Dr. Elizabeth R. Sagan

Grad. Year: 1979

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 20 reviews. Dr. Elizabeth R. Sagan has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: does she accept upmc for u health insurance?    Email me    Answer it

Urologist-related: urinary tract, prostate, bladder, erectile dysfunction, kidney stone disease, male infertility, prostate cancer, urinary incontinence
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 4730446
04/02/14 5 4 5 5 There is not enough space to write all that I could. Dr. Sagan is an exceptional doctor and a wonderful person. She takes time to make sure you understand what is going on. She follows up with you as often as is necessary. She has always returned her phone calls. She shows great care and concern for your needs. She has treated me with the utmost care and respect. I don't know what I would do without her. Her staff is also wonderful. Audrey is the best! Erika is helpful, sweet, and caring. Mary also shows great care and concern. And Terri is always pleasant and helpful. Pittsburgh is blessed to have Dr. Sagan!  Respond
RID: 3621713
30/11/13 5 4 5 5 Started seeing Dr Sagan after hyster.I don't know the doctor these other women are talking about.I have had couple procedure done by Dr Sagan now,and see her every 6 months,Maybe Ms Jekel comes out in between vist. She has only ever treated me with respect and compassion.I have referred frinds and family to her.
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Elizabeth" to "Elizabeth R."
RID: 2531619
15/01/13 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sagan is an exceptional physician and surgeon. She is attentive, caring, helpful, and knowledgeable. I have never felt more cared for by a physician. She takes whatever time is needed to answer questions and concerns. Her staff is absolutely magnificent. They care about you and go out of their way to help. Dr. Sagan always returns her calls and has even called to check on me after a procedure or surgery. The Pittsburgh area is lucky to have her. I would highly recommend her!
RID: 1757236
18/03/12 5 5 5 5 I have been going to Dr. Sagan for over a decade and she is truly a wonderful, caring doctor. While sometimes she may seem a bit direct, she has her patients' best interest at heart and is really knowledgeable. She always looks out for her patients and she has helped me on a number of issues with my insurance company. Also, she is very considerate -- she even gives sample drugs to patients before she prescribes anything so that they don't have to pay for pills that don't work. In addition, her staff is exceptional. Audrey is just the best! I have been to several urologists before Dr. Sagan and I am truly lucky to have found her.
RID: 1436842
09/05/11 5 5 5 5 I have Fibromyalgia, and IC. I have been a patient of Dr. Sagan since 1997, after seeing a local "male" urologist who treated me like I was a stupid female, I was thanking God when another physician recommended Dr. Sagan. She has been very compassionate and knowledgeable in her field and I would not want to ever have to see different urologist! Her staff has always been very helpful anytime that I have had to called. My only negative comment would be the wait to see her, but, that should also tell you what a good physician she is to have so many women waiting to see her! My mother is looking for a doctor in her state, and if she didn't have such a hard time traveling, I would have her come to Pittsburgh. My daughter has also been a patient of Dr. Sagan's since she was young. We usually schedule our appointments together and she never has any issues at seeing us both at the same time.  Respond
RID: 1433954
05/05/11 5 5 5 5 At first I thought she came off rude. After I got to know her, her expertise is outstanding. She made sure to follow up with me after I got home from the hospital. Dont let her tone steer you away, she is an expert in her field and will do anything to help you
RID: 1401951
30/03/11 5 5 5 5 My mom and I have been with Dr Sagan for over 10 years. She is the 1st dr. who treated my mom with respect. Always been there for us. Here staff is wonderful!!! They always do their best to get me or mom in for appointments. So these people who have critizes here are no far from reality. More doctors should be like her, then we wouldn't have issues on seeing doctors when thinks are wrong. Go see her and you will see what we mean. SHE IS THE BEST!!! That is why she is the Chief of Urology.
RID: 1398921
27/03/11 5 5 5 5 I started seeing Dr. Sagan when I was just alittle over the age limit for Childrens Hospital. She went out of her way to fix my issues....that was 18 years ago and I have never had a kidney infection since. She never hesitated to return a phone call or look out for my best interest. She was not only one of the best doctors I've had, she saved my kidneys and my life, I am forever thankful for her. I'm sorry that other ppl haven't had the same positive experience that I've had. I now live away from Pittsburgh and if I ever need to see a Urologist again, she is worth my travel back.
RID: 1207805
14/07/10 2 2 1 1 Dr. Sagon was extremely rude to a patient of mine. I am a physician of another specialty and I was appalled at the rudeness and lack of compassion she showed both my patients and staff when her services were consulted for what we believed to be a medical emergency. She may be a skilled surgeon ( I really cannot judge) but her attitude towards patients and staff as well as other physicians would cause me to go out of my way to consult a different MD next time!! She literally claimed that her time was more precious than my staff's or my patient's.
RID: 1172754
