Dr. Anna Wachtel

Grad. Year: 1984

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 13/03/14    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.9 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. Anna Wachtel has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Psychiatrist-related: mental illness, depression, schizophrenia, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, substance abuse disorders, depression medication, pharmacological treatment, prescription drugs
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5485086
19/05/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Wachtel was integral to my turnaround from years of alcohol and substance abuse. She's worked with me in getting my life back in order. With the right combination of medications and goal oriented talk therapy, I've been sober and (mostly) anxiety free for about 4 months. I am very grateful for her understanding and professionalism and would highly recommend her.
RID: 5269391
16/03/14 5 4 5 5 I have been seeing Dr.Wachtel for almost two years now and I can't imagine my life without her. She provides the honesty and clarity I really needed in my life and she is very skilled in her field. I highly recommend her. She will tell you the truth and help you in any way she can and I think that anyone who had a negative experience with her just wasn't ready to hear the truth or change. To be honest, I was that way at the beginning and she was very understanding of where I was coming from and it quickly became clear that she had the best intentions for me. Truly a warm, wonderful doctor who I am so happy to have in my life.
Insurance: CIGNA
Paid (or co-pay): $50
RID: 5233040

10/03/14 3 2 3 4 I did not have a great experience with Dr. Anna Watchel. The only reason I kept seeing her for as long as I did, was because I was desperate to feel better and she took insurance. From my first visit, she is very sweet but had a bad bedside manner. She is not a good listener! I had taken myself off a medication that my previous doctor prescribed for me because of the horrible side effects I was experiencing. That was a mistake and hence why I was seeking professional help this time! I told her I made a mistake but she still was very accusatory stating that someone in the healthcare field should know better! I do believe that she is very smart and knows her stuff but her ego is seriously inflated. She once forgot we had an appointment after I had shown up and waited 30 minutes for her. She was very apologetic after she realized her mistake and I had to reschedule for another day. I do not recommend Dr. Watchel.
RID: 3611294
21/11/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Wachtel helped me during a very difficult time. She always made time to see me as needed. She prescribed the right medication to ease my depression, anxiety as well as my insomnia. She was always open and honest when I had questions or concerns about my medication. She specializes in psychiatry but is also an internationalist so she has a deep understanding of the connection between mental health and the rest of the body. I have recently moved out of NYC and hope to find a doctor as good as her in my new city!
Paid (or co-pay): $55
Respond

16/02/13 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1495186
25/07/11 5 5 5 5 I started seeing Dr. Wachtel just over three months ago for bipolar depression and addiction issues. I had never seen a psychiatrist before and was nervous about trying medication for my mood swings for the first time. I have found Dr. Wachtel to be friendly, professional and attentive to my needs. She prescribed a very helpful medication and adjusted it to a proper dosage over the course of several weeks. It has done wonders to stabilize my mood. Now, I'm feeling so much better, and I have been sober for three months. I'm very grateful for her help, and I would highly recommend her.
RID: 1473189
26/06/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Wachtel is excellent with medication. Her discussion with me helped me to feel better.

RID: 1393374
21/03/11 5 4 5 5 I have been seeing Dr. Wachtel for approx. 2 years now. Before meeting her and being properly treated (with Cymbalta, for General Anxiety Disorder), I was always feeling dreadful and worried about the simplest things. I always doubted my efforts and feelings. Second guessing why something happened and what I did wrong to cause whatever was bothering me. Now, I am 100% better. I am happy, healthy and a productive adult (I finally moved out of my parent's home about a year ago!) Dr. Wachtel is a friend to me. She shows natural concern, care and professionalism. She expresses her thoughts and feelings about whatever your discuss with her. One thing though; you need to approach her with the decision in your head that you need and want to get better. As a Dr, she will prescribe the meds to "level set" your brain chemistry and from there you can discuss on how to handle the issues you are facing and dealing with your life. She has provided me with full disclosure on the how and what.
RID: 1357195

07/02/11 1 2 2 1 I went to her monthly for 45 minutes of therapy and medication management for depression. She never remembered anything about me session to session, even with my chart in front of her, and more than once spoke about herself more than me during the visit. She also answered a call from another patient during my visit. I stopped seeing her when my job changed and she was no longer convenient but she was not worth the aggravation.  Respond
RID: 1233697
21/08/10 4 4 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Wachtel for four years, mainly for depression. Since she is a medical doctor, she was able to prescribe appropriate medications, which, after a trial and error period, worked just fine. Through medication and discussions, she was able to help me. I am in a good place now and am grateful to Dr. Wachtel for her expertise.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1193032
20/06/10 5 5 5 5 Before coming to Dr. Wachtel I had a number of issues that interfered with my job and relationships. Since seeing Dr. Wachtel, she put me on new medications that work for me. I got rid of bad habits, got into a new relationship, am doing well at work and feel much better.  Respond
RID: 1122233
07/03/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Wachtel is an excellent Psychiatrist. I have been seeing her now for a few years and she helped me tremendously. Her knowledge in medicine is excellent. She listens and cares about the person, asks questions and is very patient. She turned my life around.  Respond

17/01/10 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1042225
24/11/09 5 4 4 5 I have been seeing her for over 4 years with no problems. I have depression and have been having problems keeping it under control. Dr Wachtel has been patient in listening to my concerns and has worked to get it under control by either changing or adding meds. She has answered all my questions fully and I walk out of her office knowing my questions have been answered. My first visit consisted of standard questions and a 2nd appt was made in order to prescribe medications (standard practice for many drs). You do have to cancel 48 before the appt (again standard for many drs), and she will call if you miss your appt (times with the call vary though).
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 1018542

