Rate Dr. Allen L. Carl

Dr. Allen L. Carl's Ratings

Dr Carl literally saved my life. He fixed my multiple spinal issues that were caused by another surgeon's 3 botched surgeries. Many surgeons with great reputations at the time refused to even see me because of the 3 failed prior surgeries. Dr. Carl agreed to see me, tested me for almost a year to figure out all my issues, and then operated for 9 hours on me. It's now been 11 years and I still have a high quality of life. He gave me my life back, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Submitted Oct. 21, 2012 | flag

Dr Carl is a very compassionate and caring person. He is old school in his approach and I appreciate it. He did an extensive surgery for Osteomyelitis of 8th or 9th thoracic vertibre. This involved a dual surgery to reconstruct both the from and back of the spine. This surgery took about 8 hours and was a complete success. He used some rib bone as well as some hip bone to create a bone graft to fix the spine. The hospital recovery time was 7 day. And the patient returned home following this time. This was an exceptional job!!! Also the stall at Albany Med was exceptional. I highly recommend both the doctor and the medical staff.

Submitted April 10, 2012 | flag

Excellent doctor. He fixed my back in 2002 and gave me my best options for recovery. He is very knowledgable and answers all questions, even though he may seem like he is in a hurry. I feel privaleged to have him as my Dr. If you feel he is not punctual - put yourself in his shoes. He is worth the wait.

Submitted Nov. 2, 2011 | flag

I had scoliosis surgery from Dr. Carl 5 1/2 months ago. I saw him first when i was 11 and he put my in back braces whe i was 13. He did everything in his power to prevent having to go in and do surgery. when he said my back needed surgery we had it. He actually bumped someone else to get my in sooner because he said i needed it done immediately. The surgery was more successful than he thought it would be. It was a hard month after surgery and i have had to wear a brace for the past 5 1/2 months but will get it off in 2 weeks. He came into my hospital room every morning and told me what to expect at that point in the recovery time. what i could and couldn't do and what would help. He answered every question i had and was very respectful. Shanti, his assistant, is fun and focused. she gets you in, remembers your names, and gives you her number to answer any questions you may have. Dr. Carl is thorough and the best scoliosis surgeon there is. he can be VERY behind on his appointments.

Submitted June 21, 2011 | flag

He is really smart and knows what he's doing. he's helped me and my father with our back problems. he's the best.

Submitted May 23, 2011 | flag

He is the best back Doctor you can ask for, he is one of the best in the country,I go for him for scoliosis and the first time I went to see him he was right to the point and did not want me to go into surgery, but when I did he was upfront and did not hide any details why I had to have it. The only problem was him moving to Albany Med its just a longer wait but every thing else is fine though. Shanta is also very nice and is quick for what she has to do. I had surgery about 3 years ago and have not had any problem since

Submitted March 15, 2011 | flag

This Doctor saw our child almost immediately when he saw his chart was so bad. He is very knowledgeable and very helpful with children.

Submitted Jan. 10, 2011 | flag

Dr Carl is the best!!!! He is so knowledgeable and he and Shanti really care about there patients. They are a dynamite team and anyone who gets the care from them should count there blessings because they are truely in the best hands!

Submitted Aug. 27, 2010 | flag

Very competent, knowledgeable, thorough doctor. I felt I could trust him. He did what he could to help my back pain, cortisone injections (which didn't last) recommending exercise. He was honest about surgery, that he wouldn't want to operate since it probably wouldn't help and problems would continue. Some back problems just can't be fixed and this was verified by another doctor. The only thing I did not like was his talking into the dictation machine while in the exam room, referring to me in the third person while he is answering my questions. It was a little uncomfortable. But, his notes are really thorough and helpful to other doctors. I would recommend him to others who have ortho problems.

Submitted June 25, 2010 | flag

It's been manny years since I've seen Dr. Carl, but I still remember having to wait for a long time in his waiting room. I can never remember him be seeing at the scheduled time, however, he and his staff were almost always very helpful, kind, and caring. In fact I consider many of them my friends.

Submitted Feb. 21, 2010 | flag