You may also like

Rate Dr. Teresa P. Avants

Dr. Teresa P. Avants's Ratings

This practice is AWFUL!!! Seriously the WORST EVER. The staff is as disrespectful as they come. I originally went to this doctor because of her positive reviews online. I decided to commute because I wanted "the best" for my first pregnancy. Her waits were horrendous. .. and she was very quick (in and out) after my third visit. By then, I felt invested and decided to stay. I ended up being induced because of high blood pressure. Everything was going okay, and I was finally dilated enough to get an epidural, and had a really bad reaction. It became an emergency situation. Everything seemed stabilized, when I was forced to get an emergency c-section. I decided to switch drs. I went in for my 6 week check up and was fine, so I decided to switch doctors. All throughout my pregnancy, I asked for how much delivery costs would be. I understand that I had a c-section, but all the sudden I was tacked on with fees from her staff. I called, and no one could explain any reasoning behind the rate. I ended up fighting with insurance... ending up paying the amount (even though I had two insurances, and should have had literally NOTHING out of pocket.)

The nightmare continued when they had already scheduled my yearly, so when it came to the day; I cancelled. I decided I would not go to her for my next pregnancy or for any reason. So I didn't go.... But TWO YEARS LATER... yes, you read that right.. 2 YEARS LATER I received a bill for over $300 for a yearly visit. The visit, I am sure that I didn't attend. I immediately called their billing department and got the same response over and over... that the girl worked like 4 hours a week (not consistent times either). I explained that I was pretty sure that I didn't attend the appointment.. and they said they had my weight recorded, "so I must have been there." Pretty sure they could have had my weight from the 6 week visit.. There were no labs or anything else. After countless conversations with them, I said that they needed to take it up with my insurance. My insurance would not pay (for the visit I never went to) because of timely filing. No one was compassionate or understanding. The staff sent me threatening mail and were extremely (and continuoulsy rude) on the phone. Now (when I was supposed to be waiting to hear what they found out from my insurance) they have sent the bill to collections. I a heavily debating on getting a lawyer just to show this business, this is not how patients (or people in general) should be treated.
I think Dr. Avants may have been a good doctor at some point in history, but she has become so busy and doesn't care about how her staff carries on. She is not worth this type of treatment.. STAY CLEAR!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2798897].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

I would never recommend her to anyone unless they wanted a C-section...she finds any reason to induce people, so she can get a C-section and make more $$! She uses an OLD DINOSAUR ULTRASOUND MACHINE and says it's just as accurate as the newer ones!Technology changes! She's disrespectful infront of others and wants to cross off another delivery on her list. She will act like she will respect your wishes but doesn't happen. She lectured me like I was a child and kept trying to say my baby was going to die, have brain damage, or the chord will be wrapped around. I WOULDN'T SUGGEST GOING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS SUCH A NEGATIVE OUTLOOK ALREADY! Anything can happen...but don't tell a mom repeatedly that my baby wasn't going to make it or have problems! I had to go to higher authority to have a re-test of what she claimed was A RISK! Wasn't a risk...it was her incompetence of measuring fluid. If you want respect and have a say in your health decisions and child's...go to a different OB.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989255].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 30, 2014

I am looking to change doctors. My first visit was almost a two hour wait and they cancelled my sencond visit twice. She seems that she has way too many patients in my opinion. She takes about 30 seconds in the room with you and doesn't give ANY meaningful information and asks very few questions. I left a message for her staff about something important and they never called me back. I would not recommend her to anyone even if she is nice.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989254].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 29, 2013

Hands down the best doctor in the area. Yes, she is often running behind, but that is because she is not in a rush while she's in the exam room with you. Staff is FABULOUS as well. They are always smiling and working hard to make things easier for the patient. I often had to bring my other kids with me and everyone, including Dr. Avants treated them like they were special. Delivery experiences were great as well. I think any experience you have depends on your attitude anyway. Go in with a good attitude and you will be pleasantly surprised every time.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][989253].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 19, 2012

DELIVERY: I believe Dr. Avants is scalpel happy. She always seemed to be "in surgery". She wanted to induce my labor a week before I was due. I thought this was just disgusting since I know induction increases the chance of a c-section. She admitted me to the hospital for induction. Most of my friends who went to her had the same experience. I believe she just wanted to cut my baby out because she thought she was going to be big. Doctors are fearful of lawsuits and they are quick to cut. Also, you get more money from the insurance company if you perform a c-section. I resent her for my c-section. FINANCIAL: Dr. Avants requests that you "prepay" for prenatal/delivery/postnatal services. When it takes SEVERAL months to get the money back that you are owed, I would say that it is insurance fraud.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989252].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2012

I wouldn't know if she is knowledgeable because none was shared with me. I had an ultra sound for fibroids and she didn't have the time to look over it with me. Told me to look on internet. Didn't answer any of my questions.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989251].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 9, 2012

Her office take a very long time to process documents and the doctor takes 2 hrs to see her patients. Its ridiculous also shes always in a hurry. She has too many patients and so busy all the time I feel she doesnt really pay the enough attention or time for her patients.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989250].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 23, 2012

My mom had an emergamcy c-section w her 4th and Dr. A was great. Her last one was premature due to premature rupture of membranes and was given a steriod shot to boost babys lungs, and dr. A held her off for as long as possible and the baby came out very healthy but had to stay in the NICU for a couple days. She is a wonderful lady amd genuinly cares and spends whatever time nevessary w her patients. I would one day like to become an OB/GYN and i look up to dr .a , her in office staff is very helpful and her nurse practitioner is very good too. She would also see my mom when Dr. A wasnt available and she also saw me once and it went well.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][989249].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Avants for 15 years and she is by far the best Doctor I have ever had. I had 2 high risk pregnancies and she took wonderful care of my babies, delivering them safely. I've had 2 serious issues with my own health and once again she came to my rescue. I spent three weeks in the hospital and I can tell you the nurses were on the ball with my care and I heard repeatedly from them how thorough Dr. Avants is with her patients' care. For a short time, due to insurance I had to go to a different GYN and let me tell you, it was horrible! I felt like something on an assembly line. I read the other comments and I realize that things can go wrong but you can't always blame the doctor. With my extensive experience with Dr. Avants I can honestly tell you that she cares so much for her patients and really does everything in her power to take care of you. I truly believe that without her I my have lost both of my babies and my own life as well. Thank you Dr. Avants!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][989248].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 29, 2011

Came to Dr. Avants with concern of leaking fluid which was not urine.She repeatedly said I has urinating in my pants. A few weeks later turns out I WAS leaking amniotic fluid due to ruptured membranes. She was rough during the exams and insensitive. She ended up going on vacation and I was followed by Dr. Gaio. Now she was awesome! I believe that Dr. Avants believed I didnt know what I was talking about due to being a first time mom at such a young age.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][989247].votes_count ]]