Rate Dr. Sherwood M. Chetlin

Dr. Sherwood M. Chetlin's Ratings

I was shocked when I read the prior reviews that is why I am taking the time out of my day to tell everyone about my visit to Dr. Chetlin. I was seen right away and he spent over 1.5 hrs with me. He was intelligent, direct and passionate. I went to him after going to the Lupus center of excellence. I was told I had Lupus but I didn't have any other symptoms except Raynauds and memory problems, no joint pain, anxiety issues. My ana came back positive but my values were significantly low. Dr. Chetlin was my second opinion. He told me I had mixed connective tissue disease. Even though it states that from the lupus center the doctor never explained that to me. I was scared of course but mctd is a mild form of lupus. Meaning symptoms of severe lupus may never occur. He gave me my peace and he educated me on it. He didn't rush to put me on pills and he listened to me explain my symptoms. I had a good experience with him.

Submitted June 25, 2014 | flag

After reading the posts, I'm feeling better about my experience. I had been referred to him by 2 physicians regarding fibro/lupus. I waited for him in the room with no idea how the next hour would go. For the next 50-60 minutes, I had an aggressive, angry man screaming in my face about the "dope" that I take (my prescribed pain medication by my PCP) and continued about how he spends his day "wiping other doctors' asses". He got in my face, making me uncomfortable and feeling vulnerable as I was in a small room with this man raging on. Through his rant, he made disparaging comments about my other physicians, who he admittedly didn't know all; of which are respected physicians I have seen for years. It was an experience like I have never had before. As someone with baseline anxiety, screaming at patient for an hour does not exactly abide by the hypocritic oath - first do no harm. If he is a good doctor, it is not worth the potential for abuse. I advise anyone to stay away from this man.

Submitted Nov. 30, 2012 | flag

After reading the last post, I had to comment. I experienced EXACTLY the same behavior with him a few months back.I have NEVER had a dr. or any other professional speak to me like that--aggressive,humiliating,literally right in-your-face screaming. Also totally missed my diagnosis which caused me needless suffering and self-doubt for months.Told my PCP and new rheumy and they were SHOCKED. It is a shame that such a bright professional with all of his education, training and lengthy career acts like this! Told my PCP and new Rheumy that a another dr.needs to pull him aside and find out what is going on with him---either that or he needs to retire.

Submitted March 26, 2011 | flag

I HAVE BEEN SEEING DR. CHETLIN FOR OVER 10 YEARS. I HAVE FOLLOWED HIM TO THREE DIFFERENT LOCATIONS OVER THE YEARS. IN THE BEGINNING HE WAS VERY HELPFUL. HE LISTENED TO ME AND AGREED WITH THE MEDICINE THAT I WANTED TO BE PUT ON. HOWEVER, AS TIME WENT ON, HE TRIED TO TELL ME THINGS THAT I DID NOT AGREE WITH AND IN FACT WERE NOT TRUE. BUT OUT OF RESPECT FOR HIM, I AGREED WITH HIM AND STAYED UNDER HIS CARE.AT MY LAST VISIT, NOVEMBER 2010, HE WAS ABSOLUTELY DISRESPECTFUL TO ME AND MY WIFE AND MY WELL BEING. HE DID NOT BELIEVE MY PAIN LEVEL, HE TRIED TO TELL ME THAT I WAS A "PILL HEAD",NOT HIS WORDS MINE, AND I ONLY TOOK THE MEDICATIONS THAT HE PRESCRIBED. HE WAS NOT THE SAME DR. CHETLIN THAT I HAVE COME TO KNOW. MY WIFE AND I WORK IN HEALTH CARE AND KNOW HOW PATIENTS ARE TO BE TREATED. THAT DAY HE CROSSED THE LINE TO THE POINT OF BEING BELIGERENT AND HE EVEN GOT RIGHT IN MY FACE.I AM MOVING ON AND I WILL NOT RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE.

Submitted March 2, 2011 | flag

I commented previously about how he emphasizes anxiety and depression. Well, he pushed me to admit that I was depressed and I did - I do have mild depression related to my illness. Then "anxiety" shows up on my chart and I wasn't satisfied with the explanation I got from him. At times, he had been too quick to jump to conclusions, but he was doing a lot to improve my physical health so I wanted to stay with him. We had communication issues and I felt frustrated with his strong personality. I feel he missed the mark with my mental health and I was very upset when he criticized doctors because they weren't the ones "he" would have picked (knee doctor, cognitive behav. therapist). In truth, I am sorry it didn't work out.

Submitted July 10, 2009 | flag

He emphasizes that stress, anxiety and depression worsen fibromyalgia. He believes in fibromyalgia, though. He gives very practical advice and is honest. I am 85% better than I was before FM treatment. Takes a "whole-body/whole-person" approach to treatment. He is now my rheumatologist AND primary care doctor. He does not believe in physical therapy for fibromyalgia but when I told him I was already seeing a therapist and warm-water therapy was very helpful, he said he would renew my script any time. He is flexible and I appreciate that. We discussed sleep hygiene, setting realistic goals, diet tips, the "20 minute rule" for activity (do 20 minutes, rest for 5 before trying more). He tries one medication at a time so he knows clearly if it is helping or not. He gives you options as to which medication to try and he will explain why he thinks the particular medicine may be a good option. I am on trazadone, flexeril, tylenol, mobic and this combination works for me and I work full-time.

Submitted Sept. 13, 2008 | flag

I have to agree with the previous review about Dr. Chetlin. I did have to wait over an hour after my scheduled appointment to see Dr. Chetlin, but he spent an hour and a half with me once he finally came back to the examination room, which is unheard of these days. If you listen to him, he will listen to you, and he is very honest.

Submitted March 20, 2008 | flag

I'm an RN for 30 years, fibromyalgia for 20-25 years, I've never met an MD more interested (or even interested at all!) in helping until now. I feel I've finally met a physician that rivals MY compassion and caring of patients.

Submitted Feb. 29, 2008 | flag