Dr. Gregory Monkewich

Rate Dr. Gregory Monkewich

Dr. Gregory Monkewich's Ratings

I was dx with UC proctitis. I was sent to DR. Monkewich because I was planning to have a baby and I needed to know what medication was safe when trying to conceive. When I first called his office, the receptionist told me I would need another colonoscopy, and I advised her I just had one done and she said dr. Monkewich needs to see himself. She said she was going to mail me (she said she couldn't email them because sometimes attachments didn't work) the instructions for prep before my 2nd colonoscopy which were never mailed (I live out of town). Finally I asked her to fax the instructions to my GP office. When I got to Lions Gate for my 2nd colonscopy - dr. Monkewich couldn't understand why I was there. Obviously lack of communication somewhere. he didn't know why I was in for a 2nd colonoscopy when he had already seen the results - yet he still did it anyway. Then he told me to follow up with my GP and that was the last I've heard from him.

Submitted April 17, 2014 | flag

Colonoscopy 2014-01-24 - this was my 4th col. and 1st with Dr.Monkevich, previous 3 were done at UBC with Dr.Freeman (outstanding - he retired). I have difficulty "properly" rating Dr.M since i was completely and totally "knocked out" which i have never experienced (and neither did my husband with 2 diff. doctors at diff. clinics) - i have no idea what happened and Dr.M never came to let me know how the test went. I was told by the nurse to go and see my family doctor for the results - she handed me a piece of paper outlining of what i was not allow to do for the next 24 hrs and on it was scribbled "no polyps". (I had none in the past either but the doctor always told me so despite the fact that i was aware of what was happening during the procedure). So - i am not impressed with Dr.M and will insist on a different doctor and clinic next time. (My father died of colon cancer).

Submitted Jan. 30, 2014 | flag

No interest in the relationship between diet, exercise, and colitis. I was diagnosed with colitis 3 years before meeting Dr. Monkewich and so I had a clear understanding of my disease and the medicine needed to control flares. He refused to prescribe me what my previous GI (in another city) had prescribed and made me wait 8-10 weeks before performing a colonoscopy and prescribing me the same medicine I requested. No interest in previous GI's diagnosis. I was left dealing with a bad flare (blood, diarrhea, 15+ trips to the bathroom daily). I confronted him and he said, "are you the doctor or am I? would you like to treat yourself?" followed by "you need to understand you have a disease, you should go to a support group." He has the interpersonal skills of a used car salesman: arrogant, condescending, no empathy, zero listening skills. He prides himself on making his patients drink 2 (not 1 like other GI's) jugs of some terrible tasting liquid the night before colonoscopy. Masochist.

Submitted Sept. 20, 2013 | flag

Office phone is never answered always have to leave message and sit and wait for a return call. Dr. is very pleasant but is never on time it's usually 1 hr plus after you scheduled appt. before seeing doctor. Told me not to drink coffee and that I was luck to be having colonosocopies on a regular basis.

Submitted Feb. 21, 2013 | flag

Initially I was very pleased with Dr. Monkewich. He took time and effort to actually do a consultation and exam. However, on subsequent visits, he didn't offer me any advice on what to do, when to come back or any other sort of recommendation(other than to avoid coffee)& continue to take the expensive medication for the rest of my life that did not even help in the least.

Submitted May 24, 2012 | flag

The good: Seems like a nice guy and all, does not rush, well mannered, technology savvy. The bad: Has not really been helpful in dealing with my condition, kept on doing tests after tests but kept dodging diagnosing and i felt didnt make an attempt to 'cure'. I have now started feeling he doesnt quite realise the pain i am in and the effect it is having on my life.

Submitted Nov. 23, 2011 | flag

I found this doctor to be extremely friendly,knowledgeable and not condescending.He visited my partner in Lions Gate Hospital when he said that he would.He and another GI man downtown are the best GIs around ...Thankfully he was on call when needed....

Submitted Aug. 22, 2011 | flag

One of the best and brightest gastros I have ever met. Saved my son's life with correct diagnosis and prompt action. Does a great E.R.C.P. Super guy and super doc and no, we are not related.

Submitted Oct. 24, 2010 | flag

Dr Monkewich made me very comfortable talking about things that are not easy to talk about. After he found a large polyp during a colonscopy, he very quickly tests done and got me into the surgeon right away. He has been really compassionate and kind the whole time.

Submitted Oct. 9, 2010 | flag

I found Dr. Monkewich to be very thorough and professional with a good way about him that put me at ease even when he was about to perform a colonoscopy--ugh! I waited a long time to see him and for the procedure, but he is a busy and rare specialist.

Submitted Oct. 7, 2010 | flag