Dr. John Copen

Rate Dr. John Copen

Dr. John Copen's Ratings

It is probably not the support staff's fault but he is consistently late, if he actually decides to show up. He will give patient and other Mds incorrect information based on his initial impression and before test results and opinions of a more qualified Md. have been received. To say he is unprofessional is one of the more glaring understatements that can be gleaned from comments. In a case I am close to, a misdiagnoses was passed on before final tests proved something entirely different. This may have something to do with his "god complex". This is dangerous and it can be concurred by others in his speciality. Not only does he pass on incorrect and damaging information on client/patient but he can be very inappropriate with comments and actions.

Submitted April 6, 2013 | flag

I'm alarmed at all the unpleasant ratings... As soon as I walked into UVic's psych area, I thought 'God I hope that's my psychiatrist' about this man patiently listening to a very depressingly frantic hypochondriac. I realized that was why he was running behind so much - he simply gives patients as much of his time as he can. He seemed like he was pulling little tricks/tests on me in order to diagnose me, at the cost of making himself appear a bit of an arse (he came to the quick conclusion I have social anxiety disorder, and was spot on about my Bipolar I disorder [diagnosed twice previously]. I'm kind of annoyed that he kept saying I use big words & acted like I used them incorrectly (he told me I had never experienced anaphylaxis when I mentioned it- but I just now realized that he had just been speaking with a blatant hypochondriac before seeing me) but all in all, he was amazing, because he spent THREE freaking hours with me, and I would have been fine with a half hour...

Submitted March 23, 2013 | flag

He always writes his prescriptions wrong and the pharmacists have to clarify his orders. LEARN TO USE A COMPUTER! Why don't you read your own writing??!! Your crappy writing makes me wait twice as long at the pharmacy as other dr's.

Submitted June 1, 2012 | flag

he never contacted my family doc for two years.the nurses for the tv visit thinks he is wierd.iwent to see him in t bay to ask a simple question and acted like he didnt know me,my doc ask him for his assment and three times denied. that was 2006 still no reply to doc.two years seeing him and no report,does not want to do his paper work. had a new secretary ever time went in, somthing is really wrong with his work ethics.run if his name comes up aslo has a methadon liesce very scary

Submitted Dec. 12, 2011 | flag

not all there .does not report back to your md.thinks he is above the medical board of canada .but is way down below the proper standards.

Submitted Feb. 7, 2010 | flag

Dr Copen was the WORST dr I ever saw!! He quickly made his judgments about me and would not change them. He accused me of things that were not true, such as skipping appointments because I was mad at him..uhg why would i make an appointment and call in sick if i was mad? wouldnt I just not make another appointment? He's supposed to be a chronic pain specialist, I saw no evidence of that...small children could see i was in true pain, but he thought i was faking...btw dr copen, I'm up for back surgery...so you were WRONG AGAIN! He was not comassionate, not helpful. I was in my early 20s then, and I finally asked my parents to come with me, they couldnt believe him! He still wouldnt budge on his judgements of me...which were wrong, and my parents tryed to tell him so, he was rude to them, wouldnt fully answer questions that made him look bad, and got really uspet and just shuffled thru papers. We hated him so much i was better off not seeing him than seeing him.That was the last appt

Submitted Dec. 1, 2009 | flag

I have seen doctor Copen several times by telahealth. He has never been on time and my half hour appt's are usually about 10 to 15 min. I often find his comments unproffesional and inappropriate. His main focus is meds and typing on his computer.He is imposible to contact and does not return calls if you do manage to get an answering machine. Often seems arrogant.I think he is only concerned about how much money he can make by seeing as many patients as possible. I'm sure he is overpaid for the 10 min appointments. I only see him because there is no other doctor available.

Submitted March 1, 2009 | flag

Dr. Copen was and is the greatest doctor I have ever been to. The wait time was always worth it as he knew exactly what to say and what to do to help you.

Submitted Feb. 24, 2008 | flag

I also saw Dr. Copen via telehealth a couple of years back. Despite it not being a face-to-face meeting, I felt comfortable and accepted by him. He was quick to get to the heart of what I was saying, and he offered me advice that truly helped me. I felt very hopeful after seeing him. Like others have said, it seems that his follow-up is not reliable, and his paperwork skills are not efficient. In my opinion, though, he is a talented and compassionate pdoc, which in this day and age, seem to be a rare commodity.

Submitted Feb. 22, 2008 | flag

wait time was minimum 1.5 hours after scheduled appointment; very quick to judge; picks most recent 'fad' illness; quick to treat for extremes without looking at the whole picture; staff couldn't even speak english

Submitted Sept. 28, 2007 | flag