Rate Dr. Allen L. Carl

Dr. Allen L. Carl's Ratings

I'm sure 20 years ago he was on top of his game, but at this point, it's time to retire. I went to him when i slipped a couple discs in my back. At first he put me on meds , and that helped. But exactly one year later, I was in excruciating pain. I couldn't walk, shower or drive. My quality of life was slowly slipping away. I went back to him time and time again (over the course of several months) and was told that there was nothing that could be done. I could live with the pain or not. I asked about surgery and was told it wouldn't help and I was setting myself up for a lifetime of surgery. I couldn't live the rest of my life in that much pain. I spend 2 months sleeping on the living room floor. I finally went for a second opinion. I was told that if I didn't have surgery in the next couple weeks I would be in a wheel chair. When they opened my back up, they found the nerve (typically bright white in color) to be almost dead (deep purple). After surgery I am able to walk, drive and basically have gone back to being me. I don't know why he was so afraid to do surgery? I understand that surgery can cause further issues, but all he had to do was say "I'm not doing it, get another opinion." It is sad that I almost ended up in a wheelchair. I still have no feeling in my left foot and part of my left leg constantly feels like it's asleep. And that could be permanent. I have nothing but good things to say about Shanti and the rest of the staff. They were always courteous and kind when I would go to see them. Shanti is an asset to that office.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2703595].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 30, 2015

Years ago I met Dr. Carl thru his daughter . I never thought I would need his services. I was taken by ambulance to AMC after a fall from my horse. Dr. Carl met me in the ER and ordered a bunch of tests, gave me much needed pain meds. I had an MRI which showed a fx to L1. I spent a week in the hospital, 2 weeks in a body cast and then a brace for several months. His office is very busy so bring something to read. I never minded since valet parking is right outside his office. Shanti his MA is amazing and gets it done.. Never had to worry about my forms she would have them filled out and mailed out in record time. Just an all around great doctor and person..

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2597401].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 28, 2014

Dr Carl literally saved my life. He fixed my multiple spinal issues that were caused by another surgeon's 3 botched surgeries. Many surgeons with great reputations at the time refused to even see me because of the 3 failed prior surgeries. Dr. Carl agreed to see me, tested me for almost a year to figure out all my issues, and then operated for 9 hours on me. It's now been 11 years and I still have a high quality of life. He gave me my life back, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045778].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2012

Dr Carl is a very compassionate and caring person. He is old school in his approach and I appreciate it. He did an extensive surgery for Osteomyelitis of 8th or 9th thoracic vertibre. This involved a dual surgery to reconstruct both the from and back of the spine. This surgery took about 8 hours and was a complete success. He used some rib bone as well as some hip bone to create a bone graft to fix the spine. The hospital recovery time was 7 day. And the patient returned home following this time. This was an exceptional job!!! Also the stall at Albany Med was exceptional. I highly recommend both the doctor and the medical staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045777].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 10, 2012

Excellent doctor. He fixed my back in 2002 and gave me my best options for recovery. He is very knowledgable and answers all questions, even though he may seem like he is in a hurry. I feel privaleged to have him as my Dr. If you feel he is not punctual - put yourself in his shoes. He is worth the wait.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045776].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 2, 2011

I had scoliosis surgery from Dr. Carl 5 1/2 months ago. I saw him first when i was 11 and he put my in back braces whe i was 13. He did everything in his power to prevent having to go in and do surgery. when he said my back needed surgery we had it. He actually bumped someone else to get my in sooner because he said i needed it done immediately. The surgery was more successful than he thought it would be. It was a hard month after surgery and i have had to wear a brace for the past 5 1/2 months but will get it off in 2 weeks. He came into my hospital room every morning and told me what to expect at that point in the recovery time. what i could and couldn't do and what would help. He answered every question i had and was very respectful. Shanti, his assistant, is fun and focused. she gets you in, remembers your names, and gives you her number to answer any questions you may have. Dr. Carl is thorough and the best scoliosis surgeon there is. he can be VERY behind on his appointments.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045775].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 21, 2011

He is really smart and knows what he's doing. he's helped me and my father with our back problems. he's the best.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045774].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 23, 2011

He is the best back Doctor you can ask for, he is one of the best in the country,I go for him for scoliosis and the first time I went to see him he was right to the point and did not want me to go into surgery, but when I did he was upfront and did not hide any details why I had to have it. The only problem was him moving to Albany Med its just a longer wait but every thing else is fine though. Shanta is also very nice and is quick for what she has to do. I had surgery about 3 years ago and have not had any problem since

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045773].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 15, 2011

This Doctor saw our child almost immediately when he saw his chart was so bad. He is very knowledgeable and very helpful with children.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045772].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 10, 2011

Dr Carl is the best!!!! He is so knowledgeable and he and Shanti really care about there patients. They are a dynamite team and anyone who gets the care from them should count there blessings because they are truely in the best hands!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1045771].votes_count ]]