19/05/10 4 4 5 5 Dr. Sagan has been a blessing to me for over 16 years. I have had multiple surgeries and problems. She is always willing to listen and ready to help. She and her staff always treat me as if I am the most important patient there. The people in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area should be thankful to have someone like her at a nearby hospital. She is a wonderful surgeon and a terrific person.
RID: 1164158
06/05/10 2 1 2 2 I have recurring UTI's that no one can help me with. Went to her for help. She has the worst bedside manner and her staff is even more uncompassionate. For the people that were successfully helped by her, great, she is probably as good as everyone claims but sometimes, it helps to have someone 1/2 as good that cares and tries. FYI, problem still not solved.
RID: 1126587
12/03/10 5 5 5 5 Dr Sagan is the most caring trusted doctor that I've met. She took on cases that no one wanted, and does an outstanding job. She is truly a wonderful physician.  Respond
RID: 1058751
16/12/09 1 1 1 1 Don't know who everyone else is seeing but she had the worst bedside manner with me. Very rude and condescending to both me and the nurses who were taking care of me while I was in the hospital. I could actually hear her screaming and berating the nurses in the hallway outside my room! How unprofessional! I am a nurse myself, and she treated me like I was stupid and beneath her. She epitomizes the stereotypical arrogant surgeon to the T. Horrible experience with her! Do NOT go to her!
RID: 1053156
09/12/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Sagan is the best! Had bladder band surgery and was very successful with no pain after. She or her nurse called to check on me for 4 days after coming home. Very personable, treats you with the greatest respect and extremely knowledgeable.
RID: 1034536
15/11/09 5 5 5 5 I have been seeing Dr. Sagan since i was pregnant at had issues with my kidneys. I also have a long long history of stones. After the delivery of my child she I was having alot of kidney and bladder pain, after complaining to my nephrologist and pcp and getting nowhere, she is the only one that would help me. she got all the tests and was able to point me in the right direction with fast and prompt service. she is the only doctor that I know that will take the time to talk to you herself when you call with an issue. She is wonderful and those of you who have an issue should be ashamed.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 890594
18/05/09 4 4 5 5 I saw Dr. Sagan when I was in my 20's. I went to two other male urologists who wrote me off. I had a urethral cyst and one wanted to "lance" it in the office with NO pain medicine. The other kept me coming back every few months stretching my urethra. She could not have been any nicer or kinder. She is kind of matter of fact, but that isn't a bad thing in a dr. She ended up doing surgery on me. She said the stretching is done for 80 year old women and the dr should not have been doing that. Only issue I had, was it took so long to get an appt with her, but it was worth the wait. She is so good, she is usually booked out months in advance. Nothing but positive and I would highly recommend her as well.
RID: 794675
19/02/09 5 5 5 5 my name is michelle, i am totally blown away by these comments...3 years ago i had a hysterectomy the doc. that did my surgery knicked my uretor tube and denied it..Dr.Sagan was the one that took care of me for a year and fixed the screw up with time and patience and eventually surgery...you women have no clue how wonderful this woman really is..you should be ashamed of what you posted about her! Maybe it was your personality that was crap and she figured why bother....think about that one! I needed her help to get me and my family through a rotten situation and thats exactly what she did!!!Oh and by the way i look young for my age too and it had nothing to do with it....thank you so much?
RID: 747594
20/12/08 5 4 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Sagan after a botched bladder surgery. That was about 15 years ago. I am followed up annually by her. She is quite intelligent and I would and have recommended her without a second thought. She takes an active role in not only your bladder but your overall well being. Don't sell her short.
RID: 539054
15/03/08 3 5 2 2 Appt was made quickley, lupus doc sent me about blood in urine. This doc was nice enough, but kind of cold. She did some kind of test, a tube in the bladder and told me that I was fine, that "everyone has some blood in their urine" so, I left with no new knowledge. I hope that she was right....since the problem is still there
RID: 359690
05/07/07 1 1 1 1 I look young for my age, and at the time I saw Dr. Sagan I was around 20 years old. I am now 27, and I will never forget my experience with her. I find that oftentimes people write you off if you're younger (or on the other end of the spectrum, if you're much older). I came to see Dr. Sagan because I had problems resembling a kidney stone. Because of my age, she totally dismissed that possibility - and shoved a tube up my burning urethra and drained urine out of it. There was blood in my urine, but that was ignored and chalked up to "everyone has a little bit." I was in horrible pain, and I started crying. She suggested I see a psychiatrist, because my problems were obviously psychiatric. A few months later, I was hospitalized for 3 days for a kidney stone that would not pass. Since then I've had about 30 of them - Calcium Oxolate. Eventually I found a urologist who took the time to solve my problem - five years later. She was MEAN, RUDE, and WORTHLESS! Don't see her!
Paid (or co-pay): $15