Rate Dr. Anthony T. Carter

Dr. Anthony T. Carter's Ratings

Dr. Carter performed a RTHR for me on 12/22/11. My complaints of hip pain and rotation were ignored. Dr. Carter doesn't listen to his patient's symptoms. My hip dislocated twice just a week apart in February, 6 weeks after surgery. Dr. Carter replaced the Right Hip with a different brand hip on March 1 2012. I have had nothing but problems. Swelling, pain and spasms. Dr. Carter's response to this was he has done all he could do. Dr. Carter's ability is nothing more then that of an assembly line worker. He puts the hips in at a ridicules rate, he is paid by the hip manufactures to promote and use their product which is a conflict of interest for the patient. Dr. Carter isn't a medical doctor, he is a factory doctor, as long as you need a part he's there to slap it in. But if you need true physician to care for you, Dr. Carter is NOT QUALIFIED. Please rethink before you put your life, your ability to walk and your future in his incompetent hands.

Submitted May 23, 2014 | flag

I must say that I think we all feel we are the most important patient. If you consider the amount of patients to 1 doctor ratio I feel he and his staff do a tremendous job.He has been my ortho for a lot of years now and I will have a partial knee done in March. I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Carter. Yes he may seem busy and rushed but has always taken the time needed for treatment and planning. I don't need a friend but I do need a doctor, on that note I"d be honored to consider him a friend.I"ve told people "the man walks on water" maybe a bit much but well deserved.He is the best orthopedic I"ve had to rely on.He straightened out some previous surgery and its been great. I will repost after surgery and I'm sure it will be a great report. You rock Doc , BillyB

Submitted Feb. 11, 2014 | flag

I contacted Dr Carter's office in Nov 2013 after bring told by my PCp and my pain mgmt Dr that my left hip was in danger of dislocation and required a replacement. After hearing all the great recommendations about him I called his office. I was given a consultation appt for...Jan 30,2014! When I explained the imminent urgency of my condition to the somewhat detached sounding receptionist, and that I needed to know soon if Carter could even take me, else I look elsewhere,she gave me Carter's nurse secretary's number & told me to explain in detail my situation & why I desired Carter to perform the procedure, which I did, TWICE, to her VOICE MAIL. I never received a return call, in spite of "we return all calls within 2 business days", & in spite of my reaching out again to the receptionist. In desperation I turned to Atlantic Orthopedics Dr Raymond Payne on Dec 13, who urgently insisted due to the severity of my condition I have the surgery immediately, on Christmas Eve. Sad. True.

Submitted Jan. 22, 2014 | flag

I had my hip replacement 2 years ago and developed pain after initally doing okay. I returned to see doctor carter and was brushed off by his PA and no workup was done. The pain got worse and after not getting any progress I went to another surgeon in Richmond. It seems doctor carter has lots of problems and many of them have to go elsewhere to get corrected. I would caution anyone from undergoing surgery with him and encourage a second opinion with another surgeon.

Submitted Sept. 27, 2013 | flag

I had a total hip replacement with Dr. Carter just two weeks ago, and today I am now walking with no assistance, cane, walker, etc. I am also now taking no pain pills. I cannot imagine any complaints regarding how rushed he was. Sure, he's an incredibly busy guy, but he always took the time to answer all of my questions, both before surgery, and after. My preliminary appointment was actually five miniutes early. He was in my hospital room the night of the surgery at 6:00 pm (exhausted I'm sure), and again the next morning at 6:00 am.

Submitted June 19, 2013 | flag

Dr Carter replaced my hip a year ago this past November ~ people ask how it's doing and my reply is that I don't think about it... now how good is that !

Submitted Feb. 22, 2013 | flag

Got a jiffy hip about 5yrs ago. Carter is always in a hurry but he's a decent guy and a solid doc. My hip is much better than before the replacement but there is always a little pain there...don't think it's the doc's fault though. My only problem was I picked up an infection at Mary Immaculate and it was very difficult to resolve. I would not go back to Mary Immaculate.

Submitted Jan. 26, 2013 | flag

Dr Carter performed bi-lateral hip replacement 7/31/12.He and his team did an awesome job and I've been back to work for a month now.He diagnosed my hip problem when i thought it was my back.I have to give thanks to Mary Immaculant Hospital for patient care and his PA Dr.Eric Resinger.

Submitted Nov. 4, 2012 | flag

Too much in a hurry left clueless to diagnosis and when i asked i was told to make another appt because he was already with next pt

Submitted May 2, 2012 | flag

I had a total knee replacement done by another ortho I had been seeing for 10 years and he messed it up so bad that my knee was stuck at a 45 degree angle. No amount of PT helped and after getting not just one second opinion but four, I realized he bad been lying to me for many months. Dr. Carter was recommended by two other people and after my first meeting with him I knew he was the one I would have do the surgery. After surgery, I was able to straighten my leg which I could not do before and increase my bend about another 10 degrees. It will never be 100 percent but it is better than what it was. I have always been seen by Dr. Carter and it is rare that I wait more than 20-25 minutes before being seen by him. I have never felt rushed by him and he has always taken his time to explain everything to me and answer all my questions. As for the ones who had a failure, it just might be the manufacturer who made a faulty device and not a problem made by Dr. Carter.

Submitted Nov. 23, 2011 | flag