Dr. Allan Carroll

Rate Dr. Allan Carroll

Dr. Allan Carroll's Ratings

Keep in mind I'm speaking from an experience that was 13 yrs ago so policies and practices likely changed.
I was another former patient. I started seeing him from the age of 8-11 and yearly checks till I was 14. My parents took me to see him because I was a C/B student apart from art who preferred to draw in class, and was a very quiet child. I had friends, but was shy and withdrawn in certain situations.(ex: I usually played by myself if I didn't have a friend over). From what I asked of my mom relatives, and knew myself as a kid, I was really well behaved, patient, and rarely caused a fuss.

Anyways he diagnosed me with add for the first while and gave me different meds which only made me drowsy.

A typical session would be me drawing and him asking questions so standard stuff. I don't remember most of them apart from being asked how school was or what my interests were, I do remember him telling me about his daughter who made him the large painting on his wall.
He did tell me one time, very seriously, that I should be causing trouble in the classroom and literally throwing my desk and not to act like a behaved child "in order for the teachers to give you the attention you need" which is very strange advice to be telling a child.

During 5th grade he then diagnosed me as having aspbergers.
I never have agreed with this diagnosis, having done my own research and working with children who were diagnosed with it and autism on all spectrum including those with the same diagnosis. I was also never socially inappropriate, just shy and going to the type of doctor most kids don't see. It's hard to believe that as a child with any kind of awareness "something is wrong with me or else I wouldn't be here"), at worst I could ask forward questions to adults or how I really liked "weird" things in nature.

Looking back on it and knowing myself as I do now (including talking with other people and counselors) it was very much anxiety related. This includes my behaviors (I.e being very shy, not talking out of turn, not doing my homework because I was scared about not pleasing people around me because I did badly or didn't understand the question fully).

***This is the part I want to draw attention to***
So during the end of my 4th year and into 5th he suggested I go into the hospital program. I had a decent enough idea of what it was for. Up until that point I had just been telling them what I thought they wanted to hear, but I was very upset at this idea and was made to go anyways even though they told me and my mother it was more of a "well she's not the kind of child we'd ever have in our program, but we want to see if she'll do well in it"

I remember very clearly all of the children there had either severe disabilities or behavioral problems. Mainly anger problems and inability to cope properly which I definitely did not have (definitely not a problem I had) one had anger problems relating to his ocd I believe, another was a committed child who lived there because he was very violent at home, and another young girl I believe had been molested by someone would talk about cutting things and watching them bleed.

I remember going to the school class one day and breaking down when I had difficulty with a math problem because being there made me feel like I wasn't good enough.
That said the teachers and staff were all very kind and something positive from the experience.

I still made friends with everyone and never had any of the children get angry while with me, apart from the boy with ocd who got angry because we tied.

I was there for 6 months before they decided I didn't actually need to be there, but apparently the kids there did a lot better when they were around me according to them, and 5th grade was the grade where I was popular including at the super Christian school I went to after, so all is well I suppose. Being sent there though did terrible things to my self-esteem and made me withdraw, until I was old enough to understand I shouldn't.

Again the staff was very lovely and kind from my experience(I really want to emphasize this), but I'm upset about the diagnoses and the decision to put me in a program I didn't need to be at the time as I feel it is one factor that influenced my issues in a negative way as time went on.
I don't recall him ever being excessively late,.
I'm sure he's very knowledgeable, but I truly believe his diagnoses for me were incorrect and the decision to put me in the hospital program was not the correct choice. However this was at a time where the lower end of the autism and attention disorders were still being heavily researched and kind of a "newer" thing, so I understand and don't hold any resentment despite what my essay long post may imply.
If I had not moved to another province I would like to visit again to catch up and say hello to the staff if they're still there, as well as discuss the notes he took at the time mainly for my own curiosity and as a reference point.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2641927].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 4, 2014

Awesome DR Both my sons and my nephew see him and he is amazing and so informative!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086437].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 3, 2013

