Dr. Steven Abelowitz

Grad. Year: 1994

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 02/09/11    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.4 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 31 reviews. Dr. Steven Abelowitz has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2204575
05/06/12 3 4 3 4 We selected Dr. Abelowitz as our son's pediatrician based on excellent online reviews and great feedback from pediatric nurses at Hoag Hospital. But everytime a different dr. sees you. The reason is that Dr. Abelowitz is usually busy which is a code for Dr. Abelowitz will likely not see your kid, it will be a different Dr. Also, if you go to his clinic, you will see that it is a commercial establishment - lots of parents, full of kids and everytime you will likely get a different Dr. unless you ask for the same one except Dr. Abelowtiz himself. So if you want a clinic where you get in and you get out, on time and someone sees you and it does not matter who the dr. is, THIS IS THE PLACE. However, if you want personalized attention, one on one interaction, a more intimate feel where your call is given importance to and not treated like any patient call - then THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. Again, I am not saying that they are bad Dr., just that their way of treating patients is such.
RID: 2094763
30/04/12 5 5 5 5 Great person & Wonderful Doctor, He is the doctor for both my boys & my younger one had a heart defect and needed a surgery and in the process we had to see Dr Abelowitz soo many times, He is such a nice person & very knowledgable & on top of everything realted to children.He pnly sent us the BEST doctors when my son needed to see the pediatric specialities my son needed. He is so caring. The nurses are great. Whole staff looks like they love what they do..I am soo GLAD we found him...
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2018395
13/04/12 5 5 5 5 CONCERNS WE HAD PRIOR TO MEETING THIS MD RESOLVED AFTER INTERVIEW. The negative comments posted made us uneasy about Coastal Kids BUT we decided to meet with Dr. Abelowitz because he was highly recommended by our OB, Lactation Consultant, family members & friends. There are 2 waiting rooms- well room & sick room, the office is clean, the office staff is friendly & Dr. Abelowitz is very professional & an excellent listener. We discussed the concerns that past patients posted online & he received the comments well & addressed each of the concerns eloquently. Dr. Abelowitz is kind, patient & addressed all our questions. Vaccinations are a big topic for us & Dr. Abelowitz is flexible about doing these at intervals vs. all at once. Dr. Abelowitz's medical practice has other excellent MD's on staff who are available after hours. The office philosophy for patient care is based on medical research & American Pediatrics Assn. We feel confident about our decision to have selected Coastal Kids.
RID: 1769558
20/03/12 5 4 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz has been great to work with. As a new mom, I come in with a list of questions and Dr. Abelowitz takes the time to answer every one of them and puts me at ease as you explains his answers to me. I opted to spread out my son's vaccinations and Dr. Abelowitz was supportive with my decision and we agreed on an alternative schedule I am very pleased with. I am very happy with our decision to have Dr. Abelowitz at Coastal Kids to be our provider to our little one.
RID: 1702335
01/02/12 5 5 5 5 Excellent. His bedside manner is excellent, he knows A TON about issues both big and small and because we have 3 children and a range of issues to handle (ages newborn - 4 years) we've benefitted from his knowledge extensively. He also runs on time!
RID: 1697460
26/01/12 5 5 5 5 I am a mother of three children. We have been under the care of Dr. Abelowitz since our oldest was born 6 years ago. He knowledge, professionalism, and care towards our children has been outstanding. We had a bit of a scare with our middle child during her first year in life and Dr. Abelowitz was very proactive and made us feel at ease during this time. We feel that our children are in the best hands when it comes to dealing with their health. His staff is also very warm and friendly and we are always greeted by name when we go into the office.
RID: 1696851
25/01/12 5 4 5 5 Pregnant with my second child, I interviewed several doctors after having lost our first child to SIDS at 5 months with another peditrician who never even called with concern about our loss. Dr. Abelowitz by far was the most caring, professioanl and knowledgeable doctor that I could find. He has been our peditrician now for 10 years and both he and his staff have always been extremely helpful and responsive whenever we needed any assistance. I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Abelowitz and Coastal Kid for their great service to the children of our community!
