Rate Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam

Dr. Suren Sanmugasunderam's Ratings

Wow. Given all the negative responses, I feel compelled to rate Dr. Shan and describe my experience. I have been seeing him quarterly now for many years and he has performed cataract surgery on both eyes, laser surgery, I've had a detached retina, and am currently being treated for glaucoma. I find him to be extremely knowledgeable, very descriptive in what to expect and very reassuring when I ask questions. He is not defensive when asked about his surgery success rate. All his treatment recommendations are made with explicit considerations of the risks and benefits of the procedure. The only thing a find irksome is the need for an annual referral from my GP - something to do with what he can bill the BC Med Plan.

Submitted June 18, 2014 | flag

I was unhappy with my visit to Dr. Sanmugasunderam, when I did not understand some words, he became very angry. very impatient, rude, with poor communication skills.

Submitted June 10, 2014 | flag

Submitted March 13, 2014 | flag

Out of all the doctors I have ever seen, Dr. Shan is the one who has treated me the worst. I started losing my vision a few days ago, and my optometrist referred me to Dr. Shan as an emergency case. I was scared when I arrived at my appointment due to my sudden loss of vision, and I had many questions that I wanted to ask. Dr. Shan very quickly became impatient, laughed at some of my questions, and told me that my problem was insignificant compared to other cases he had seen. When he stated that, even with the medication I had been prescribed, I might not recover my vision until three months from now, I became a bit emotional. At that point Dr. Shan said, in these exact words, "What do you want me to do? The world won't stop just because you lost some of your vision." After several similar comments I told him as politely as I could that, if possible, I would prefer to see a different doctor for my follow-up appointment, to which he replied, "Great! I would be happy to get rid of you."

Submitted March 1, 2014 | flag

Sorry to have to say after posting a positive comment a few years ago, I feel compelled to post this comment after experiencing an operation he performed on my eye lid that turned out very badly to the point I had to have it corrected by a plastic surgeon. No post op. instructions. I had excess bleeding during the surgery, (I had been taking daily low dose ASA). After surgery I had terrible discomfort 24-7 due to so much scar tissue left. I'd wake up during the night with the eye open and bone dry as he raised the lid far higher than he should have.Thank God I found a great surgeon who gave me amazing results and immediate relief. He realized the mess I was left with appearance wise and the irritation I was experiencing and slotted me in early to correct this surgery that had gone wrong. No confidence and have since found a specialist that I feel is more skilled.

Submitted Jan. 11, 2014 | flag

I've had to see Dr. Shan on a few occasions, he has been really great about squeezing me into his week at the last minute. If he's running early, and I show up up early for my appointment - he has taken me earlier, limiting the time I have to pay for parking. :) I find him to be friendly, calming, he listens to my concerns and is really approachable.

Submitted Dec. 12, 2013 | flag

I'm very surprised by the negative comments. He is by far the BEST opthamologist I have ever been too. I am a 31 year old woman seeing many doctors since I was a baby due to inherited cataracts. I was told by all of these doctors that my 20/50 vision (with glasses) was the best I would ever have. When my former doctor retired, thank goodness I was referred to Dr. Shan, who, on my first visit, explained in detail everything that was going on with my eyes, my surgical options and his realistic outlook. After two surgeries, I now have 20/30 vision without contacts or glasses and feel like a normal person. After the first surgery, I was very freaked out at the loss of fluid in one eye and called him AT HOME on a saturday night at 10pm and he was patient and sweet and reassured me this was normal but nonetheless would meet me the next morning at 8am on his day off at the office, (with his young daughter in tow). Very sweet, intelligent man.

Submitted May 14, 2013 | flag

After reading some of the negative reviews on here before seeing Dr. Shan, I was a little worried about what to expect. I can honestly say I'm shocked at the negative comments. Dr. Shan was courteous, knowledgeable, answered all my questions and explained in detail all the tests and procedures that were going to be done. I found him to be very friendly and sensitive to my condition. The staff was also very professional and courteous. The most punctual doctor I've ever been to.

Submitted Oct. 2, 2012 | flag

Definitely a disappointment after Dr. Beattie retired. No patience, no listening skills either.

Submitted Sept. 24, 2012 | flag

I have gone to Dr. Sanmugasunderam every 3 or 4 months for a number of years. My research for the best led me to him. He has my confidence. He answers any questions I have. He's always courteous. I keep my conversation brief and pertaining to my condition. I've always found him friendly and very professional. My wife's family has a history related to an eye condition and she visited him for a checkup. He was thorough to the point of explaining the condition ,trials taking place in relation to the condition, helpful things to do and avoid etc. My wife was very impressed with his knowledge and manner.I come from Vancouver Island to see him and will continue to do so.

Submitted May 22, 2012 | flag