I just can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Carroll and his staff! He was wonderful with our very difficult 3 year old and offered us a great deal of insight. This man is SMART, attentive, and thorough. While I am sorry that some of the other reviewers were not as happy with Dr. Carroll as we were, I can't think of one thing negative about our appointment. He walked us through our son's history and helped us to see through his troubling behavior so we can get closer to the cause of his rages. He is not a pill pusher by any stretch but helped to educate us in our decision to medicate our son for his (and our) safety. He spoke in depth about our sons ASD and TS and we left the office with an armful of books and pamphlets and feeling more optimistic than we had in months. Thank you so much to Dr. Carroll and his nurse, Debbie. You are doing a great job.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086436].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2013

We see Dr.C for 3 children. Luckily, new drugs have come out in the last decade that don't have the bad side effects that the old ones did & we see them working. No drugs can fix the disorders but they help make it manageable until the brain develops enough to manage without them. Our children are reaching their full potential now & feel better about themselves. We also do CBT with a psychologist there. Dr. C is a psychiatrist. He is often late but he works crazy hours. One of our children is in the hospital & we see him doing rounds in the early morning & again at 7 in the evening on 4 diff. hospital wards. He sees patients every day of the week except Sat unless he is on call then he is there on Sat too. We have had plenty of emergency visits & he sees us right away. He takes the time to deal with our fears so I do not begrudge him for being late as he is probably helping another family with their crisis. The more I research the disorders, the more I respect & appreciate his methods.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086435].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 25, 2013

We found Dr.Carroll to be very pleasant although in our situation I can't say he was very helpful. We took our son to see him on a regular basis for a year,it was a waste of our time. When I phoned him he did not return my calls. Later I found out he had lost all my son's paper work, maybe this is why he never called back. After that we gave up and found help eles where.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086434].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 25, 2012

I would not recommend Dr. Carroll for children with ADHD. He is not knowledgeable in this area and did little to help our son beyond trying medications. He did not understand tritration nor was he available to us when the various medications he prescribed had side effects. (His nursing staff is, however, excellent, although very busy.) He was never on time for an appointment and was always running late, but this seems to be a constant with almost every doctor we've ever seen. My biggest regret was that Dr. Carroll knew that our son had ADHD yet did not suggest we put him into the ADHD Clinic at the Glenrose. His final comments to our son were so unhelpful and demeaning that I would not recommend him to anybody I cared about.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086433].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 19, 2012

Well I was 7 when I first met him. So because this wasn't my parents area of expertise they took me to see him. With in an hr I was on Paxel or Lithium or Zoloft (there where so many I cant keep track) and shortly after he put me in the Glenrose child Psychiatric ward. He diagnosed me with right brain syndrome, and said I was promiscuous (Which where wrong). Yes, I was 8 by then. 8 and I apparently was a s**t.ha!. Anyway, So I asked and asked "when am I getting out"? He said something mysterious like "when you find a cherry with no seed". Well,that was easy. Regardless,he denied me the right to go home to my parents. My parents got sucked in to his "charm" and listened. I was in there for 1 year and a half. Various meds. After that 3 more times.I had no schooling, I was at kindergarten level till I wit gr 5. What I really have is ADHD.He is a FRAUD! I have since graduated from MacEwan, and am a TRVL agent. Hey Dr. Carroll I'm not a **** like you thougt!(Fraud!Pathetic!Undeserving!)

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086439].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 7, 2011

I have been a patient of Dr. Carroll's for a long time. He has been good to me. Friendly manner, genuinely cares for my mental health and never seems rushed. Not just a "pill pusher", he once lowered the dose of a drug I was taking. The drugs he does prescribe actually helps, and he and I talk during visits. Only complaint is that his office staff are hard to get a hold of and you have to book appointments months in advance, but that's a small price to pay for good care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086432].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 10, 2011

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086438].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 8, 2011

Was so good with my daughter. He took the time to listen and was never judgemental. Extremely knowledgeable and caring!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1086431].votes_count ]]