RID: 1696355
25/01/12 5 5 5 5 Dr Abelowitz has been the pediatrician for my 2 children since 1998. I want to say that Dr Abelowitz and his entire staff have been the most caring and professional team that I could have ever hoped for. If my children are sick or need anything, Dr Abelowitz will see them no matter what. In fact, he often calls after hours to ensure that they are doing okay. My children have had many issues over the years and I have been extremely happy with Dr Abelowitz's medical services. He truly cares for my family and I'm extremely grateful that he has been there for us. Sincerely, Candace Dandeneau
RID: 1687880

16/01/12 4 4 1 1 Dr. Abelowitz seems to be another doctor whom has a huge ego and God complex. He seems to have a very good disposition until you ask a question or have the desire to have input on your children’s care. His demeaning and threatening behavior towards my wife and I was both unprofessional and quite frankly very disturbing. My wife and I interviewed Dr. Abelowitz before our twin boys were born. Our largest concern was the vaccine schedule and he reassured us that he would work with our wishes. At the 6mo WELLNESS visit Dr. Abelowitz became so upset, that we wanted to delay the vaccines he threatened us and told us we were being unfit parents and he would no longer see our children. Did he ask if I was a micro-biologist with a Doctorate degree from MIT? No! Instead he insisted we had no idea the danger we were putting our children and others at risk… In my opinion, Doctors with this attitude are very dangerous and I would think twice before having Dr. Abelowitz see my children.
Respond

27/09/10 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1048554
03/12/09 4 5 5 5 Dr Abelowitz and the Coastal Kids practice have been wonderful and everything that I had wanted for the care of my son. I interviewed Dr. Abelowitz prior to the birth of my son & chose him and his practice above the 5 other practices. Dr. Abelowitz made sure that my son was seen in the hospital after birth which was important to us. My son recently contracted the swine flu and the care he received was fantastic. We went from a frighening situation to one that was manageable as my son quicky recovered with the treatment and oversight he received. I chose this practice for numerous reasons-compassionate care, knowledge, expertise, bedside manner, clean facilities, ability to be seen in emergency illness situations on the same day, weekend availability, help line, etc. As another rater stated, I trust the life of my child with this doctor and the drs at the Coastal Kids practice. My son loves Dr. Abelowitz along with nurse Anna---the fastest vaccine shot giver in OC. Thanks Dr. A
RID: 1048217
02/12/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz is by far the most ethical, intelligent, experienced and dedicated physician I have ever known. Being that Dr. Abelowitz has cared for my 3 children from birth, I have experienced first hand how he approaches patient care and the practice of medicine. Whether dealing with a situation as grave as my 11 month old daughter's mass on her spinal cord or one as common as my son's ear infections, Dr. Abelowitz has always provided me with both sound medical advice and guidance. He is always clear, patient and reassuring in his verbal delivery of the treatment plan. Dr. Abelowitz has achieved the balance of meeting both the needs of his patients and their parents by being gentle, nurturing and approachable with his little patients while maintaining an expert knowledge of pediatrics for his parents. I find any negative comments about Dr. Abelowitz to be utterly untrue and morally reprehensible. Dr. Abelowitz is professionally and personally what all doctors should aspire to be.
RID: 1047313
01/12/09 5 5 5 5 I have 3 kids & Dr.Abelowitz is my kids’ pediatrician for the past 9 years. He is the best Dr. in Orange County! He is not just smart, he is also friendly & the kids love him! I recommended many patients to him & they all love him. If someone writes something bad about him it is pure jealousy! This Dr. is so successful, successful, so I’m sure there are some jealous people around!  Respond
RID: 1047152
01/12/09 5 5 5 5 It seems the person who left the negative comment about Dr. Abelowitz doesn't really know anything about his practice nor the satisfaction of his patients and their families. For the integrity of this web site, someone should look into this negative comment and find out if it is a legitimate patient or someone with a chip on their shoulder.
