Dr. Kareem M. Abu-Elmagd

Foreign Lang: Arabic

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.6 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 12 reviews. Dr. Kareem M. Abu-Elmagd has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Surgeon (general)-related: microsurgery, general surgery, trauma surgery, transplant surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

06/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.9

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Kareem" to "Kareem M."

09/10/13 SYSTEM: location removed: Pittsburgh, PA
RID: 2636649
30/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr Kareem is one of a kind. He is a very gifted surgeon and very blessed. He has just so much time to do what he has to do for so many people, so when others aren't on the same page, it can be upsetting to those folks. Thank you for giving me my daughter 5 additional years Dr Kareem.  Respond
RID: 2606737
03/04/13 3 1 2 5 He in doubt is a gifted surgeon but he is very condescending to women in general. He has broken the record at Upmc for how bad he treats nurses and how many he has made cry. If your treated like a God then you begin to act like one. Everyone is well aware of how he treats people and his horrible bedside manner. When you are in a life or death situation you just want to live and he is very good at that. As a whole considering all the surgeons I worked with .. They don't have the best bedside manner. If I have to choose I want it all for the amount of money this top heavy healthcare system costs. If I know your competent, certified and gifted.. I want to be able to talk with you and fill comfortable if you are cutting me open!
Insurance: UPMC
Respond

19/08/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2384452

25/07/12 1 3 5 4 Very condescending, and easily bothered if you ask too many questions. He mistreats nurses regularly in front of patients and while he is knowledgeable and seems caring most times, his bed side manners need much improvement. He saved my life once and will be grateful, but the emotional toll on wife and family due to his rudeness at times is hard to swallow. I was told it is because of the different culture of where he comes from. May be. But he's been here a long time and should know what to say and not to say. He is a prima donna no doubt, but if you can take the abuse, go with him.
RID: 1348475
27/01/11 5 5 5 5 My father-in-law came to Dr. Kareem after surgeons in major hospitals in the DC, Baltimore, and Richmond area said there was no hope. He had a coloscopy bag and all other specialists said he would always have to wear it and would probably die in 6 months. Dr. Kareem was able to reconect him and he is still living after 10 years. Thank you Dr. Kareem and staff  Respond
RID: 1173601
20/05/10 5 4 5 5 I have had several abdominal surgeries and my prognosis looked dim until I met Dr. Kareem. Dr. Kareem is an unbeliebable surgeon and his staff is always on top of things. They are in my experience of seeing many doctors, surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, ets. the BEST!! and they truely care abuot their patients. Anyone needing any type of abdominal surgery or if they have any obscure condition or disease in the abdomin must see him. He not only saved my life but he gave me a quality of life. I was able to return to work and work full time. I have three small children and I am able to keep up with them. He strives not to keep you alive but so you have a life. Dr. Kareem did what no other surgeon could do. I just wish I went to him first.
RID: 1116198
27/02/10 5 3 5 5 I trust Dr. Kareem with my daughter's life. I know she's in the best hands possible.  Respond
RID: 1107631
16/02/10 5 3 5 5 Dr Kareem is by far the most caring compassionate and dedicated Doctor/Person I have ever came across in the medical field. If it were not for him my sister would not be alive today. He stands behind his oath of a doctor and does not want any recognition for his outstanding work, giving all the credit to God for saving lives. His staff (Dr. Costa, Dr. Woo, all the nurses and coordinators) also go above and beyond for not only the patient but the entire family as well. After putting in a long day at clinic and god knows how many hours of surgery, he never loses the smile on his face or his sense of humor. I would sing praise to the roof tops for Dr. Kareem and his whole staff and would without hesitation recommend him to anyone in need of his services.
Insurance: UPMC
RID: 1048703

03/12/09 3 1 1 3 I had horrible experiences with Dr Abu-Elmagd. He badly misdiagnosed me as having cancer and needing a 5-organ transplant when in fact I did not have cancer and needed only a liver transplant. He was patronizing and dismissive, and after I withdrew from his services, he called me and left a message telling me that I was going to die without him. Though he may in fact be a talented surgeon, I strongly suggest that anyone considering his treatment get a second opinion at the Mayo Clinic, where I was correctly diagnosed and received a liver transplant from an excellent, sympathetic, team of doctors.  Respond
RID: 977927
01/09/09 5 3 5 5 I love Dr Kareem. He did my surgery 10 years ago. He removed the left lobe of my liver, I had a cyst. He is very caring doctor. He often runs late for his appointments since he is very busy, but and his caring and knowledge make up for it. He is not only a good doctor but a very special person.
RID: 894975
23/05/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Kareem Abu-Elmagd is an extraordinary surgeon. If you need a transplant or general surgeon, I would say run, not walk to this doctor. His attentiveness and concern for patients is unparalleled. He is brilliant, thorough, methodical, and funny! He talks TO patients, not down to them. He treats each case as if he were treating himself, or his family. In short, he's the gold standard for surgeons. Relatedly: I strongly disagree with the reviewer who spoke negatively about Dr. Bond, who works with Dr. Kareem. I found Dr. Bond to be caring and conscientious, and would highly recommend him as well.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 711562
28/10/08 5 4 5 5 I would rate Dr Kareen the best most knowledgeable person I ever met in his field. He seems to be off in space at times but really his mind never stops. The man works countless hours and always has time for the visit. I am a post opt patient, he seems that he does not trust other doctors with there handling of you unless he is informed and talks to them. At first I though this man can't be for real, but he is.
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 308431
04/05/07 2 5 5 Kareem is terrific! He is mainly a transplant surgeon for livers and muti-viseral transplants but he also does other abdominal surgeries that deal with bile ducts and other digestive factors. He cares immensely for his patients and becomes very protective of them, especially his transplant patients. Punctuality isn't great but you can't plan when a organ becomes ready for transplant or when an easy surgery turns out to be complicated. I recomend though that you demand never to be seen by Dr Bond from his team unless you like doctors who could care less about you or how you feel physically or you enjoy pain. Some of his staff members that aren't doctors are on the flakey useless side but some of the nurses are top notch. Anyone needing complicated repair work or transplants I would send to him immediately.