Rate Dr. John Birchard

Dr. John Birchard's Ratings

I have had 3 surgeries from Dr Birchard within the past 4 years. (2 total knee replacements & a shoulder/Rotator repair). He has given me back my mobility which is my life!! You take it all for granted until it is gone. This Surgeon is excellent!! I like his calm direct manner. He explains clearly and frankly what he will do for surgery and what you can expect post-op including your part and the rehab work required. His gentle humor is appreciated. He is approachable and always has taken the time to answer my questions, draw a picture or two and just reassure me when I worry about the outcome. I count my blessings that he has been my surgeon!! I have had excellent recovery without complications. For this I am so grateful! Although I'd like to be 16 again I cherish my mobility in an active and strong older body.
The receptionist has always been cheerful; clear and efficient. Really!! Okay once after they had come back from vacation she seemed a bit overwhelmed when I, in my angst, became a bit self centered re my need for an appointment and surgical date. (My work was being effected). She in an apologetic fashion showed me her stacks of patient consults and surgical requests. Frankly, this office does an amazing job! Our Health care system is set up to manage costs by limiting access and forcing patients to que up for service! The front line services have to deal with our frustration re this when we should be talking to the government. There is much need! And some grief that we will never be 16 again :)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2636025].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 28, 2014

Find that Dr Birchard himself is very pleasant and seems knowledgeable, but something falls through the cracks when it comes to getting a set surgery date. The receptionist is very dogmatic and seems to be making as many decisions about the seriousness of one's pain as does the doctor. Been waiting for nearly a year and a half for surgery and the pain is now affecting everything from joints to blood pressure. Don't know what to advise except: get a definitive surgery date from the day you walk into that office - or go elsewhere.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2632731].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 25, 2014

had an initial consult with this Doctor and found he was excellent, clear, supportive, kind.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2599489].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 30, 2014

I can't comment on the doctor yet as I have not heard back as to when my appointment for my knee is. I have left two voice messages and they don't call back. Really how hard is it to call people back?? It would take about 47 seconds to call me and provide the information I am asking for. All I want to know is when my appointment will be, how hard is that? You have a book with appointment in it, you find an empty space and you put me in there, then you call me back and say your appointment is on..... It appears that the lack of answering/returning phone calls from the staff is a concern of others, wonder if they read this web site? I really can only comment on the Staff, the other 3 categories are guesses at this point, but from others it looks like the Doctor is a good one !

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1077834].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 27, 2013

You don't want to experience a crisis with your particular problem if Dr Birchard is your physician. When he goes away on a holiday, the office is closed completely and your only backup may be to go to the emergency at the hospital. The receptionist, who I believe is his wife, is very curt and inflexible for appointments and appointment changes. The doctor himself seems very knowledgeable, but it seems that surgery is the ultimate goal and other treatments are just stop-gap measures.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1077833].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2013

Have been trying to get into see this Dr based on a referral from another Dr... the receptionist wouldn't even answer the phone after repeated attempts (2 weeks!!) to get an appointment notification from the referral... went into see the Dr and receptionist was snotty and power tripping.. informing me that I will get in when I get in and she's too busy to deal with a referral from THREE weeks ago.Normally I am very patient but when I have already been dealing with excruciating pain for 9 months.. This is needless and I am at the end of my very worn and frayed tether. This IS RIDICULOUS. I hope this DR is as good as the ratings show because his receptionist is very detrimental to his practise.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1077832].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 3, 2013

great surgeon ,explains what he is going to do so paient knows and understands . very pleasant . I would have him do surgery on me if needed again .

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1077831].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 16, 2012

He did total hip arthroplasty on my husband 18 months ago, expertly and without any post-op complications whatsoever. You won't find a better orthopod (if you're lucky enough to know someone knowledgeable on the 'inside' of the system, ask them discretely and you'll hear the same thing: go to John Birchard.)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1077830].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 1, 2012

Dr, Birchard is a great orthopedic surgeon. I have undergone several years of treatment and surgeries on both my knees finally having both knees replaced. He is an extremenly clean Dr. and cares about the enviorment he operates in. My first replacement was very sucessful, My second replacement intially went off without a hitch, but weeks later after suffering a horrific rare complication, Dr. Birchard was fantastic with making himself available, diagnosing and preforming a very difficult sugery after the fact. He even came in to preform the surgery when I refused the on call surgeon, he managed to show up to perform it. To date I am still recovering and undergoing rehabilitation after 8 months and I recommend him anyone who needs proper, professional and thorogh care. He has now operated on three members of my family and all have been succesful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1077829].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 23, 2012

I had a total hip replacement in the fall of 2010. Within 6 months I can walk pain free once again. Dr. Birchard and his staff are outstanding and the level of care and compassion I received amazing. I'd highly recommend Dr. Brichard.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1077828].votes_count ]]