Rate Dr. E.A. O'Toole

Dr. E.A. O'Toole's Ratings

I saw him for a few months. He was not very helpful and prescribed medications every time I saw him. During my 3rd and last appointment he had started seeing my sister and he brought all the things my sister said about me (which were later proven untrue) into my sessions and called me some pretty rude names and he pretty well told me to get out of his office. His secretary told me I would have to find a new psychiatrist.

Submitted Dec. 3, 2013 | flag

After finally diagnosing my illness correctly, Dr. O'Toole was open and interested in discussing various treatments with me. He was never condescending and listened to my ideas and answered all of my questions. I have now been stable on medication for years and am very happy to have been referred to him by my GP. He is also quite an interesting gentleman.

Submitted July 19, 2013 | flag

This psychiatrist was the best thing that has ever happened in my life. He treated me with respect, listened, validated me and my thoughts, stayed with me for as long as he thought I needed him and then told me I didn't need to see him anymore. Because of him I completely turned my life around. I realize he doesn't take b.s. from anyone but I wanted him to be honest with me. He was, and I will be forever grateful. He expects people to take responsibility for turning things around with his help and this was exactly what I needed. The only person responsible for me is me. I just needed him to help me feel capable, gain my own insights, and to validate my own abilities.

Submitted July 18, 2013 | flag

I've heard horror stories about this man since I began seeing him in 2007, however he saved my life. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. He takes time to listen to me and follows my cues. If I want to talk about particular things, he will talk about them. If I don't have much to say, then we talk about other things instead. We laugh about stuff and have deep discussions at times. He takes a keen interest in my sketching and photography hobbies and always asks to see what I've done. The only thing I do NOT like is that sometimes he seems to be spacing out/closing his eyes. That does bother me. His staff is really nice. I especially like one of his secretaries as we have some things in common and chat whenever I go in. I'd recommend him, but you have to be willing to open up to him or he can't help you. If you sit there quietly and say nothing, then he's going to assume you don't want to talk. So talk and tell him why you're there and what's happening in your life each visit.

Submitted March 15, 2013 | flag

ive been going to dr. otoole for 15 years, i have depression and anxiety, he prescribed some meds, which in two weeks gave me the relief i needed for 20 years, i feel so much better, i find him informative and at times fumny.the secretaries can be abrupt if u miss an appointment,however over the years ive only had one time where i can to confront that situation. the house he uses for his practise needsssssssssssssssssssssss a rennovation, its like walking into a museum, its not bright and cheerful, considering his line of work with depression etc, i think it would be helpful to his patients. all in all i have a good reporire with dr otoole.

Submitted Oct. 15, 2012 | flag

ive been seeing this doctor for a long time, i was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and depression. the first few years we chatted alot, he also got me on medication that worked within a two week time frame, made my life much more functional. i am at the stage now where i only need to see him every 3 months for meds updates.his receptionist can be very pleasant unless u miss an appointment, then they are abrupt. the office does need a major over haul. anyone feeling sad or anxious notices their environment, i think he should seriously think about rennovating. however keep in mind u are going to him for him not decorating ideas. i like this man he has helped me alot.

Submitted March 13, 2012 | flag

Blunt and sometimes unwilling to make changes to necessary meds, cautious in med changes, makes some mistakes with medications. Abrupt, but will listen after I explain myself.

Submitted Aug. 2, 2011 | flag

He may be knowledgable but I gave him this score as he definately wasn't in my situation. I went to him as I thought I needed some help since I had gotten physically violent during a fight with my boyfriend at that time and it scared me how easily it went from verbal to physical since it had never happened before. My first appointment with him was 10 minutes in which he asked about my family history and such, then labelled me manic depressive and prescribed medication. I had severe reactions to this medication in the few doses I took so he prescribed another which I took for maybe a week before I left that boyfriend. Since that day I haven't had any issues and we are 8 years later. Not only am I not manic depressive but I also didn't require medication. I think it is likely that he could have diagnosed properly had he spoken to me for than 10 minutes. That would be easily resolved with the availability for longer appointments should the 10 minutes not be enough.

Submitted May 20, 2010 | flag

I don't NOT like him....he's funny. However, he hasn't helped me much...I don't feel comfy talking to him. (That could be me though!) I don't like that he won't re-prescribe me the only thing that can get me to sleep.....how do I beat depression if I can't sleep to feel better??? Me not sleeping is nothing new...it's been that way my whole entire life...I am almost 31..yet he won't prescribe me the only thing that helps me....meh..whatevs!

Submitted July 16, 2009 | flag

I've been going to dr o'toole for 8 years and he's always been very caring and compassionate to me. He's always on time and is actually very knowledgeable with modern meds and treatments. Actually he tells me about new meds and new studies that come out all the time. I had a major breakdown last fall and he helped me out so much, going above and beyond what he had to do. The girls in the office have been nothing but kind to me :) Keep in mind people, he's a psychiatrist not a psychologist.

Submitted April 6, 2009 | flag