity of the break. He did not fully explain the procedure, he acted very busy. After surgery I was addressed by Dr. Cole and felt that he lacked a general concern over my child’s care. He was arrogant and acted as if I was lucky to have him caring for my child. He explained the procedure briefly and left. He spent maybe 45 seconds with me. Ironically, the wires the surgeon inserted into my child’s leg began to protrude and he went back to surgery on two weeks later to have them reinserted.
Insurance: Coventry
RID: 1515734
18/08/11 3 5 5 5 Dr Cole is a wonderful doctor! Look up his fan page on facebook! Dr J Dean Cole, Orthopedic God!! His patients love him and his previous employees respect and admire him!! He can fix just about anything... and hes a nice guy to boot!!
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1349484
28/01/11 5 4 5 5 Dr.Cole put me back together with alot of metal, plates and screws. I flipped my car into a trench and was ejected into a retention pond. I was in and out of consciousness but I was sent to a hospital where after 7hrs I was sent to FL Hosp. I woke up after the surgery in unbelievable pain but over the next week, and the 2 months of PT he made me comfortable. Years later when I was sent to pain managment doctors they would ask who did the surgery. When I said Dr.Cole they all knew, and respected him. I am 28yrs old,I will never have full mobility, or ever be without pain but I truly believe he saved me!  Respond
RID: 1026402
04/11/09 5 4 5 5 My husband needed both hips replaced. Dr. Cole was extremely thorough, and postponed the second hip surgery, because of other medical concerns. This addressed a medication problem which likely would have caused kidney failure. The operation was delayed 3 months, and the problem was corrected. My husband walks with NO PAIN. He also was not faced with unneeded complications. We cannot put into words how grateful we are.
RID: 996305
26/09/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Cole’s brilliant, a workaholic, & wants the best outcome for his patients. As long as there’s something more that can be done or tried, he’ll try. He’s a doctor, not God so he can’t know what he has to work w/ until he literally sees what’s inside your body (images from outside only provide so much info. & may not show all nuances of your particular body), how your body will respond to what he does internally, your therapist's exact technique, how hard you’ll work at rehab, or if you’ll even follow his instructions or limitations for recovery & thus he can’t guarantee results even if routine surgery. This man’s phenomenal & cares not only about your care, treatment, quality of life, & healing, but also about the advancement of his specialty, always finding new ways to fix our bodies. To be such an intelligent & extremely hard working surgeon he also has a pleasant, caring, & friendly bedside manner. I’ve never been so impressed by a doctor.  Respond
RID: 990771
18/09/09 5 5 5 5 I was originally sent to a trauma center were the surgeon there could not help.He refered me to Dr. Cole. I am able to walk and run because of him. I can't say enough about the wonderful staff and him! Every other doctor who has seen his work from my x-ray is in complete amazement. Without him I would of been left in a walker at best...
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 984052
10/09/09 5 5 5 5 This man is BRILLIANT. My husband would not be able to walk without him. He was told by two doctors previous to Dr. Cole that they did not think he would keep his left leg it was crushed so bad, when we go to Florida Hospital and one of the PAs took a look at the xrays, he said "Dr. Cole can fix you right up". The confidence his staff has in him is great and that confidence passes to the patients. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Cole and his staff.
RID: 918604
21/06/09 5 5 5 5 I went to Dr. Cole for a 3rd opinion, after being told by 2 other very prominent drs in very reputable hospitals that they could not help me. The only thing they could do was remove the old prosthesis I already had and b/c of the condition of my brittle bones due to R/A, they would have no way of placing a new one, I would be trained to use a wheelchair from that day on. One of the doctors even said that the surgery to remove it, could be "catastrophic". My whole family was devastated. I was in my 40-s w/ 2 young children and a husband and I would not be able to walk again. That's when I met Dr. Cole. He looked at my films (no alarmed gestures in his face)and immediately gave us peace. He explained that he'd do the surgery in ; he would remove the old prostesis and 2 weeks later,he would go in and built a base for the new prosthesis.It was all done in 2 stages. He totally changed our lives. I was able to walk at both my children's weddings and am very active. His staff is great 2!
RID: 876744
03/05/09 1 1 1 1 This doctor did not help me at all. He is money hungry. After trying to fix my leg which I broke in three places, he ended up fusioning it and now I cannot walk very well. I limp badly. he told me a lot of lies. I have constant pain and when I went back to see him about it he refused to see me since I did not have another $200 to give me immediately. He is a ****. I would never use him again. Nor would I recommed him to anyone.
Paid (or co-pay): $50000
RID: 846852
30/03/09 4 4 5 5 Superior physician in every way. My son had a motorcycle accident and broke the majority bones in his foot. The trauma was severe and he would have lost his foot were it not for the expertise of Dr. Cole. Thank you.  Respond
RID: 833343
17/03/09 1 1 1 1 Dr Cole treated my hand for surgery that he claimed was a "routine surgery". However, I've had 2 failed surgeries and he has left me high and dry. I would definitely NOT recommend this doctor for any surgery. I have heard this story from other patients, and you should beware of him.
Insurance: Humana
Paid (or co-pay): $500
RID: 759806
09/01/09 5 5 5 5 Because of Dr.Cole,I have my leg and able to walk. I just can't thank him enough. He is a god send. So if you know anyone who is in need of a good doctor, don't wait get Dr.Cole.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 688935
22/09/08 5 5 5 5 Dr Cole an his Staff are undoutably the most Professional that I have encountered. His professional knowledge in my opinion is second to none! My surgeries were a challenge because of diabetes and neuropathy in both feet as well as having both ankles fused. I can't run but awlk very well !! Joseph Long
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 679325
04/09/08 5 5 5 5 He is an exellent,caring,knowledgeable surgeon.He is the BEST.If was not for him I would not be walking today.Thank you DR.Cole.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 644728
22/07/08 5 5 5 5 If you have any complex type of bone work, this is the guy. I had an injury that no other doctor would touch and he fixed me up good as new.
RID: 559278
07/04/08 5 5 5 5 unbelievible doctor, I am a professional steer wrestler and destroyed my shoulder that a catch 600 pound steers with at 30 miles an hour off a horse and was reffered to hime by another surgeon that stated he was the only surgeon in florida he recommended for my surgery 6 months after my surgery I was back on the rodeo trail and still am this was in 1998 that the injury occured.
* - Rating left by a registered user