Rate Dr. Michael S. Downey

Dr. Michael S. Downey's Ratings

My experience with Dr. Downey has not been good. I went in to have one hammer toe repaired 10 months ago. As of today, I am unable to walk without pain. The pain is much worse now than before he performed the surgery. I can no longer do all the things I once loved. There are no more long walks, or hikes. His wait time is off-the-charts! Expect to wait anywhere from 2 to 4 hours before he can see you. Maybe he was good at one time but I highly recommend doing your research and go somewhere else.

Submitted Aug. 12, 2014 | flag

Dr. Downey is everything everyone has stated about him! He is truly an outstanding physician and surgeon who puts his patient first. This combined with his extraordinary skills as a doctor and surgeon leads to his great results. I was a little leery about the reports of long waits for Dr. Downey, but my experiences have been very good. There usually is a little bit of a wait in his waiting room, but when you're there, all you hear is the other patients talking about their pain relief and successful results with this gem of a doctor! I also have learned to call ahead about an hour before my appointment time to see if the doctor is on time. His office staff lets me know exactly when to come in when I do this, I hardly ever have to wait. I had botched bunion surgery by another surgeon,on both of my feet, and Dr. Downey has now fixed both feet. I can now walk and run without pain and in normal shoes. I can even wear a small heel without any pain at all! Thank you Dr. Downey!

Submitted Sept. 27, 2013 | flag

Dr. Downey is an extremely knowledgeable and accomplished surgeon...I recommend him highly. The staff and scheduling headaches are another thing. If you are patient and don't mind waiting 6-9 months to have your surgery...then you are good. It takes 4 months to get your first appointment, then 30 days for each subsequent appt. One office staff member is rude. I went to another surgeon because of the staff member and feeling frustrated that after waiting so long to get to the point of being able to schedule surgery, I was chastised by a rude secretary for not making up my mind at the last appt...therefore I had to have yet another appointment in another 30+ days...and on it went like this. Dr. Downey deserves better support from his staff.

Submitted Sept. 13, 2013 | flag

I've been a patient of Dr. Downey's since 2007. I've recently had my 4th surgery and I must say that Dr. Downey is the best!! Although he is a surgeon he attempts all other non-surgical interventions first. Furthermore, he takes the time to explain everything in great detail so that you get a good understanding of everything. His staff is extremely nice and very helpful!! I would recommend him to everyone!

Submitted Aug. 11, 2013 | flag

Dr. Downey seems really nice, but it does not seem genuine. I had bunion surgery a year ago because of foot pain. Now, I still have the foot pain in the exact same places, making me question the point of the surgery. He is a little paternalistic in his interactions with women. And the wait times are RIDICULOUS!! By the time you see him, you could have gone to NY to see a foot doctor there. The whole experience has not been worth it at all for me. Look elsewhere for a doctor that truly RESPECTS his patients instead of being nice to them after making them wait 3 hours.

Submitted July 6, 2013 | flag

Dr. Downey is by far the best doctor I have ever experienced in my life. He is kind, considerate, and patient. He explains everything in a way you can understand and always has a smile. His residents are wonderful,too. I know others have written about the overall wait time but I never mind because he is truly the best in his field.

Submitted May 12, 2013 | flag

I was sent to see Dr. Downey by Dr. Mahan, who did three surgeries on my foot and felt it was time for me to get another opinion. He told me Dr. Downey was one of the best so I did go and see him. He was very kind and considerate and explained to me that if I could no longer live with the pain he would take half my foot off for me. I decided not to go through with it but after another surgery failed, I am thinking of going back to see Dr. Downey to see what he can do for me. Dr. Mahan thinks this is what I should do, he highly respects Dr. Downey and know that I will be in the best of hands. When a surgeon sends you to see another surgeon, you know he must be a great Dr. I have confidence that Dr. Downey will be able to help me. The pain is really getting unbearable.

Submitted Dec. 2, 2012 | flag

I was referred to Dr. Downey by a friend of mine. She warned me of the horrible wait times. The first time I was in the office for 3 1/2 hours! Dr. Downey was very good but still! The second appointment I made for early in the morning at a suburban location. Dr. Downey arrived 45 minutes after the first scheduled appointment! The receptionist took patients as they checked in. I arrived early as I had a meeting. There were 3 patients ahead of me. The receptionist was on the telephone and said she would be with me in a minute. In the meantime, two other patients arrived and she checked them in ahead of me.I was the sixth patient of the morning and I waited over 2 hours to see Dr. Downey. I think he is very good but his scheduling is awful. I will have to find another physician because I can't sit around all day waiting for a podiatrist. If I had a rare cancer that would be one thing but a podiatrist????

Submitted June 22, 2012 | flag

I HAD HIM AS MY DOCTOR OVER 12 YEARS. I THINK HE WAS THE BEST PODIATRIST, I EVER KNEW.HE HONEST, HE EXPLAIN EVERY THING HE GOING TO DO FOR SURGERY BEFOR HE DOSE IT. OR IF YOU NEED SURGERY OR NOT.HE'S THERE FROM THE BEGINING TO THE END.HE GET YOU BACK ON YOUR FEET, BEFORE YOU NOW IT.HE DID SURGERY ON MY ANKLE & FOOT. AND HAD ME UP & WALKING IN TIME FOR MY BROTHER'S WEDDING. I HAPPY WITH HIS WORK

Submitted April 23, 2012 | flag

Great! Awesome doctor, but have had to wait 2 hours each time i went before i got to see him even tho i had an appointment.

Submitted April 21, 2012 | flag