Rate Dr. Stephen A. Schmones

Dr. Stephen A. Schmones's Ratings

I am a patient of Dr. Schmones from 1985=1990. During that time I was pregnant and gave birth to 3 healthy babies. During pregnancy #2, I was young, stupid, and in denial..doing drugs and found out I was pregnant. I called him hysterical. He peeled me off the ceiling and we talked about the risks to the baby, based on the fetal age, what I had taken, and so on. He was not judgmental, he didn't encourage me to abort, and I went on to have a healthy baby girl. I moved out of the area and stopped going to him but recall how he could have been dismissive or judgmental but wasn't. I was even considering taking up nursing and he and his staff were encouraging me in this, sadly I didn't pursue it. This comes to mind as I recall my gratitude list over the years and what a blessing my now 27 year old daughter has been who has been an RN for the past 6 years. I highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2438220].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 15, 2014

I would not recommend going to this Dr. if you value communication and Dr. who values all life. I went in for my first exam to do all of the prenatal testing and consultation. He discussed the testing they do for Down Syndrome - when I asked why I would want that done - he said because 'most people choose to terminate the pregnancy.' Then he continued with a story of a patient who chose to keep the baby even after the test and she now has a child with extreme special needs that he claimed - 'is really a lot to handle.' I was so disgusted. I also asked to not have the cystic fibrosis test done in my prenatal screening due to personal preference and cost - I found out later when my bill came that they in fact DID give me that test and now I am out of pocket over $500. Needlesstosay, after that initial appointment I never returned and have since found an AMAZING midwife who has given me the upmost in care and I could not even imagine continuing my care with this DR or anyone else.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013962].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 22, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Schmones since 2009 and he is an excellent Dr. He will listen to you and answer any questions you may have. He will take any concerns or problems you may have into consideration when making decisions about medications or other procedures and will provide you with thorough answers. His bedside manner is great. He isn't one to take a lot of time to talk to you in the room, which works for me because I don't have a lot of time to be at the doctors. There is sometimes a wait to see him but not a big deal. His staff is great and friendly and know me by name which makes the whole experience much more comfortable. There is always good and bad things about a doctor but I think the good out weigh the bad in this case.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013961].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2013

As a new patient, just wanting a well-woman check-up, I waited over two weeks for an appointment. Arrived early because I knew there would be paperwork. I was obviously invisible as the two (2) front office girls didn't acknowledge me as I signed in (they were busy on a computer issue). After waiting ten minutes, one finally deigned to give me the paperwork to fill out. Did I mention I was the ONLY ONE IN THE WAITING ROOM? One other woman did come in about ten minutes after I arrived and was ushered in the back shortly--she had a gift basket (for the staff?). After waiting 30 minutes past my appointment time, I retrieved my paperwork and left the office. I did get a "sorry, there's been emergencies this morning". Would have been nice to know that and have had an option to reschedule or at least try to move my following appointment. "Did I want to reschedule?" Sure! I really appreciate poorly trained staff and a waste of a total of an hour and a half, gas and parking $.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013960].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 13, 2013

BE AWARE! There some good things but of greater concern are the bad things so I'm going to start there. He did way too many ultrasounds. He gave me pitocin the minute i started having contractions without discussing it with me. He preformed a midline episiotomy before I even started pushing having never discussed it with me. It took months to heal. Botched my sons circumcision (he will need surgery to correct it). That said...he's the nicest guy ever. His staff is great & friendly staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013959].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 11, 2011

He seriously is amazing! As a FTM i was worrying over every little thing. He always took the time to answer all of my questions. If i called and he wasnt available i would always receive a call from him in a timely manner. I definitely would recommend him to all of my friends/ family. He is a great person!! Staff is super friendly and helpful as well!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013958].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2011

Dr. Schmones helped me through two miscarriages, and the delivery of my son. I had a c-section, and he was there every step of the way. My son was delivered safely and he checked on me every day I was in the hospital during recovery. He is the best!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1013957].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 15, 2010

He is an odd one. He is fine as a doctor, but very abrupt and had a discussion on the phone with another patient revealing very private things about that patient, in front of me. I was uncomfortable to say the least. Also he snapped at me at one point in our conversation. LITERALLY snapped at me to be quiet when he was on the phone and I was trying to whisper I wanted to leave.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013956].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 2, 2010

If this is the same doctor that delivered my son, 33 years ago in Beth Israel Hosp, NY, then he is the doctor that I swore I would never forget, for he believed in me, and found out my being allergic to pregnancy (oh Yes) and helped deliver my son on his day off. Dr. Schmones that delivered my son did an excellent job, and saved my from internal bleeding. God bless you Dr. Schmones.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013955].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 17, 2010

Dr. Schmones is a professional who has a wonderful bedside manner. I wouldn't dream of going to anyone else. All the women in my family go to him and have for the past 25 years.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1013954].votes_count ]]