Dr. Shery Zener

Dr. Shery Zener's Ratings

Ahjjbhbhggjbggbjjbbgjjvjgvgmgmgmvmgmgmgvmgvgvmvmgmgvm

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2554439].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2014

I'm surprised to see even a single good review here. Zero sympathy, zero patience, zero professionalism. As someone who suffers from social anxiety and depression&general anxiety, she did nothing to make me feel comfortable. In fact, My anxiety always intensified after seeing her. I considered reporting her but settled for just cancelling treatment. I think all her patients end up cancelling on her, which is why those of us on the UofT waitlist often get stuck with her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2442155].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 13, 2014

Doctor Zener is a serious and professional psychiatrist. Her manner may be very formal, but she is thorough and asks questions with the intention of providing the best patient care. I saw Dr. Zener for treatment of ADD. She discussed the options for treatment with me and followed up to ensure the outcomes were good. At the time I saw Dr. Zener, I was experiencing other problems that she assisted with helpfully and very knowledgeably. Before attending at Dr. Zener's office, I read other reviews on this site. Dr. Zener has never asked me the same question twice, though she does ask many questions. I was 8 minutes late to an appointment once, and the reviews here left me terrified of the consequences. Dr. Zener was completely understanding about my tardiness and it was not an issue. I am entirely satisfied with Dr. Zener.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107777].votes_count ]]

Submitted Jan. 2, 2014

Dr. Zener is one of the absolute best psychiatrists. She goes above & beyond the call of duty to diagnose her patients & ensure that they have the appropriate care. Dr. Zener knows more than only her area of specialty & ensures that both the mental and physical health of her patients are taken care of, as well as being available to them when needed. She is patient, honest, kind, empathic & a lifesaver. I have read the disgruntled, highly inappropriate comments made & disagree with them wholeheartedly. Psychiatry is both a science & art form, requiring acceptance on the patient's behalf to accept that they have a mental health illness & to be open to being diagnosed & treated. Most people suffering with mental illness are not so willing & end up in a psychiatrist's office by virtue of referral by a GP. Those unhappy with Dr. Zener were truly unwilling to face reality, accept treatment & help. Shame on them for defaming a doctor who truly saves lives.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107776].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 20, 2013

Waited for months to see her through the school (Oct to May) after being told CAPS were the ones to talk too, she talked to me for all of five minutes, decided I "probably don't have a learning disability" and that it may just be comorbidity of other issues, told me it was great meeting me, and left me no opportunity for a followup. Now I'm in trouble with OSAP, and out of school until I pay back the tuition difference because I'm no longer a student with a learning disability. I only needed to renew my medication and re-affirm my diagnosis for Accessibility Services.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107775].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 22, 2013

I booked an appointment at U of T because I struggle with depression and anxiety, and was having trouble coping with school. Rather than provide any kind of support, treatment plan, coping mechanisms, advice, ANYTHING... she said to me, "You're depressed. You need to get over it. And if you can't, you need to drop out." Maybe she was going for "tough love", but it came across as incredibly cold-hearted and not understanding of depression or anxiety. Oh, and she didn't even have tissues! It was a horrible experience, and has put me off seeking help through U of T.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107782].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2013

Dr. Zener may be qualified for individuals who seek answers to problems that they, themselves, can answer if given the right prompt, but for others who require decent rapport (that is, a doctor-patient relationship), Dr. Zener fails one of the most basic & essential tasks necessary for a mental-health specialist. Psychiatrists are privileged with the right to treat with both medication & therapy, however, many end up heavily relying on drugs to do the job simply because it is less time & effort. That is, for them. Therapy is proven to be as effective as medication (with lower chances of relapse & without the potential side effects) for treating many disorders, so gaining the trust of a patient can be crucial. To do so, rapport is necessary. If a therapist is unwilling to take the necessary steps to understand your needs, as Dr. Zener has proven herself to be, then try someone else. A mental health doctor should be that supportive well-advised friend, not some drug dealing stranger.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107781].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 17, 2013

Dr. Zener was truly terrible. I was more anxious going to see her than before. She was consistently late and had no warmth or empathy. Even after a few sessions there was no clear treatment goals or plan.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107774].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 4, 2013

Shockingly bad. She shows not a single attempt to make connections, does not listen to you at all, cuts your words in between to get answers for her ridiculously repeated-again-and-again questions, always late on time, and presents no efforts to help you. I gave seven tries with her, hoping it might get better, but I seriously regret that I wasted my time for nothing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1107780].votes_count ]]