Rate Dr. Robert J. Zehr

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's Ratings

I am 59yrs old and developed osteoarthritis in my hips due to sports, work and very active life style. Jan 2011 I had my left hip replace in Ohio by a top orthopedic surgeon. At that time the minimally invasive posterior approach was being used. June of 2013 we moved full time to Ft. Myers Fl. Needing my right hip replaced I went about researching the minimally invasive anterior approach that has been gaining in popularity since my first THR in 2011. This is what brought me to Zehr Center for Orthopedics and Dr. Zehr.

I won't go on with what a lot have said because I found Dr Zehr and staff to be the best you can be also. Although I do have a unique opportunity to compare the 2 approaches by 2 different top notch surgeons.

I was skeptical about the claims being made about this different anterior approach because I did have a rough time with my first THR and after all you are replacing a hip, by no means minor surgery. In the end it all far surpassed my expectations. After surgery I was up in 4hrs with a walker and standing full weight on both legs talking to nurses at the nurse station in the middle of the floor. I spent a total of 28hrs in the hospital and I was using a cane when it was time to go. I could have walked out with the cane but hospital policy is wheelchair. I had my surgery on Nov 25th went off the cane 6 days after surgery and walked in unassisted to my follow up appointment Dec 4. It took 1 month with my left THR to get off the crutches or walker and months before I stopped using a cane.

Truly I don't know how it could have gone better. Yes it hurt and still does but the pain is different and easily managed. My leg strength is 10 times better than it was with previous THR. There is a vast difference in what muscles are damaged and time needed to get back to normal.

I could go on but will end this by saying Dr Zehr and staff are in a class of there own. The minimally invasive anterior approach lives up to and surpasses the hype and in my case I look to be back to normal activity in a month. There will still be pain and there will still be reduced flexibility, but there really is no comparison. At times sitting now I forget it was just done.

The biggest key to success with joint replacement beyond the surgeon is support at home. My wife has cried a couple of times with relief at the difference this time and our lives getting back to normal so easily and quickly. Thanks to Dr. Zehyr!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2643740].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2014

I broke my hip when I was 18. It healed but that was 23 years ago. Over the last 10 years the pain in my hip has gotten to the point of unbearable. By last fall I couldn't walk 30 feet without extreme pain and the use of a cane. I had been to 2 other doctors who both said I was too young and too overweight for hip surgery, it's hard not to be over weight when you can't walk.
I read an article about anterior approach hip surgery and then started to look for a doctor who had a lot of experience doing the procedure. I found Dr Zehr and was surprised how quickly I was able to get an appointment. I was very comfortable after meeting him and he scheduled surgery for several weeks later.
The hospital was very nice and my surgery and recovery went very well. The pain was less then I expected, actually there was little to no pain in my hip, the majority of the pain was caused by the nerves and muscles that get moved around during the operation, but with lots of ice bags and some pain medication, it was really no big deal. I wouldn't say that I'd look forward to getting another hip replacement but if I did have to, I wouldn't dread it like the first time. There is no other doctor that I would go to other then Dr Zehr and there is no other hospital that I would go to then Physicians Regional in Naples.
It's been 10 months and I am a brand new person. This past summer, only 4 months after my surgery, I started traveling again and went almost every state and most of Canada. My friends can't believe the difference and now I walk faster then everyone. If you need a hip replacement, go to Dr Zehr and get it done now.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2643712].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2014

Snce I volunteer at the hospital, in the past 8 yrs I have had many opportunities to observe the work of other ortho surgeons & the post op condition of their patients. For hip sand knees, Dr.Zehr is quite simply the best

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2638684].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 2, 2014

the experience was uneventful. Pleasure to deal with Dr. and entire staff. If I had to go through the procedure again, I would go back to Dr. Zehr without hesitation.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2605802].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2014

I had Knee Surgery in 2012. I suppose Dr Zehr did a technically competent joint replacement but his follow up and pain management techniques were sorely lacking . He did not drain the rapid build-up of fluid in the knee until it got critical, then it had turned into a gel and could not be drained. He would not prescribe a constant motion machine to keep the knee moving for whatever time I was in bed the first two weeks after surgery _ he does not believe in them and thinks that pateints become too dependent on them rather than the physical therapy. However, the first week I he only had a in-home therapist come in a couple of times. I tried to keep moving on my own but strongly believe the constant movement machine would have helped reduce the scar tissue that formed around the wound. It took me 5 months to recover from the surgery and get rid of most of the pain. I will choose a different doctor in the future