RID: 1045948
30/11/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz is an attentive and caring physician. He is an excellent listener and has a wonderful bedside manner. He always asks me if I have any concerns or questions and answers them thoroughly. I am so grateful that we found him. My daughter was born one month premature and I credit his care and diligence for her excellent health today. I would recommend him to anyone!
RID: 1043238
25/11/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz has been my pediatrician for 5 years. Any normal mother who has gone into this office and had their child treated by Dr. Abelowtiz or any of his associates knows the practice is without a doubt the best in Orange County. He is extremely knowledgable, attentive to concerns and is extremely proactive. I used to live in OC and am now living 25 miles farther away, yet still drive 45 minutes to take my son to him. I have referred him to numerous friends with children, and all have the same comments. Anyone that chooses to slander him and his practice should get a life and do some research. Awards, articles and face to face experience don't lie.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1043073
25/11/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz and his staff are amazing!! I have two young children and he has taken time to answer all of my questions and concerns. He correctly diagnosed a dermoid cyst on my son's skull when other doctors had said that it was nothing. My children love him and feel comfortable with him. I have only had positive experiences with Dr. Abelowitz. I would recommend him to anyone that needs a great doctor.
RID: 1041762
24/11/09 5 5 5 5 I am mother of 4 and my children are seen by Dr. Steven Abelowitz. I know this statement is totally incorrect and slanderous. The ONE time somebody tried to sue Dr. Abelowitz, the case was dropped for two reasons; because he was NOT at fault and he actually ended up saving the persons life. I think it's important to make sure your facts are accurate before you go posting them in a public forum.  Respond
RID: 1040956
23/11/09 1 1 1 1 This doctor charges fees to get a flu shot and then an office visit. He's been sued twice for malpractice.  See Responses
RID: 859332
12/04/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz has cared for our 3 boys for the last 11 years. He and his staff have always provided us with excellent service and medical attention. Whenever our needs were beyond the normal check ups or sick visits he and the other doctors in his office were available to us. When we had to deal with emergency room visits and surgical needs, again Steven was there throughout the entire process helping us understand our options. We have always found the office staff to be courteous and professional. We have never experienced any difficulties with billings and our insurance carrier.
RID: 856539
08/04/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz and his staff have the perfect combination of excellent bedside manner with our infant daughter and a direct reassuring way of communicating with us as first time parents. All well child visits, as well as a recent medical emergency (in the middle of the night on a weekend), have been handled with genuine care and professionalism that exceed our expectations. We have complete confidence in the care they provide for our daughter and that is a great comfort.
RID: 852414
04/04/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Steven Abelowitz is one of the most warm and compasionate and knowledgeable doctors I have ever been to. I had an infant with RSV and do not know what have done if it was not for him and his staff guiding me through this horrible nightmare. Dr. Abelowitz caught in in the very early stages so their for my child did not have to be hospitalized. He is one of the best diagnostic pediatricians in the area I feel. You also never have a problem getting an appointment even on the weekends, which to a mom is a blessing. There is not another Doctor that I would ever go to.
RID: 850822
02/04/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz and his staff are caring and compassionate and above all experts in their field. I am a nurse and have 4 children, my oldest just left for college this year. Having been with Dr. Kagnoff initially we took a short hiatus when the practice was taken over. Coming back when Coastal Kids started was the best decision we ever made. MY children love the comfortable and caring easy manner of the doctors and staff while I enjoy getting the "right diagnosis and treatment 100% of the time". It saddens me to read the negative comments about price for the care of excellent service. These people are obviously misinformed and don't understand their own insurance policy. I feel bad for doctors. As a nurse I make double what a doctor makes for a visit. It is the insurance companies we should be looking at. Doctors should be paid for what they do. It is shameful that these people think their children are not worth the small price we have to pay for excellent health care services.
