Dr. David A. McLain

Grad. Year: 1974

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 19 reviews. Dr. David A. McLain has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. David A. McLain
Rheumatologist-related: rheumatic diseases, musculoskeletal problems, scleroderma, musculoskeletal pain, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, Raynaud's phenomenon, vasculitis, connective tissue diseases, rheumatic fever
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5635273
10/07/14 2 3 5 5 Dr McLain's staff has chged , bad, good, bad, good over the years. I love him. I think he is great I love him for what he has done for me. Yes I don't like the wait but he is worth it. I just take a book and settle in. I have read the other reviews. I will say why he drops patients. He has many patients on narcotics for pain He spot checks urine. He has had numbers of patients have 0 residues of the narcotic in their blood which means they are probably selling them. Yep, buddy. He drops these patients but of course he can't say why and probably the patient doesn't broadcast this information either. I hate trying to reach him too by phone but he does have his email address on his site and he does answer me. He has done so much for me diagnosing several problems. I am surprised at the bad experiences with him, I feel lucky it has never happened to me.
Insurance: Medicare

17/06/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.5
RID: 5487310
20/05/14 1 4 5 5 Have been a patient since 1997. Was referred to Dr McLain by Mayo Clinic. Never had a problem with him. His staff is by far the worse I've ever dealt with. I live 1hr 45 mins from office. On MANY occasions I have needed his immediate attention for serious flare ups of Lupus & haven't been able to talk to him because I could not get past the front desk. Dr McLain prescribed a new medication for me & it took his office staff 3 wks to get it to my insurance for consideration. It took me threatening to take a day off from work & drive to B'ham so that I could just "speak" with him about the matter. It was only then that pior approval was sent. After it was sent my insurance approved in less than 24 hrs. His office staff has way too much control over the decision making of what is or is not important. I do not think he receives the majority of messages left for him or at least I hope this is the case. Love Dr McLain. Not holding tongue any longer about staff. Needs better staff seriously!!!  Respond
RID: 5209100
24/02/14 4 4 5 5 I absolutely love Dr McLain. He always listens and takes his time with me. The office staff its much better now. It does take time to get to the back even when you have an appt.but I feel like that is because he is giving each patient the time they need. A very caring and knowledgeable Dr.
RID: 5175018
12/02/14 5 3 5 5 I LOVE DR MCLAIN. VERY PERSONABLE KNOWLEDGABLE AND COMPASSIONATE. I NEVER FEEL RUSHED
RID: 3633992
17/12/13 3 1 1 3 Dr. McClain does not spend time with his patients. He does not answer questions nor does he try to set up a treatment or testing plan for current illnesses that are getting worse. There is always a very long wait.
RID: 3590999
30/10/13 5 4 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. McLain's since May 2013. I HIGHLY recommend him if you suffer from any rheumatologic diseases (lupus, arthritis, fibro, etc). I was "brushed off" by > 6 docs in 2 yrs & I felt like I was just getting old (I'm a young 50) or crazy. I had had a BAD post op infection in 2011--sepsis--after a hysterectomy & I had to wear Depends until that nasty draining wound closed! Dr. McLain was the first MD that listened and tested me for sources of my pain and other symptoms. He found I suffer from lupus,arthritis & fibro & he gave me back peace of mind. He's thorough and worth any wait because he spends quality time with each patient. His staff is kind, caring and efficient. Yes, sometimes I wait but most of his patients have multiple issues and that requires time and thought. Dr McLain is not only an excellent doctor, he is also a warm and compassionate man. I feel blessed to have found him and I am so grateful for he and his staff! NP--Trussville
Insurance: Aetna
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "David" to "David A."
RID: 2561278
16/02/13 5 3 5 5 Dr McLain is a great Dr! I have been seeing him for years and while I have always had to wait for a long time to get pulled back to a patient room, I find he is worth the wait. He takes a long time because he gives each and every patient a thorough exam. he takes the time to know you as a person, learning things about you and even your family and life. As a patient, I find this an invaluable trait in a physician. And as for his staff, there has been some "bad seeds" but the last time I was in the were all pretty much gone. His new nurse is a sweet heart, always smiling and approachable. You can tell she loves people and working with the public. The front desk girl is gone (thank heavens) and there is a new smiling face sitting there as well. You can feel a positive change in the practice. All of you can say or think what you want but as for me, I will stay with Dr. Mclain.  Respond
RID: 2427689
18/09/12 1 1 2 5 I have been a patient for almost 20 years. Staff has always been very RUDE. Doctor McLain is ALWAYS late and rushed but he had an excellent reputation BACK THEN so I put up with it. Gradually, he has quit spending time with patients and moves them out like a cattle call. He has moved way out of town away from medical facilities. He is now charging $15 for a prescription refill!!!! Unbelievable!!!! I won't be going back and will find a doctor who cares about patients and not MONEY.
RID: 2402487
