Rate Dr. James U. Adelman

Dr. James U. Adelman's Ratings

Obviously not every patient is going to respond to every treatment. Dr. Adelman has been my doctor for years and I have always been treated respectfully. His staff are helpful and return my calls. Headache Wellness Center has been around for 20 years and they are doing things the right way, at least for me. They do not prescribe narcotic pain medications. I used to use Stadol nasal spray as a back up and was using it a couple of times per week. Dr. Adelman stopped the medication and I was unhappy and scared. He was right, though, and other medications provided improved headache control and zero narcotics in my system. Wellness is taken seriously at the office and if you are not going to exercise, stop smoking, lose weight, try to sleep better, then how do you really expect to get better control over your headaches? That was a hard lesson for me, and I work every day now on good health. Bottom line: excellent center, excellent doctor, best place in the state.

Submitted Feb. 21, 2010 | flag

I seen this physician for over 16 years with no success. is staff is evil, rude, and very unhelpful. I was told I had a stroke and thats what was causing all my headaches. nothing was ever done to address the stroke and his assistants were always giving me injections in my head and neck to stop the headaches. Even though I had been hospitalized several times from blacking out due to the pain, he would not give me anything to stop the pain. He does not listen to his patients, belittles them and thinks he knows all .In reality he is a idiot.

Submitted Jan. 15, 2010 | flag

Great staff. Doctor is over his head with more complex cases that do not respond to the typical prescribed medications for Migraine. Was very sweet initially, but once he reached the end of his knowledge, and I had done research on the web and asked questions, he became less cordial. Eventually, the relationship degraded completely- I wasn't getting better... I had more suggestions than he had answers due to my access to current medical journals and his lack of awareness of current practice "to be tried" for patients who did not respond to the basics of migraine treatment. When I finally asked for a replacement for a medication that was packing pounds on, and not helping me, he tried to pull me off cold turkey, and also then denied me a refill of my rescue meds, and when switching doctors, I noticed that in my chart, I was labeled a drug seeker, and a "difficult patient." Obviously I no longer go to that clinic.

Submitted Aug. 25, 2009 | flag

Although I have followed all his recommendations carefully, including biofeedback, advoiding triggers, every type of preventive medication (anti-depressants, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers,anti-convulsants, and more) and increased exercise, after 17 years as Dr. Adelman's patient my migraines had increased from 12-14 per month to about 25-27 per month. I gave up. I think he can help some people, but he did not help me.

Submitted Aug. 11, 2009 | flag

I was referred to Dr. Adelman by a neurologist in Hickory for migraine headaches. I was having 5-7 per week and was taking imitrex nearly every day along with pain meds. Dr. Adelman started me on several medecines to prevent headaches and they worked! Progress was slow at first but within 2 weeks I started seeing improvement. After a year, I was nearly headache free. I maybe have a headache every couple months now, if that. I could not be happier. Now, here is the rub. If you are looking for a doctor to prescribe narcotics, forget it. That probably turns a lot of folks off. It did me at first until his treatment started working. He was very kind to me and took the time to explain how his treatment would work and what each of the preventive meds would do. I would highly recommend Dr. Adelman if you have severe migraine headaches often. He certainly helped me and maybe he can help you.

Submitted July 14, 2009 | flag

He was arrogant and dismissive with my daughter, and with me. Wrote off her symptoms as "hormones" and "drama", and denied pain control. He prescribed expensive bio feedback, physical therapy within his office. If you don't use them are labeled noncompliant. He refused repeated requests for MRI until I promised he would be sorry when it showed a problem. He yelled in my face blaming "people like me for driving up insurance rates" but ordered the test which was seriously abnormal. Months of extra agony due to arrogance and preconceived notions about teenage girls. I felt this office was very much a money making business. The emphasis was not diagnostic. If your HA is more than tension go elsewhere for evaluation.

Submitted May 8, 2009 | flag

Helpfulness score : 1. Why? He was not willing to listen to me. He was more interested in yes/no answers to his questions than more detailed answers about my migraines. Knowledge score : 1. Why? He misdiagnosed twice. Once said I had OCD when I did not. The second time he said I had a cyst on my brain that was not growing. When I switched doctors, my new doctor recognized it was not a cyst, but a tumor that was growing (based on the same MRI's that Adelman read) and was currently the size of a baseball. It required surgery within a week due to the high risk of causing a stroke.

Submitted March 3, 2009 | flag

i saw another doctor there and she did not seem to have much interest in me and did not spend much time with me. did not answer the questions i wanted to know

Submitted Sept. 29, 2008 | flag

I came in first with BCBS and he was great. When I was laid off and came in with Medicaid he had little time for me and was unwilling to stay to answer my questions. We found him to be rude and unwilling to engage us at all.

Submitted July 23, 2007 | flag