RID: 848769
31/03/09 4 4 5 5 Dr Abelowitz is a wonderful caring knowledgable physician. I have three children.. one with special needs.. he has been nothing but professional, kind and caring with all three of my children. I have been to many many pediatricians but none that I have the confidence in that I have in Dr Abelowitz..I would recommend him highly..  Respond
RID: 845453
28/03/09 4 3 5 5 I have been with Steven Abelowitz since his practice began. He has never wavered in his commitment to personal care and to providing quality and cutting edge/current healthcare to my four children. His staff and associate doctors are attentive and also knowledgeable. Yes, sometimes you may need to wait in the waiting room a bit longer than anticipated, but you also get that extra care when you are on the other side working with the doctor. It is a small price to pay for quality healthcare. I appreciate the high level of service provided by his caring group. When it comes to the health of my children, I am willing to pay a premium for great healthcare and service.
RID: 843723
26/03/09 4 4 5 5 I am so impressed with Dr. Abelowitz and the care he gives to his patients. It is evident that he truly cares about each and every one and takes time to examine their needs and find solutions to their problems. Great bed-side manner and really gets down on the level of the kids. He is extremely knowledgeable in his field and very passionate about what he does. It brings me great comfort to know he is our doctor and if we ever needed anything, he would be there.
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 843137
26/03/09 5 5 5 5 he is one of the best dr out there,takes good care of my child, responsible on time and follows up on anything. Lets not forget about the helpfull staff.
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 802678
27/02/09 2 4 1 1 Not a great doctor and does not bill corectly. He was nice but didnt do a very good job with my friend Kates leg.
Paid (or co-pay): $2500
RID: 721544
13/11/08 1 3 4 4 Dr. Abelowitz is nice but he takes on too many patients and it is difficult to actually see him. We usually got another doctor in the office for sick visits. The biggest problem is his office staff. His office tried to charge me for what I considered a bogus "test" which my insurance company disallowed. The so called "test" was a questionnaire that I filled out consisting of 15 questions describing early Autism symptoms. The kind of questions most pediatricians just informally ask the parent. $77 for that! When I refused to pay the office manager tried to INTIMIDATE me into paying by threatening to send me to "COLLECTIONS". I don't intimidate easily and I know my rights but I think most people would have trusted the office and paid. When my insurance company finally convinced then that the fee was not responsibility and that the insurance company would fight for me they told me they were dropping my insurance company.
RID: 641869
18/07/08 2 1 2 2 Abelowitz is subprime HMO service at Cadillac PPO prices. All form, no substance. His nickel and dime practice has left us feeling raped. This office would charge you to breathe the air in the waiting room if they could. Credit card charges are 3% extra, school verifications are $25 extra, phone calls are $25, and as a farewell present, they charge $35 for medical records to leave a practice. WHAT KIND OF SO-CALLED PEDIATRICIAN WITHHOLDS CHILDREN'S MEDICAL RECORDS FOR A FEE??? My son's last physical at this clinic started 30 minutes late, after which we had a marathon appointment with a dr's assistant. For this my insurance was charged nearly $1000. I suppose they would need all this money as they have spent a lot of money making their wait rooms pretty. So if pretty waiting rooms are what you want, go with Abelowitz because you'll be spending a lot of time there!
RID: 529795
04/03/08 3 1 2 3 even if you have first am appointment they run 30-40 minutes late. they charge you for everything. From an extra 3% paying with a credit card, to $25 to have the doctor call you back. The Dr's don't take time to look through the course of the child's file to find what is wrong and what worked and didn't. Instead they are quick to write a scrip for antibiotics without seeing that they didn't work previously. There is no follow through on the child unless you are the advocate for that. Which of course every parent should be but shouldn't the doctor be as well? Aren't they in a partnership as well. Not the case here.
RID: 327146
24/05/07 4 5 5 Dr. Abelowitz and all the staff at Coastal Kids are amazing...they take their time with both the children and parents, are very knowledgable, very detail oriented, and make going to the doctor a pleasant experience! We actually have friends of the family who have flown in from Japan to have their infant see Dr. Abelowitz. Yes, he's that good! You're not just another patient in this office...your child is a person. Just moved to a larger office in Newport...  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user