26/10/09 1 1 2 2 AVOID. She put my on seroquel which was FAR too strong, and insisted that I continue with it even though I could no longer function when I took it. She charged me $40 a visit, but when I called my insurance to verify she should have only charged me $10. She was perpetually late for every visit. Her "talk therapy" was infuriatingly unhelpful.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1002574

05/10/09 1 2 1 2 Did not like this doctor. She is OVERLY concerned with getting paid (more so than anything else). The only things she helped me with is stressing how important it is to make sure my insurance works, make sure I bring my copay in cash and only cash, and to cancel every appt. 48 hrs. in advance so she has time to book another person if necessary. Other than that, she would ask me the same questions over and over. She has no secretary so she is hard to get in touch with. She will also yell at you if you are late (10 minutes late). She also yelled at me for being 7 minutes early to a different appt. She prescribed me medication which I didn't take, said she would call to check up on me, but never did. However, as soon as I was 10 minutes into my next appt. (which I had forgotten about and didn't show), she made sure to call me to tell me I was going to be charged for said appt. Lastly, her cell phone kept ringing during our appts. and she took every call. Very unprofessional. Stay away.
RID: 956563
06/08/09 3 5 4 5 I came into Dr. Wachtels office in early April being overly depressed with two recent deaths in my family. She gave me medication that worked wonders. I must say she is quite knowledgeable about prescriptions. On the flip side there are a few things that made me decide to change. She likes to "fix" one problem before she moves on to another. I have been suffering from ADD for a very long time and it has put a huge strain on my life and she refused to give me any medication for this until my depression "went away". Twice, on two separate occasions, she made comments about my appearance as well as being ten minutes late (I took two trains and a bus, it wasnt my fault) which ended up turning to a lecture that made me feel awful for the rest of the day. I decided to change, I can not risk having my feelings hurt by someone who is supposed to help me in such a fragile and vulnerable state. If you do not mind this, then go for her.
RID: 940873
20/07/09 5 4 5 5 I've been to a few other psychiatrists over the years and Dr. Wachtel was the first to actually help me with the right combination of medications complemented with talk therapy. Her knowlege of meds is impressive and she has been nothing but kind, caring, and responsive. I came to her a depressed and anxious wreck and I truly believe she saved my life. I should also add that it can be very hard to find a good psychiatrist, but it's even harder to find a good one who also takes insurance, like Dr. Wachtel.
Insurance: United Healthcare
Respond

08/04/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 824107
10/03/09 5 4 5 5 This Doctor has helped me tremendously. I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and she has prescribed medication that has lifted the cloud from my life. I see her once a month so she can see how I am doing on these particlar drugs.She encourages me to call at anytime if I am having any sort of discomfort or fears about the meds, She is thoughtful, caring wise and very human. I found the best doctor for me. M freelancers insurance  Respond
RID: 815899
05/03/09 5 5 5 5 I've been a patient of Dr. Wachtel's since 2003. I was dissatisfied with 2 former doctors I had been seeing. They prescribed medication and then wanted nothing to do with you. There is no happy pill for depression and in order to find the right medication, there's a lot of trial and error. I was at that point of no return when I made my first appointment with Dr. Wachtel - frightened to go on living the way that I felt. She was my savior and my lifeline and very easy to talk to. She's not the type of doctor who dispenses prescriptions indiscriminately; yet she's up on all the latest meds. I was on medication and she added another medication to enhance its effects, and it felt as though the weight of the world was lifted from my shoulders. As far giving 24 hour notice to cancel appointments, I've been to a few psychiatrists and this is standard procedure.
RID: 772010
24/01/09 2 2 4 4 Competent doctor, but perpetually late, and generally disorganized. Pushes pills without much sympathy for side effects. Brings her dog to office despite patients ( disclosed ) allergies.
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 588580
12/05/08 5 4 5 5 I loved Dr.wachtel. I went to feeling terrible and feeling like i wanted to die to feeling like i was the star of the world. I reccomend her completly. She if very nice,kind, and understanding. Again i reccomend her completly .  Respond
RID: 505305
05/02/08 1 1 1 1 She is a know it all. Will not prescribe xanax .Acts like everyone is a drug addict and beneath her. Not recommended.  Respond
RID: 479590
09/01/08 1 3 1 2 Not a good experience. Insisted on discussing family members who had absolutely nothing to do with my current state of mind and then would forget what I told her and ask about them over and over again. Also I believe is in it only for the money. Said she requires 24 hours advance notice for a cancellation without fee but then says it's 48 hours when you try to cancel. She also limits duration of rx's to make sure you have to get back to her quickly. (Claims she doesn't trust you to use the medication wisely. And we're talking about Lunesta here.) Rather a foolish woman.
Insurance: HealthPartners
RID: 424846
05/10/07 1 2 1 1 AVIOD AT ALL COSTS!!! very unprofessional. was late for my 1st appt., then cut the visit short. Actually, she cut all the visits short... for the last appt i had scheduled, i had forgotten the day/time and left her a message around 10am asking her to call me back, b/c i didn't want to miss the appt. at 4:10 pm, she called me to tell me my appointment had been for 3:30 that day, and that she got my message, but didn't have time to call me back (its not my problem she's too cheap to hire a secretary) She then insisted i pay for the visit, and when i refused b/c i had left her a message she neglected to return, she began to YELL AT ME for being irresponsible. I suffer from depression and felt horrible after that convo, thinking theres something really wrong w/me b/c even my therapist hates me. i then realized shes the one with the problem. needles to say i will never go back there!  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user