Rate Dr. Gerald Wittenberg

Dr. Gerald Wittenberg's Ratings

I had a terrible experience with Dr. Wittenberg. He ended up charging more for the procedure than what we discussed in the consultation, which I had to pay $150 for. Then, nobody explained to me what was going to happen in the surgery and I woke up with the worst pain of my life because he put some tubes from the outside of my throat to my nose. (I had no idea he was going to do this. Maybe if he had explained it to me before, it would have been different.) After the surgery, I told him that nobody had explained to me what was going to happen in the surgery and he didn't believe me. He said that his assistants definitely had to explain that to me, which they never did. Even a few days before my surgery, I got a phone call from his office to go and pick up some elastics to keep my jaw closed. I was explaining to the receptionist that I couldn't be there by the time that she wanted me to, so she offered to leave the stuff outside of the office. Also they cancelled my appointment last minute because they were going on holidays (that's what the receptionist told me). After you pay someone $9,000 dollars, you definitely don't expect to be treated like that! Anyway, now it has been 2 years since my surgery and I still can't feel half of my chin and lip. I'm very subconscious of myself when I'm eating. I feel like I have food everywhere around my mouth because I can not feel anything. Also he left a long bolt in the bone beside my nose and another one in my chin bone which now I've learned that he uses long bolts when he could use smaller ones.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2610948].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2014

I have practiced locally for a long time and know the community. Dr. Wittenberg is considered a superstar. He does so many types of surgery so well that the other Oral surgeons and even plastic surgeons are jealous as you can even see below with some obvious competition comments. I had him do my surgery and not only was my occlusion perfect but he did some other procedures that are somewhat cosmetic at the same time and I am incredibly grateful for the final result. The whole office is great and friendly and I model some of my office after his. There is no other with his talent in this area for sure.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2607695].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 5, 2014

Overall was pretty decent. The staff are awesome and very friendly. Dr. Wittenberg himself is for the most part pretty helpful. They don't warn you about the spaces that develop due to swelling so be sure to investigate and carefully feel around your mouth for food. I had food stuck on both sides far back in my mouth where your wisdom teeth were and got infection back there. I was able to fix it with amosan but could have been avoided. Just as a warning for others to look out for when you have your surgery. The pain was way lower then I thought it would be. The discomfort of like sleeping in a sitting position and swelling was the harder parts. I would definitely also suggest a sleeping pill the first night if its allowed. I didn't sleep at all the first night. Might as well have watched a movie because I sat there all night awake any ways. The day of surgery, I was really nervous and overwhelmed with what was going on but afterwards was fine. My jaw has healed up great now and minimal issues. Still have jaw clicking but no more overbite! From my experience, it was a good procedure and would recommend.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2564943].votes_count ]]

Submitted Oct. 5, 2014

I have had a terrible experience with this man. He performed orthognathic surgery to correct my open/underbite, but used an incorrect procedure to do so, essentially putting both my jaws into unnatural and highly tense positions. Soon after, my jaw muscles and joints reacted, pulling my jaw back and giving me a worse bite and unappealing aesthetic result. He tried to blame this on my body and recovery methods to up-sell his implants, etc., get money for another procedure of the same type and weasel out of any liability. After going to a real surgeon, it became apparent that Wittenburg had performed the incorrect procedure and it must be corrected with an entirely different approach. In fact, I was told in no uncertain terms that many patients (including the guy's own staff!) had similar or even worse complaints about Wittenburg and had to seek other surgeons to correct his shoddy work. I was satisfied with the corrective procedure, no thanks to Wittenburg, and highly recommend not choosing this man to be your surgeon or for anything else for that matter.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2559940].votes_count ]]

Submitted Oct. 1, 2014

I am currently on day three of recovering from my four wisdom teeth extractions, and have been very pleased with the whole procedure. Dr. Wittenberg was a very kind, competent surgeon, and the staff were friendly and helpful. I was a little nervous having the extractions with only local anesthetic, but the manner and knowledge with which they were removed by was thoroughly commendable and very quickly had me at ease. After the procedure, I experienced very little pain and virtually no swelling. I am very happy to have found this surgeon, and would recommend him to anyone.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2512063].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 24, 2014

I had two experiences over the years and both were good. When i was younger, I had wisdom teeth done under anesthetic and I remembered and my mother told me how nervous i was at the time but that the staff and Dr Wittenberg were really calm and friendly and calmed me down. I remember I was eating really quick and had very little swelling and went back to school quick. Over the years, I felt like I was looking too old for my liking and I remembered the pictures in Dr Wittenberg's office showing amazing changes to people's faces. So I went back and went over some changes I needed in my mind anyway and Dr Wittenberg was great and told me to wait on some stuff which was so honest. I had a 'mini' facelift and a cheek pad lift to fix the bags under my eyes. What a great thing. I am hardly a wallflower but I found my confidence level so much more and I just seemed to feel great. Most of my friends just thought I was off from a vacation and my bestie was jealous and decided to see him

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2439276].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 11, 2014

I live out East and used to live in BC. I had heard such good things about Dr Wittenberg and went over his amazing patient photos on his website and traveled to have surgery with him. His office was so good in answering my questions before I even went for the consult and surgery and they arranged both at the same visit for me. I had chin surgery, jawline and cheek augmentation and I am so happy with how I look and feel. I had no problems at all and they checked up with me to make sure I was fine after surgery. I know there are many facial surgeons but to find one with such a good artistic eye and talent was life changing for me. Dr Wittenberg was so calm and approachable and he made me relaxed as a result. Good experience (considering it was surgery!)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2439275].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

I am a patient of Dr. Wittenberg's and recently had a chin surgery and liposculpture. I was tired of my double chin and wanted to look as great as I feel. Of course I was a little nervous about surgery but after meeting Dr. Wittenberg, my questions were answered and I immediately felt at ease. He honestly discussed my options and i felt very well informed. His calming nature and friendly staff made my experience so positive. He is an excellent surgeon who I have recommended to my family and friends. Make an appointment and see for yourself- you won't regret it!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2439274].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 23, 2014

I was in a trauma. I was sent from a northern BC community to have my jaw wired by Dr. Wittenberg at Delta hospital. Not only did he charge my parents at the time a 500.00 cash fee in the hospital for a consult. He also failed to complete a proper assessment with appropriate diagnostics. As a result, he missed the fact that my right zygomatic bone was also fractured. Therefore, he poorly wired my jaw with the use of elastics and did not correct my cheek, let alone inform me it too was fractured. It has been 9 years and my face is asymmetrical, I suffer severe TMJ pain as jaw was not set properly, and I am now awaiting to undergo further treatment to correct jaw, bite, and facial symmetry. I am now a nurse by profession and can not believe the care or lack of in which I received.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2439273].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 4, 2014

Very accommodating, I was an out of town patient and he and his staff ensured every step was easy and suited to my schedule; he provided me with a personal contact number for after my surgery if I had any questions, and followed up multiple times post surgery to ensure I comfortable and healthy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2439272].votes_count ]]