Rate Dr. William Birnie

Dr. William Birnie's Ratings

I went to see Dr. Birnie after looking into the symptoms and common experiences of adults with ADD/ADHD, I've had trouble my whole life with motivation and focusing on one thing at a time. Dr. Birnie asked good questions about my behaviours and habits, and through my responses and other assessments determined that I have ADD. Since then I've been easing into using medication to manage the symptoms, and already I notice a difference. Dr. Birnie is a fantastic doctor for people who are considering the possibility of ADD in their life, he explained what was happening in my brain at a physiological level and explained how medication can be helpful. His ability to explain the disorder made it easy for me to understand what is going wrong, and to begin to analyze my habits and work towards fixing them.

Submitted June 14, 2014 | flag

Dr. Birnie is helpful, knowledgeable, and understands his clientele. He has accommodated my schedule when needed, and supports and validates my feelings around ADHD. He has given me the resources to understand and help myself as well as helping me to become more assertive in asking for my needs to be met.

Submitted Jan. 9, 2014 | flag

While Dr. Birnie is very knowledgeable about his profession, I find him very rude. He has no patience and is very short with me, I sometimes feel afraid to say anything at all to him because he is very snippy and even hung up the phone on me once. If I could go to a different doctor I would!

Submitted Dec. 3, 2013 | flag

Dr.Birnie changed my life. He was the first person to diagnose me correctly and explain what it meant. I was 37 years old. Its like he took the puzzle pieces of my life and made the whole picture. I am so thankful that heis my doctor I cant even put it in words. Dr.Birnie is the best of the best. No doubt!

Submitted Jan. 2, 2013 | flag

This doctor is every thing that a doctor should be. He has changed my life, my husbands, and my children's. I was wrongly diagnosed, I was on meds I did not need, and did not benefit from. Not only did Dr.Birnie know what my mental health issues were, and are, he gave me the right meds to treat them. He has helped me more in the last two years, then all the doctors, I have seen for my mental health in the last 20. This man knows his stuff, not only is he fully equipped to diagnose, and treat his patients, he also cares about them.

Submitted Oct. 29, 2012 | flag

Dr. Bernie, changed my life. As an adult with ADD I just didn't know what to do anymore. When I was a patient of Dr. Birnie's it was like a light bulb turned on in my head. For the first time I was able to carry through with all the inspirations in my life. Eventually everything would crash because I could only do it for so long.I had to move away from Halifax around 12 years ago. I had no more Dr. Birnie, and could never seem to explain what was going on with me to another doctor. I have an awesome family doctor but he just doesn't understand what ADD is. He's tried to help me but you can't help someone when they really don't understand what they are doing. I find now that I am getting older it's getting worse. I really don't know what to do at this point. All I can say is, Dr. Bernie, I know I am out of province, I really don't care what is costs, but I need your help so much. Please help, I just don't know what else to do. No one seems to understand. Please contact me @ 506-763-2469. Thanks so much, Jude

Submitted March 27, 2012 | flag

Very knowledgeable, was able to discribe me without me even introducing myself or my issues.

Submitted Jan. 5, 2012 | flag

This man changed my life. He told me that I had ADD, and recommended a book called 'I'm Not Stupid, Lazy, or Crazy'. My life is so much better now, and I give him a lot of credit for helping me through it.

Submitted Sept. 11, 2011 | flag

Dr. Birnie is outstanding in every way. It is clear his desire to help patients stems from a deep commitment to helping. He is extremely knowledgeable and always empowering. If he has ever offended anyone, i can only suppose thath his intention was not to be dismissive of anyone's personal experience, because it is his way to be an excellent listener. Coming to terms with ADD/ADHD often involves grieving or at least coming to terms with our past experiences. He will not likely say poor you" - rather he will work hard at helping you move beyond it. If we are not open to listening bcs we are steal needing to grieve (no judgement here), he may not be what we need, but when you are really ready to let go and get on with the fixing part - he is TOTALLY the guy you need to see. I am not exaggerating when i say he has changed my life. Thank you, Dr. Birnie, from the bottom of my heart.

Submitted March 18, 2011 | flag

I am a mature adult who has been seeing Dr. Birnie for ADHD for about a year. He is respectful, patient and attentive without compromising his professionalism. He truly understands what it is like to live with ADHD, his treatment follow up is exceptional, and his advise very empowering. He explained things I have struggled with all my life. After seeing him I walked out of the office and wept. Finally, so much many things that I'd struggled with came into focus. Without his patient explanations, I would still be struggling. Top notch.

Submitted Jan. 20, 2011 | flag