16/08/12 1 3 5 5 Dr. McLain is a very nice doctor who helps you with whatever problem you have with your disease. The problem is his staff! They are the WORST I have ever seen. The nurse seems to decide if you need your medicine refilled or not and treats you like someone just wanting drugs. If she could for just 1 day have what I do I think she would change her mind. To be in such pain and being refused medicine is just awful. I had told her I would be out before my next appointment and she still refused to fill my medicine.  Respond
RID: 2035563
16/04/12 2 1 4 5 I have been seeing Dr McLain for a very long time there at brookwood. Now he has moved to his other location IM not so sure I like it so much, the drice is further and you still have to wait a long time for him to get there. I don't like his new office manager I over heard her talking about one of her employees and I thought that was very disrespectful of her to be like that. Thats no way to be a manager. I felt ally of tension in the office, and I wasn't able to really talk to anyone like before at Brookwood they were really short like they couldn't do anything. Not so sure if ill be going back and I have heard this from several other people also that I know who see Dr mclain.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1679644
07/01/12 1 1 3 3 Dr. McLain's staff members are very rude - not just the nurses but also the individual(s) who check you in and office manager. If you place a call and request for Dr. McLain to return your call, it will not happen. Sometimes a call is returned days after you make it and by the nurse. If she can't answer your question or help, she will say she just doesn't know. He has been known to drop patients with no reason. He is never on time and you have to wait usually an hour or more even with a scheduled appointment. Although I have been a patient for several years, I am seeking another doctor because I am tired of the extreme rudeness, wait time, and an apparent lack of caring in his office. When a patient has a rheumatic disorder, it is hard enough to live with that and deal with very difficult issues. You always need a doctor who cares and has a compassionate staff. I would not recommend this doctor at all.
See Responses
RID: 1550483
30/09/11 5 3 5 5 Dr. McLain has a great bed side manner. I have been more than please with all the treatments that we have explored. He makes himself readily available to you when you need him which is a huge plus for me!
RID: 1201951
05/07/10 5 4 5 5 DR MCLAIN IS A VERY UNDERSTANDING AND LOYAL DR. WHO LISTENS TO YOU AND TRIES TO HELP YOU IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE . HE TAKES TIME WITH HIS PATIENTS AND VERY THOROUGH WITH YOU. HE HAS A NEW NURSE WHO IS GREAT AND SHE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY.THE FRONT STAFF IS WONDERFUL AND UNDERSTANDING AND THEY DO THEY'RE BEST TO WORK WITH YOU IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. I WOULD RECOMMEND DR. MCLAIN TO ANYONE HE IS THE BEST!!!
RID: 1201398
04/07/10 5 2 5 5 I've seen over 7 rheumatologists across the country some from prestigious institutions and Dr. McLain is the most understanding and patient friendly rheumatologist I've encountered. He is very knowledgeable not only in rheumatology but in all areas of medicine. He will believe you even if your blood work doesn't show your pain where so many other doctors are quick to brush off patients when their blood work isn't as expected. He isn't afraid to say he doesn't know, and has plenty of friends and resources he is willing to go to for help in unusual cases.
RID: 1037462
18/11/09 3 4 5 5 I have been seeing Dr. McLain for about 2 years and he has really helped me and takes everything I tell him serious. Sometimes you feel that male doctors don't understand women's problems but Dr. McLain really listens and explains. He has improved his staff and they seem to be trying to present a friendly atmosphere. I do wish though that the office was not filled with negative signs...about payment, missed appointments, etc. I know that this is a valid problem but it is offensive to not be one of those patients and have to see them posted everywhere. Overall, I think Dr. McLain has been great for me!
RID: 819793
08/03/09 3 1 3 5 His nurse if HORRIBLE! She screams your last name into the waiting room when she is ready for you to come back and then just walks away and leaves you. Dr. is never on time. Never! I overheard the nurse talking with him on a cell phone 48 minutes past my appointment time and he wasn't even in the building yet. And I was his first appointment. Then he rushed me to get on to the other patients. He is not very people oriented.
See Responses
RID: 747046
19/12/08 5 3 5 5 I have been seeing Dr. McLain for over 10 years and I have seen alot of Docters in Birmingham and hes one of the best at helping his patients. thanks Dr. McLain  Respond
RID: 738783
07/12/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. McLain is the BEST Dr. I have in Birmingham. He is compassionate, caring, and goes to any length to help you. I consider him whenever I need to see other Dr.'s and I feel your health is of upmost importance to him. Thank God for Dr. McLain!!
RID: 418902
26/09/07 3 1 3 5 Dr. McLain is great, but you have to wait months for an appointment, and hours to get in when you get it. Also, he isn't very understanding of your problems, but is knowledgeable in what he does. Most of his staff are friendly but there's one or two nurses who have no personality whatsoever. But, I have to say that Dr. McLain knows his stuff, and will really work to find out what's wrong with you. However, I overheard in the waiting area that he's been known to drop patients without much notice to them, for reasons only known to him. I personally don't know if this is true, but it makes you wonder.
Paid (or co-pay): $30