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2595655].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 27, 2014

Merci docteur Zehr je dois venir de loin (France) pour mon annuel chek... merci de votre patience, et de toujours avoir un sourire... touts les commentaires au dessous sont corrects... merci docteur

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2554308].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2014

I am a woman in my late sixties, suffering the effects of joint injuries from an automobile accident more than a decade ago. At this point, I have had three joint replacements with Dr. Zehr, and I would not have any other doctor. The results have been excellent; the care provided top-notch. A month ago, I had my left knee replaced (previously a hip replacement and my right knee replaced). The results have been truly amazing, from immediate post surgery capability to the rapid regaining of flexibility and range of motion. Altogether, I could not ask for better results - results that will allow me to continue an active and rich lifestyle.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2513031].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 25, 2014

I am 51 years old. I had been athletic my entire life, 4 years ago I started having hip and groin pain when I was walking. I thought that it was muscular in nature. Over the course of 4 years I was seen by 2 Chiropractors, a PT and a Massage Therapist. I live about 3.5 hours from the Zehr Center. The pain became intolerable so I finally went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon. A simple x-ray showed my left hip was completely lacking any cushion and I was grinding bone on bone. I had planned on having a posterior hip replacement but another surgeon had suggested checking out the anterior approach. I was fortunate to find Dr Zehr. His experience and surgical skills are second to none. I met with him and he explained my options. I decided on the anterior hip replacement. He then explained the procedure, from A to Z including expectations before during and after the procedure. I had my surgery on July 8th 2014. I arrived at the hospital at 6am and was taken in to be prepped. I awoke from surgery and was shocked to find out how good I felt. An hour after I awoke in recover I was given a walker and was able to walk to the bathroom unassisted. I stayed for the night. In the morning I was able to walk unassisted with the walker making laps around 3 different nursing stations. Dr Zehr saw me and told me I could lose the walker but to use the cane. He also allowed me to go home the next morning. 24 hours from start to finish I was walking unassisted out of the hospital neither needing the walker or the cane (during morning rounds Dr Zehr told me I could lose the cane). I actually carried both out of the hospital with me. 10 days later I saw Dr Zehr who told me I no longer needed to be monitored by a relative. I drove home 3.5 hours and was able to go back to the gym and use an elliptical machine for an hour at level 13. Again I have worked out my entire life, have great pain tolerance and am 51. Your results may not be exactly like mine but there were other patients of Dr Zehrs in my rehab sessions in the hospital in their 70ties who went home in the same time parameter as I did. Another interesting thing happened. Prior to the hip surgery I was always going to the Chiropractor for adjustments because my back would go out. After the surgery my hips are so perfectly aligned that I no longer have lower back pain since the surgery. If you are considering hip or knee replacement I highly recommend Dr. Zehr. He doesn't pull punches, tells you like it is and will tell you exactly what you can expect from your surgery. Again don't put it off. I am so happy that I went through with this surgery. For me it has restored me to be able to do 100% of the things I love to do pain free. Don't wait!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2512099].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 24, 2014

Dr. Zehr and his team of professionals provided excellent health care. I had a total hip replacement and it was a great success. Dr. Zehr used the anterior approach and I was up and walking without support within 10 days of the procedure. The experience was thoroughly positive from the first office visit through the post-surgical follow-ups.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1005112].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2013

Dr. Zehr met and exceeded all my expectations. I was up and walking with a new hip 4 hours after surgery and in PT in the hospital in another hour. I walked out of the hospital on a cane on day 3, stopped using the cane on day 6, was driving and back in the pool on day 9. I am still doing follow up PT for further strengthening. An excellent surgeon and staff and the Physician’s Regional Hospital on Pineridge was great. I can't say more. Anyone with hip pain should run (or walk/limp) to Dr. Zehrs's office so he and Julie and Karla will change your life. This new Direct Anterior procedure with a small 3-4 inch incision is the only way to have a hip replaced.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1005111].votes_count ]]