Dr. David C. McKee

5 1 3.8

You may also like

Rate Dr. David C. McKee

Dr. David C. McKee's Ratings

In response to a newspaper article about David McKee MD V. Dennis Laurion, Dr. McKee, founder of Northland Neurology and practitioner at St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth, Minnesota, said that money is money, and he wouldn't remember the impact in five years. I wrote my review of Dr. David McKee five years ago. I can't speak for Dr. McKee, but I still remember the impact.
This entire experience has been distressing to my family. We were initially shocked and blindsided by “jocular” comments made so soon after my father’s stroke by somebody who didn’t know us. We were overwhelmed by my being sued after posting a consumer opinion, and we were shocked by the rapidity with which it happened.
While being sued for defamation, I have been called a passive aggressive, an oddball, a liar, a coward, a bully, a malicious person, and a zealot family member. I’ve been said to have run a cottage industry vendetta, posting 108 adverse Internet postings in person or through proxies. That’s not correct. In reality, I posted ratings at three consumer rating sites, deleted them, and never rewrote them again.
What it’s like for a patient or family member to be caught up in a case like McKee V. Laurion was already described by the plaintiff’s lawyer in a Star Tribune newspaper article, “Company sues over info put on Yahoo message board,” August 27, 2001, and repeated in http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2001/08/27/bus_321610.shtml . It said in part: “IF A COMPANY SUES, alleging simple business disparagement or perhaps defamation, ITS GOAL ISN’T NECESSARILY TO WIN,” SAID MARSHALL TANICK, a First Amendment expert at Mansfield & Tanick in Minneapolis. “THE STRATEGY IS TO FORCE THE OTHER PERSON TO INCUR HUGE LEGAL EXPENSES THAT WILL DETER THEM AND OTHERS from making such statements,” he said … “yet very few (cases) go all the way to trial and verdict,” Tanick said. [ Emphasis added ]
The plaintiff’s first contact with me was a letter that said in part that he had the means and motivation to pursue me. The financial impact of being sued three years to date has been burdensome, a game of financial attrition that I haven’t wanted to play. The suit cost me the equivalent of two year’s net income - the same as 48 of my car payments plus 48 of my house payments. My family members had to dip into retirement funds to help me.
After receipt of a threat letter, I deleted my rate-your-doctor site postings and sent confirmation emails to opposing counsel. Since May of 2010, postings on the Internet by others include newspaper accounts of the lawsuit; readers’ remarks about the newspaper accounts; and blog opinion pieces written by doctors, lawyers, public relations professionals, patient advocates, and information technology experts. Dozens of websites by doctors, lawyers, patient advocates, medical students, law schools, consumer advocates, and free speech monitors posted opinions that a doctor or plumber shouldn’t sue the family of a customer for a bad rating. These authors never said they saw my deleted ratings – only the news coverage.
It was not my intention to use any descriptions or conclusions. It was also not my intention to claim that I had proof. Only my family and the doctor were in the room. My intention was to portray my recollection of what happened in my father’s room. The public could decide what to believe and what - if any - impact it had on them: insensitive doctor or overly-sensitive consumer?
Medical peer newsletters or magazines that interviewed the plaintiff did not approach me. Websites maintained by doctors for doctors or lawyers for lawyers often caused an inference that I was a zealot family member or somebody who had asked about my dad’s chances and then shot the messenger. Generally, however, those websites echoed other websites in advising public relations responses other than a lawsuit - for fear of creating the “Streisand Effect.” As a retired layman, I brought far less resources to the battle of financial attrition.
The Minnesota Supreme Court compared every statement I attributed to Dr. David McKee against every statement he claimed he really said. The Court concluded the impact of each set of statements was the same. For instance, the Minnesota high court said that Dr. David McKee’s version of his comment about the intensive care unit was substantially similar to mine.
During the existence of David McKee MD vs Dennis Laurion, I heard Dr. McKee's lawyer tell the Minnesota Supreme Court how I could have commented without being defamatory. I am upset. I think Doctor McKee did not treat my father well. I think he was insensitive. He did not spend enough time in my opinion.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2826297].votes_count ]]

Submitted June 3, 2015

Excellent experience! Thankful to have been referred to Dr. McKee!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2708571].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2015

Dr. McKee took his time explaining about my tumor, seizures and medications. I'm grateful that I have him for a neurologist. Furthermore, he is extremly intelligent and knowledgeable.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2346203].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

In April 2010, my father had a stroke. Dr. McKee conducted a consultation in my father's room at St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth MN. I was present for that consultation until my wife and mother felt our continued presence would embarrass my father. I was sued by Doctor Mckee for my earlier reviews. During the existence of David McKee MD vs Dennis Laurion, I heard Dr. McKee's lawyer tell the Minnesota Supreme Court how I could have commented without being defamatory. I’m upset. I think Doctor McKee did not treat my father well. I think he was insensitive. He didn’t spend enough time in my opinion. I'm not qualified to assess Dr. David Mckee in terms of diagnosis accuracy or knowledge and experience, nor am I familiar with office environment, staff professionalism, or appointment easiness.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][354873].votes_count ]]

Submitted June 8, 2013

Dr David McKee made a wild comment on my exam that I may have MS, the results of injuries from a auto accident where relate to MS. As a result I then went to Mayo Clinic , they did not understand how Dr McKee came up with his findings. It made no sense to them. The insurance company used Dr McKee's information in court . Good news is I don't have MS and better news I will not recommend this Dr

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][354872].votes_count ]]

Submitted Jan. 30, 2013

I have dealt with over 20 neurologists in mn and wi dealing with hard to treat seizures. This fine Dr. Has no problem stepping in and showing his stuff. He is knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and I rate him rate up with mayos finest. Duluth is very lucky to have such a fine neurologist in the area. Thank you Doctor for all you do.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][354871].votes_count ]]

Submitted Jan. 14, 2013

I would never recommend this Dr to anyone! He was rude to his staff and unprepared for the office visit. He hardly took the time to evaluate me and then in his dictation put all these tests he did in the office. I felt like it was a waste of everyone's time. 2 hours of my life I won't get back and still no answers to my problem :-(

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][354867].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2012

He is a bit quirky, but geniuses often are. Very thorough exam and answered all questions thoroughly and politely. I imagine he doesn't have much patience for stupidity. I heard the office staff complaining loudly about another patient, but they were nice enough to me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][354865].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 27, 2012

The staff at Northland Neurology is extremely kind and caring. Whether on the phone or in person I can't help but smile after talking with them, they are truly compassionate people. Dr. McKee was kind and understanding. He took the time to explain treatment options and diagnostic procedures, and the risks and advantages of each. He even let me be part of the decision making process, which was a very pleasant surprise after having grown accustomed to being handed a prescription and being told "try this." Most importantly to me and to my family, he was able to accurately diagnose my condition and provide a solution. Hopefully others who are searching for an honest review will read this, and I hope they find comfort instead of needlessly worrying as I did.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][354875].votes_count ]]